V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted a few times already, but thought I would take the chance to introduce myself. I am 24 yr old guy living in DFW. My 02 FLSTFI is my first road bike. I have ridden dirt as teenager and always been interested in road bikes. Over the years, my dad always had a bike mainly a late-60s Triumph and an 80s Virago. A few years back, i got the Harley he had been waiting 40 years for. He got a pearl white Heritage Classic. This really got my thinking about bikes. But I was in college and had no money. Well, I thought I would get something cheap for a starter bike. But ride on my dad's and then on a Shadow ACE, fixed that idea. I could feel for the first time without a doubt, there was something special in Harley, and I wanted it.

So, I started calling thinking. I got on several waiting lists and hoped and dreamed as I finished college. Well a year later, I had graduated all the lists were already filled for '02 and I still was not at the top. Just a coincidence made me call the local dealer and amazingly, he had two one that week and one about 6 weeks out for $21,400 TTL. More than I would have paid on the lists, but I thought the chance of getting on '03 bike was slim, and MSRP would be going up. So I reserved the one 6 weeks out and started budgeting like mad. This is my first job out of college and I dont have a lot of bills, but I had to commit to only eating out so often, etc. But when I drove to the dealer and saw her sitting in the parking lot it was all worth it :)

Now, I have had her about 4 weeks, I have 1600 miles on it and I am heading to Sturgis in less than 3 weeks. It is still like a new toy, and I dont mind riding anything less than a real downpour, and I think that trailers belong under boats. I have added a windshield, sissy bad, luggage rack, SE stage 1 intake, pipes off a Heritage with baffles removed, a power commander, and few little accents. I have pages of other things to add eventually. It will be a never ending project for me. Ahd then someday, I might get a Buell for another play toy.

I love the bike. I am definitely glad that I went with the best first. I am not going out much after work any more, but the looks from half the people on the road, the thumbs up from the little kids, the smiles from the 80 year old men, the double takes from the women are worth so much more. And most of all, when you leave that last house behind, hit fields and trees, and the Texas night air drops 10 degrees, you can hear the wind rushing around the windshield, and the pipes rumbling somewhere behind you, NOTHING else matters.

p.s. was gonna post a pic, but it does not seem to want to.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Great story! Glad that you got your dream bike. Nice picture and hopefully see you at Sturgis! Enjoy the forum and post often.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Welcome RidingFerret. Great looking scoot!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sweet scoot. I haven't been here long, but it's good to have you here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts