V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a Schuberth C2 ? I love the quality of this helmet but it seems to magnify the low frequency noise from my Rinehart pipes up till 3k rpm. Any advice / solutions other than ear plugs ? Also any ideas on installing a mike and speakers ?

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
ditto said:
Does anyone have a Schuberth C2 ? I love the quality of this helmet but it seems to magnify the low frequency noise from my Rinehart pipes up till 3k rpm. Any advice / solutions other than ear plugs ? Also any ideas on installing a mike and speakers ?
I gave a Shoei a test drive and because of this same issue you describe, got something else. (Not of the Shoei quality either).

I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has resolved that issue as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I know you said "beside earplugs", but custom molded earplugs made my Shoei FF liveable.

I was shocked to ride a naked bike and find out just how quiet that Shoei is when it isn't behind an EG fairing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has resolved that issue as well.
After years of riding I got tired of wearing ear plugs.....I switched to an HJC 1/2 helmet. Maybe not the answer you're looking for, but it is quiet. I have no (zero,nada,zilch) helmet noise, I can hear traffic and I can have a conversation with my wife when she rides with me, my ears don't ring and I'm not deaf for hours after a ride. I did sacrifice a bit of protection (and you never know when you're gonna need it), but I just got tired of having to deal with it

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cripula said:
I know you said "beside earplugs", but custom molded earplugs made my Shoei FF liveable.

I was shocked to ride a naked bike and find out just how quiet that Shoei is when it isn't behind an EG fairing.
My bike is an FLHTCUI. I love the cold weather and "in the rain" benefits of the full face, I just can't believe there isn't a way to stop the reverb...

·
Registered
46 Posts
i had the same problem with a shoei rf1000. the reverb noise was so bad it was painful. if my plugs didn't have the perfect fit, it was so painful i wanted to pull over and through the helmet in the ditch.
i complained to shoei about the noise and asked if any one else ever complained about the noise. they said no and sent me different ear pads to try in the helmet. they didn't work either so and they sent me an x11 to try. what a nice helmet! the pain is gone and the noise is tolerable for short rides. i plug up for long rides to protect my hearing. i think you are crazy not to wear plugs on a long ride with that constant rumble. if a guy wears plugs operating heavy equipment and lawn mowers, why not on a h.d.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I wear a Shoei RF1000. Helmet noise isn't too bad because I wear ear plugs on long rides or I'll listen to the stereo through helmet mounted speakers. My Ultra's exhaust is stock. This helps eliminate noise amplification inside the helmet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
ditto said:
My bike is an FLHTCUI. I love the cold weather and "in the rain" benefits of the full face, I just can't believe there isn't a way to stop the reverb...
I think most of that noise is a result of air tubulence coming up from the bottom of the fairing. My next plan is to try a set of the fairing wind deflectors that bolt on. But the Ultra comes with those, does it not?

Definitely take some other helmets out for a test ride - you might get lucky.

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
dwarthog said:
I gave a Shoei a test drive and because of this same issue you describe, got something else. (Not of the Shoei quality either).

I have an HJC that does the same thing. Earplugs was the answer for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I honestly don't think it's the helmet at all. On my Ultra with SE slipons the sound resonated through my KBC Racer 1 to the point it hurt. I put the stock mufflers on for a trip from Wisconsin to Deals Gap and back and had no problems, the stockers are still on and I love it, I've grown to appreciate the more mellow sound. As a bonus I can listen to the stereo, and hear the voice prompts of my GPS with no problem (through the speakers not helmet speakers)

I know it goes against the grain of loud pipes are cool, but for the type of riding I do, the trips I take and the things I want to hear, stock pipes are the answer.

I am also a big fan of quality riding gear because I learned on the same trip that falling down hurts, so it's FF helmet everytime I ride and that is more important to me than pipe music. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have both a Scuberth C2 and the S1. Got the C2 first.

After getting the S1 I no longer use the C2. Thought I would miss the "flipup" feature of the C2, but I don't. The S1 is extremely quiet.

I have Bassani's on my RK, Arrows on my Ducati. I didn't really notice the C2 amplifing the noise at low RPms (I never use earplugs), rather just more wind noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Explain it , plesase

cripula said:

Why is any helmet is less quiet when it is behind fairing? I know it is true , but I'don't understand the logic. Could you explain it to me? :eek:
Thank you

Bruxi

·
Registered
164 Posts
On the EG there's a lot of air flow that comes up from under the fairing. It seems to hit the underside of the helmet and reverberate. On a naked bike with the airflow coming straight at me, rather than up from below, there was almost no helmet noise. The helmet was quieter on a Street Rod without wearing ear plugs than it is on my EG wearing custom molded plugs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts