V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
The deaths are a tragedy to be sure.

The columnist is a bit of a dope however. In his overall plug for going back to mandatory helmet laws he gives motorcycle death statistics, but does not back that with the percentage of those fatalities attributed to head trauma.

"A National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study showed that in the three years before helmet-law repeal, 9 percent of the 515 motorcyclists killed in Florida were not wearing a helmet. In the three years after the repeal, 61 percent of the 933 fatally injured motorcyclists were not wearing a helmet."

This statement is laughable... of course the percentage of fatalities for non helmet wearing riders will escalate when the helmet law no longer exists... what a maroon.

My guess is that the truth would not support his argument so he just edited that part out.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
....and $1600 worth of helmets won't save you from a Stanley Steamer truck or the other smucks that "can't" see you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hogg831 said:
....and $1600 worth of helmets won't save you from a Stanley Steamer truck or the other smucks that "can't" see you.

exactly why I always ride as if I'm invisible. I don' t expect the schmucks to see me anytime (and I carry a million in life insurance and tons of health and disability insurance). But hey, each to his own, I like a good helmet.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Automobile/head trauma accidents claim many more lives than do motorcycle/head trauma accidents.

Many lives could be saved by enacting laws that require all motor vehicle occupants to wear helmets.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sinker said:
Automobile/head trauma accidents claim many more lives than do motorcycle/head trauma accidents.

Many lives could be saved by enacting laws that require all motor vehicle occupants to wear helmets.
Yikes!!!!! there's a thought. Next we'll have to wear helmets around the house to "protect" us from cabinet doors and stuff falling off the refrigerator.

I live in a helmet optional state (PA), near the border of a helmet optional but must carry state (DE). In congested areas, I always wear. In the boonies, it depends.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
DelcoDyna said:
I live in a helmet optional state (PA), near the border of a helmet optional but must carry state (DE).
WTF.... optional but must carry?!?! You have to wonder who came up with that one and more importantly... why?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Sinker said:
Yep, but most of the motorsicklist that "think" they are safer and were a helmet... I'll bet they don't wear them in their cars. %[email protected]

·
Registered
96 Posts
8-Ball said:
WTF.... optional but must carry?!?! You have to wonder who came up with that one and more importantly... why?
Bizarre, eh? here's the statute:

Part III. Operation and Equipment. Chapter 41. Rules of the Road. Subchapter XI. Miscellaneous Rules. Section 4185:
" . . . (b) Every person operating or riding on a motorcycle shall have in that person's possession a safety helmet approved by the Secretary of Public Safety and shall wear eye protection approved by the Secretary; provided, however, that every person up to 19 years of age operating or riding on a motorcycle shall wear a safety helmet and eye protection approved by the Secretary."

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Sprung said:
What's a car?:nono:
:duh?: What was I thinking? :laugh:

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
DelcoDyna said:
Bizarre, eh? here's the statute:

Part III. Operation and Equipment. Chapter 41. Rules of the Road. Subchapter XI. Miscellaneous Rules. Section 4185:
" . . . (b) Every person operating or riding on a motorcycle shall have in that person's possession a safety helmet approved by the Secretary of Public Safety and shall wear eye protection approved by the Secretary; provided, however, that every person up to 19 years of age operating or riding on a motorcycle shall wear a safety helmet and eye protection approved by the Secretary."

Weird.:blink:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Washington has a weird one also. You're required to wear a helmet unless your bike is an antique, or, if you install seatbelts and a rollbar.

STATUTE:Title 46. Motor Vehicles. Chapter 46.37. Vehicle Lighting and Other Equipment. Section 46.37.530. Motorcycles, Motor-driven Cycles, or Mopeds--helmets, Other Equipment--Children--Rules. :
"(1) It is unlawful:
"(c) For any person to operate or ride upon a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or moped on a state highway, county road, or city street unless wearing upon his or her head a protective helmet of a type conforming to rules adopted by the state patrol except when the vehicle is an antique motor-driven cycle or automobile that is licensed as a motorcycle or when the vehicle is equipped with seat belts and roll bars approved by the state patrol. The helmet must be equipped with either a neck or chin strap which shall be fastened securely while the motorcycle or motor-driven cycle is in motion; . . ."

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
hogg831 said:
and the Caddy's, SUV's, etc...with blind old fuks...I grew up down there and when the "newlywed/nearly dead" crowd started to outnumber the rest of us I skedaddled...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BryanL said:
Washington has a weird one also. You're required to wear a helmet unless your bike is an antique, or, if you install seatbelts and a rollbar.

STATUTE:Title 46. Motor Vehicles. Chapter 46.37. Vehicle Lighting and Other Equipment. Section 46.37.530. Motorcycles, Motor-driven Cycles, or Mopeds--helmets, Other Equipment--Children--Rules. :
"(1) It is unlawful:
"(c) For any person to operate or ride upon a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or moped on a state highway, county road, or city street unless wearing upon his or her head a protective helmet of a type conforming to rules adopted by the state patrol except when the vehicle is an antique motor-driven cycle or automobile that is licensed as a motorcycle or when the vehicle is equipped with seat belts and roll bars approved by the state patrol. The helmet must be equipped with either a neck or chin strap which shall be fastened securely while the motorcycle or motor-driven cycle is in motion; . . ."

Didn't anybody tell 'em.....all Harleys are antiques :cheers:

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Proper rider training and proper riding techniques save far more lives than helmets ever will.
The death toll is unfornunate for sure, but how many were newbies and how many were doing somthing stupid when it happened, like drinking and riding or speeding in a congested city area.
Statistics are posted to be used by the poster to make their point and genreally do not reflect reality.
I have no doubt that helmets would have saved a few lives, but it is a bandaid solution to the real problem, inexperienced riders, idiots on bikes and idiots driving cages that do not pay attention.
The unforuate reality is, these statistics are used againest us to force the bandaid solution, just like seatbelts and airbags.
If we had strictor licience requirements for cars and bikes, and people showed just a little more respect for fellow users of the road, we could greatly reduce both car and bike fatalities, but it is way to easy to get a operators licience and people are to self centered to consider anybody else on the road but themselfs.
I have a saying here in TX, people are very nice until you put them behind the wheel of a car, than they all turn into a$$holes that own the road.
I just feal good that a DOT approved helment has not evolved into a full face helment due to government pressure and idiots writing reports like the one in the link above.
And "Helmet Laws Suck" but I ride with one 80% of the time, my chouse.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't ride anywhere without a helmet on my head. Wouldn't even want to think about going down without one. It's pretty amazing that so many choose not to wear a helmet. It's your head god dammit!

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I continue to make this assertation...IF you hit something hard enough with your melon to kill you without a helmet, the most you can hope for with one on is to be able to steer your wheelchair with your tongue...but you'll stll look good doing it :blink:

Odd nobody tracks long term care cost related to neck injuries in sometimes minor accidents...Insurance companies are basically guaranteed to be profitable so they should take themselves out of the debate...

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
swmnkdinthervr,
I continue to make this assertation...IF you hit something hard enough with your melon to kill you without a helmet, the most you can hope for with one on is to be able to steer your wheelchair with your tongue...but you'll stll look good
Not true, It only takes a minor blow to give you a sub-dural Hemmatoma (sp) which can kill you after a few hours just like an all at once head blow which is only about a 4mph impact.

I know 2 people who went down and hit their head and spent 3 days in intensive care and almost died with no other injuries to their body except road rash. Both still ride, one with a helmet and one still without a helmet.

So that line does not wash. But it is your chouse to believe it so be it, and it should be your chouse to wear a helmet. So ride safe and have fun, that's what it's all about.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts