1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I do always have always will

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I wear a helmet in a helmet less state mainly to put my mom's fears at ease. She wants me to please wear a helmet so I do. I guess I could lie to her but that's not something I find tasteful.

I will admit the few times I've gone without a helmet are enjoyable. The freedom of getting on and off a motorcycle without having to strap on a helmet is a great feeling.

Even so, I've seen too many riders the intensive care units of hospitals who probably wouldn't have been there if they had been wearing a helmet when they've crashed. Guess I'd rather have the freedom of staying out of intensive care than the freedom of not wearing a lid.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Helmet - Yes

I ALWAYS ride with a helmet. I'm in Arizona with no helmet laws (except helmets are required for under 18 years old). Even in the Phoenix summer.

When I was in high school (many eons ago) a friend of mine took the convertable top clean off of a Cadillac that he t-boned when it made a left turn in front of him (no helmet). I routinely visited him in the hospital but he never seemed really ok. He seemed to know who I was. He didn't remember the accident but we explained what happened and he accepted it.

After about 3 months (still in the hospital) in the middle of a visit, he suddenly looked at me and with great suprise said "Larry... what are you doing here? ... What am I doing here?" ... He was finally "better but not 100%". Over the years he probably made it to 80%... he was lucky.

He made me promise to wear a helmet.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
I think people running synthetic tend to wear helmets if they have loud pipes and only wave at harley riders, except those wearing chaps that do not have health insurance.

I am hoping whether or not I may wear a helmet will not influence your decision.

rkc

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I think people running synthetic tend to wear helmets if they have loud pipes and only wave at harley riders, except those wearing chaps that do not have health insurance.

I am hoping whether or not I may wear a helmet will not influence your decision.

rkc

And the award for best answer goes to......... RKC..

Well played sir.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts

rkc
:cool: :cool:

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I always wear a helmet. I do it for me, not the law. I also wear armored clothing, boots and good gloves. I believe in ATGATT. I do this because I particularly like my face and body to remain as they are. I have ridden about 250,000 miles in my life. All but three or four hundred of those miles have been with a helmet. When I ride to Sturgis and pass through Wyoming, there is two small deserted roads I take for about 130 miles, Routes 387 and 450. I sometimes take off my helmet there just to experience riding without a helmet. Thjere are no cross roads. It is flat and straight. That's about it for helmetless riding for me.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,821 Posts

rkc
What if you have a loud, uninsured, assless, synthetic helmet with waves painted on it? :stir2:

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I'm 50/50 on wearing it. when the wife rides with me I do, because If I do not she has a clear shot to the kidney area of me right side. So it is less painful to wear it.. When I ride in the cold I wear a full face, with intercom. It's warmer, and I can talk on the CB, anf the music is nice in there.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Always have, always will.

My son went down 2 yrs ago, he was wearing a skorpion full face. Doc told him he wouldn't have a left ear if it weren' for the helmet.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I always wear a helmet and replace them every 5 years, most don't know its recommended by the manufacturers that they be replaced every 5 years.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I'm assuming that the OP means real helmet and not the " it's a real helmet dude, see it's on my head!" beanies etc. I wear the real one 90% of the time and do take it off if we're out in the country away from traffic. I seem to where it more every year maybe because I care less about how cool I look and more about staying healthy and keeping my wits about me ..... what little I have left. :blink:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts