V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding a Sportster with no windshield and a 3/4 helmet for years with no problem. Bought an '06 Street Glide, and headed out on a 300 mile highway run with that insanely short (4") windscreen it came with. Needless to say, my ears were ringing when I stopped. Bad news is they've never recovered. I'd had slight tinitus before, but it's doubled ever since that ride. I've since gone to a 9" Clearview shield with the recurve feature and custom ear plugs. Now, with the plugs, I get more of a reverb, oilcan type of effect when riding, but I know it's protecting my ears (what's left of them). When I ride the Sporty, it's much quieter. I'm guessing that it's the even distribution of air vs. the channeling the EG's fairing does to throw it all at the top of your helmet. What do you all think? Would an open face, 1/2 helemt be quieter? It seems to be wind noise more than exhaust (Rhinehart True Duals).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Can't say I have any good answers for you. Have worn 3/4 helmet most of the time, but changed to Full when I took a ride up into the high country (colder) and did not realize what I had been missing (avoiding). Wind noise, I have heard, can be worse than pipes.
You don't feel as fatiqued after a long ride when I use the full face helmet. I use ear plugs now but do not like them. Rode for many years without shield. My heritage blocks enough but have riden without the shield for short periods and had to ask myself "what the heck am I doing?"

By the way, I just got an e-glide and ordered a windshield from the same company to replace the little windbreaker

good luck

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
good question. my RK is the first bike i have had with a fairing.

it creates a perfect bubble for the passenger - wife is totally relaxed with it.

it makes a LOT of noise around my helmet, not matter if i look over, under, whatever.

i hate it. quieter without fairing. wife won't do highway speeds without it.
might get on highway, pull over, set on back, and hold it up till she gets going.

let her drive

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
I wear a 3/4 helmet and own four of them. A cheapie department store version was the first and the wind noise is terrible.Couldn't even hear my pipes at speed. AFX-5 medium. Not quite as much wind noise. HJC CS-5 large. Very quiet as far as wind noise,and can hear my pipes at speed.
I bought another HJC CS-5 yesterday. Medium size this time for the smaller shell. I think this one is quiet as far as wind noise is concerned also. It was snowing when I left the shop on the bike,so I haven't tried it at freeway speeds yet.
The HJCs are well worth a try,and the best for me. My Indy gets $65 for them.
I ride with a windshield.

kshapiro said:
Been riding a Sportster with no windshield and a 3/4 helmet for years with no problem. Bought an '06 Street Glide, and headed out on a 300 mile highway run with that insanely short (4") windscreen it came with. Needless to say, my ears were ringing when I stopped. Bad news is they've never recovered. I'd had slight tinitus before, but it's doubled ever since that ride. I've since gone to a 9" Clearview shield with the recurve feature and custom ear plugs. Now, with the plugs, I get more of a reverb, oilcan type of effect when riding, but I know it's protecting my ears (what's left of them). When I ride the Sporty, it's much quieter. I'm guessing that it's the even distribution of air vs. the channeling the EG's fairing does to throw it all at the top of your helmet. What do you all think? Would an open face, 1/2 helemt be quieter? It seems to be wind noise more than exhaust (Rhinehart True Duals).

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I have a road king and I can't wear a full face helmet with the windshield on. The reverb is terrible. If I take the windshield off it's fine. I also cannot wear a half helmet with windshield off cause the helemt straps create too much wind noise (whistleing sound). With the shield on the 1/2 helmet is fine.

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
njyamahauler said:
I have a road king and I can't wear a full face helmet with the windshield on. The reverb is terrible. If I take the windshield off it's fine. I also cannot wear a half helmet with windshield off cause the helemt straps create too much wind noise (whistleing sound). With the shield on the 1/2 helmet is fine.
My 3/4 (HD made by HJC) is noisy (wind) behind the fairing, unless I flip up the visor, then it's quiet. It's either wind hitting the top of the visor, or coming up from under the faring and getting in the helmet. I'm starting to think it's the later.

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
kshapiro said:
My 3/4 (HD made by HJC) is noisy (wind) behind the fairing, unless I flip up the visor, then it's quiet. It's either wind hitting the top of the visor, or coming up from under the faring and getting in the helmet. I'm starting to think it's the later.
I have found that visors or face shields do increase the wind noise and buffeting.
I'm not riding an EG,but I do ride with a windshield. The updraft from under the fairing could very well be a problem. I have the rigid mount compact windshield. It allows a wide range of adjustibility,both for height and angle. I've found that I have to tweek my windshield for different helmets or even glasses. The face shield works fine without the windshield,but doesn't with the windshield.

·
Registered
203 Posts
http://www.helmetharbor.com/streethelmets/helmets/schuberth/s1/schuberth_s1.htm

If you want quiet... and have money to burn.... take a look at the Schuberth!
This company is located in Gilbert AZ so I was able to stop in and try one on. The nice thing about this is there is an internal sun visor (Germany does not allow tinted external visors). No need for sun glasses!
It's quiet alright, but you better not be claustophobic cause it's a tight fit. I wish I had known about his before I purchased my Shoei full face 3 years ago. Even then, the price is well above the Shoei.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Helmet Noise

Wind noise has been a problem with me, especially on long trips. I have used full-faced helmets for a few years now. Cars never seem to pay attention to you, so I want the most protection I can get...

Does anyone have experience with some of the newer Bell helmets with the chin spoiler on them? That may be an option if it does divert the airstream around your head.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was going to rain the other day, so I wore my 3/4. I found out that the wind that's bothrting me is coming from under the fairing. I'm wondering if Kuryakyn's Dragon Wings will help.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Dragon Wings and lower fairing

kshapiro said:
It was going to rain the other day, so I wore my 3/4. I found out that the wind that's bothrting me is coming from under the fairing. I'm wondering if Kuryakyn's Dragon Wings will help.
I have an Ultra which has the lower fairing. I don't really notice noise, and I wear a 3/4 helmet. The lowers might be why. Perhaps you could purchase the vinyl or leather snap on lowers for your engine guard.

I also recently purchased the Dragon Wings. Their coverage is only slightly more than the smoked attachments that the MOCO sells as standard equip on an Ultra. The advantage with the Dragon Wings is that you can open them up to get ventilation on a hot day. And they are adjustible so you can change how open you want them. With the MOCO's attachments, you have to remove them if you want more ventilation, so they are an all or nothing proposition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts