V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. First post! I have a helmet question:

I'm going to be getting my first bike in a few weeks (Sportster) and I'm looking at what helmet I should get. For safety issues I lean towards a full face. The main problem I have is that I wear glasses. I have yet to find a full face model that I can wear with glasses - the sides of the helmet crush the temples. I have an additional problem in that I have BIG EARS. Makes getting the danged things on and off really painful!

The next alternative is a 3/4 helmet with a full shield. MUCH more comfortable. (Although the HD ones make my head look like a mushroom.) I live in San Diego so cold weather riding isn't really a problem.

Does anyone have suggestions for us nerdy types?? Should I just forget about it and go with the 3/4 helmet, big head and all? Or, is there a brand or style of full face that might work?

(And yes I'm thinking about lasik, but, well, it's either that or the bike. Easy choice!) :brows:

((And no, I'm not going to have the ears fixed.)) :unsure:

Thanks!

·
But officer........
28 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. As far as helmets, i wear an HJC AC-3 3/4 helmet. Comfortable and is DOT and Snell approved. Don't worry about how you look with a helmet on your head because is will look better than your brains on the pavement.

HJC AC-3 Features
Lightweight, fiberglass and Spectra® shell construction
Nylon strap retention band neatly secures the chin strap
Removable/washable, Nylex® inner liner and cheek pads
A Triple intake forehead vent is combined with a channeled styro liner and two rear venturi exhaust vents to allow for flow-through ventilation
Visor (included) and optional shield feature the quick and easy, tool-less shields removal/replacement system
Built-in communication system speaker pockets

good luck

Dino

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Get to a "Cycle Gear" and try on a few, they usually have a good selection. Check the full price range of hats, the expensive ones get stolen and a cheap hat may fit you better. I wear earplugs and a skull cap under my full face :chopper:

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Best price and best selection has always been (dare I say it) at the Honda shop. H-D caries H-D and maybe a few others, Honda carries several different makers and styles. Go try a few on and see what fits. Fit is the most important thing, not looks. Try one of the ones that the look like a full face but the entire front flips up to make it like putting on a 3/4 helment. My wife loves here Shoei and she wears glasses.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks!

There are several large Honda shops in town, as well as a Cycle Gear. I'll go check them out.

Noob question - I often see people with bandanas on under their helmets. Does this help with getting it on and off? :dunno:

·
We're still here ya know
689 Posts
I wear a full face all the time, not as much for safety as for the fact that I don't like $hit hitting me in the face.

If your glasses are squeezing your temples, a 3/4 isn't going to help as a 3/4 covers your temples as well. I have a pair of Oakley sunglasses that I love, but their thick frames (the over the ear part) make them a pain in the arse with the helmet on. I went to a pair that has a frame that is pretty much flat on the sides and they work great. Also remember that a new helmet does not have much "give" in it's cushion, after you wear it a while, it will get more comfortable.

Good luck...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Me and the wife both have the Full faced / Flip-Up fronts, similar to the ones here...........

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.433673/sc.2/category.39/.f

And they have been great so far !
( Wife is a little clostraphobic... and being able to lift either the "Glass", or the entire front in a hurry was important to her as she feared she might Freak and not be able to get outta the helmet fast enogh....lol ! * She hasnt "Freaked" yet... but has lifted the glass a few times to let the air wash over her face to help her fight back a moment or two ! * )

I had your same issue about glasses.... except I wear Sun Glasses, and not perscripts.
Most helmets would make wearing them unbearable after a short time.... but this one I have seems to have some extra "Ear Room".... while still fitting snug on my head.

Good advice was given tho....... Go try some on.
Thats how you'll know for sure !

Good Luck.......

Budds.........

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah - these full-face flip-ups are getting pretty good recommendations. I'll have to look at those too.

I think I know what I'll be doing on the day after Thanksgiving....beats the heck out of fighting the black Friday crowds for presents for other people!

(And I'm appreciating the fact that no one's commenting on the big ears.)

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
There are many places to shop here in San Diego, but after a while you'll start running into the same merchandise, just in different shops. There are 2 Cycle Gears, one in Kearney Mesa and the other in El Cajon across from the mall. Kearney Mesa is bigger and has a larger selection. Shop the on-line store 1st and see if they have any on-line sales. If you find something you like, print it up and the stores will match the on-line price, all you have to do is find the right size..... and both have a 10% military discount.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm using a Caberg Justissimo - Full-face, flip-up, with built in flip-up sun visor. It's comfortable, but noisy. I wear ear plugs.

I liked my Shuberth Concept I, but I broke it and the Concept II is twice as much as the Caberg.

I also have a $49 model from J.C. Whitney. Pretty ordinary, but it is DOT approved and not too noisy. It's not a flip-up and I find it a pain to take my glasses on and off every time.

You have to try on helmets because they are shaped differently inside. Some are oval and some are more round. You have to find the model that matches your head shape.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK - thanks to everyone's help.

Today I picked up my new bike ('06 1200R) and at the same time a new helmet - an Arai Profile. I looked at a bunch of stores in the last week, trying on a bunch of things. This morning when I went in to get the bike I didn't have a helmet yet - just hadn't gotten the right vibe. But I got lucky - the dealership where I bought the bike actually carries Arai, and one of the women working in accessories really knows her **** when it comes to helmets! She spent a full hour with me going over everything and trying a bunch of different things. In the end I picked the Arai with really thin cheek pads and it fits perfectly. My glasses slip right in and it only rubs my ears a bit taking it on and off.

This evening I rode around on my new bike with my new helmet, and it was perfect - as soon as I got moving I forgot that I even had the helmet on. It fogged up a bit when I had the face shield completely closed but I think I can work around that. I'll probably end up getting a half-helmet for warm days but I'm really glad to get a full face for daily riding.

So thanks to the advice and encouragement here and big kudos out to the staff of San Diego HD.

Onward and upward.... :chopper:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Check out Scorpion helmets (exo-700)...top of the line stuff. Both my wife and I have glasses, wide framed, and the helmets fit great...best of all you get a helmet with features that a 600 dollar helmet has, but for 200 bucks.

Snell and DOT rated, not to mention lightweight.

http://www.scorpionusa.com/products/street.html

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Cdouthitt said:
I'll second the Scorpion helmet. I bought one about 3 months ago after looking at many much pricier helmets and it's great. I actually went to the store ready to plunk down the cash for an Arai, but after trying on and comparing features with the Scorpion, and seeing it was 1/3 the price, I snatched it up.

I wear Panoptix glasses for riding that I had prescription lenses put in. They have a pretty wide frame, but after a few break-in hours with the helmet I can wear them very comfortably. The helmet liner even seems like it would accommodate some fairly large ears.:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Big thumbs up on the Scorpion. I love mine and I wear perscription glasses. I also have shoei and arai and the scorpion is more comfortable and doesn't fog.

Regards, SSC

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, enjoy!

·
ALOHA, marooned Doof
249 Posts
Helemets...

Cdouthitt said:
Check out Scorpion helmets (exo-700)...top of the line stuff. Both my wife and I have glasses, wide framed, and the helmets fit great...best of all you get a helmet with features that a 600 dollar helmet has, but for 200 bucks.

Snell and DOT rated, not to mention lightweight.

http://www.scorpionusa.com/products/street.html
@gree:
Since the the 2nd is taken will have to be 3rds.... Scorpion is a quality helemet.... wife and kids love'em.

Get the sales person to demonstrate the "anti-fog" feature of their visors and best of all the quick change from one shield to another. Additionally, the inner liner are removable and washable and replacable.

No high gloss junk to have to put up with...however...if you desire (do not know why)..you can change the little "do-dads" to something shiny...the price is $179.00 (exo-400) in Hawaii so sould be less on the big rock.

Punky
'05 Ultra Classic

1 - 20 of 26 Posts