V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, this is my first time doing this sort of thing. I've been reading all sorts of posts, and this seems like a cool forum.

My name is Don I haven't had a scooter in years. My dad past away due to cancer in October, and my best memories were riding with him. He had built a chopper in the late 70's and in '81 I got to ride it next to him, at the age of 16 to Sturgis. Him on his FLHE Heritage, and me on the chop. An experience of a life time. In '83 he bought me a FXR for graduation, cause he was worried I'd kill myself on the chopper. In between then and now life happened, I was in the military for 10 years, and now work for one of the big railroads as a locomotive engineer, aka hog head.

Anyway, I just ordered an '06 Softail Springer Classic, and it won't be here until sometime in April. Needless to say I'm a bit restless, having a hard time getting to sleep, buying scooter mags, and surfing web looking at parts and other scooters. My girlfriend says I'm acting like an expecting father. The waiting part sucks. I wanted to buy this bike last year when it came out, for my 40th, but dad was getting worse all the time so I held off. I sure miss my pop's, I think once I get back into the wind, he will be with me in spirit. Take care all, see ya on the road soon.

Later all,

Don

:chopper:

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Welcome! I was stationed at the old George AFB from 1986 - 1988. I worked at the Munitions Storage Area, which is now the prison. While TDY at Nellis, I did a fly and ride and took a visit to Victorville in 2003. Relived some memories while I cruised through George!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was also stationed at George from 1968-1970. I flew in the back seat of F4s as a Tow Reel operator. Great memories.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
RaiL_TrasH said:
Wow, this is my first time doing this sort of thing. I've been reading all sorts of posts, and this seems like a cool forum.

My name is Don I haven't had a scooter in years. My dad past away due to cancer in October, and my best memories were riding with him. He had built a chopper in the late 70's and in '81 I got to ride it next to him, at the age of 16 to Sturgis. Him on his FLHE Heritage, and me on the chop. An experience of a life time. In '83 he bought me a FXR for graduation, cause he was worried I'd kill myself on the chopper. In between then and now life happened, I was in the military for 10 years, and now work for one of the big railroads as a locomotive engineer, aka hog head.

Anyway, I just ordered an '06 Softail Springer Classic, and it won't be here until sometime in April. Needless to say I'm a bit restless, having a hard time getting to sleep, buying scooter mags, and surfing web looking at parts and other scooters. My girlfriend says I'm acting like an expecting father. The waiting part sucks. I wanted to buy this bike last year when it came out, for my 40th, but dad was getting worse all the time so I held off. I sure miss my pop's, I think once I get back into the wind, he will be with me in spirit. Take care all, see ya on the road soon.

Later all,

Don
Hi Don,

Welcome aboard.

The story of you and your dad is terrific. What a great memory that must be.

Regarding your bike, there are many dealers with bikes on the showroom floor and selling under msrp. You should shop around, I'll bet you can find what you want and be riding tomorrow. Check out the dealer in Salt Lake City. Someone said they got $3500 off msrp. And the 600 mile ride home would be a good break in.

regards,

wyo

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Great intro! Congrats on the new scoot and thanks for your service!! {salute( Post up often and enjoy.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Hey Don... welcome to the forum... great introduction.

Sorry to hear about your Pops.. lost mine six years ago now.

Good luck with the new bike... can't imagine waiting, but it will be here before you know it.

Post up some pics.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Hey Don, sounds like your old man was really cool.
I'll bet ya miss that FXR 'eh.(had one myself for 10 years)
Thanks for your service {salute( and enjoy that new HOG,you've got a great place to ride year round down there if you can take the heat long enough to get somewhere lol.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Don,

We welcome you with open arms. This is a very cool site and people are great. A real great group of cyber friends. 8-Ball is my brother and yes, we lost our Dad in April of 2000 due to congestive heart failure. He was a your tipical Italian man. Every moment in life came with a lesson and a saying to go with it. Our mother followed 3 years later when Cancer to her life. She can never be replaced. So my heart reaches out to yours, the voids will never be filled. I miss my parents so much I cry often but I know they are with me. Riding is great, it's so beautiful on the road with the wind in your hair and you end up sending thoughts of love to the ones that have gone on before you because the beauty of it all you cannot keep to yourself. Thanks for finding us.

Studded Lace

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
Why I Ride

Quote: I think once I get back into the wind, he will be with me in spirit. Take care all, see ya on the road soon.

This Is Why I Ride!!! Awesome Story Don and welcome to the forum. I do my best thinking on my bike. I live North of you and as you know there are some Great highways just waiting for Spring. Zen

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
:welcome: I used to be stationed at Fort Irwin in a previous lifetime so I know the Victorville area well -- congrats on living in a great riding location especially the back roads between Big Bear and the LA basin.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hi neighbor. Nice post. PM me when you get the bike, lets go for a ride.

greg

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you

Thank you all for the warm welcome. You folks rock! Like i said, I'm new to posting, so please bear with me. I kinda get stuck reading all the other posts. Seems you have a great thing going here, I'll be joining premium membership soon. Thank you again. Take care all.

Laterz,

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Don, I loved your post. Lost my grandmother a few years ago she was my hero. They owned a place nearby where you live, Lake Elizabeth Ranch Club. Have great memories or that area, especially Lancaster, when we used to ride on the back of bikes without helmets. (What were we thinking). Anyways I just joined this site to, have fun with your bike. I live in Northern California can hardly wait for the good weather to come so I can ride.

·
2008 Ultra
318 Posts
Hi Don, great introduction.

I also lost my Pop back in 87 and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him. You were lucky to ride with your Pop and I'm sure your first ride on the new bike will bring back a lot of memories.

Enjoy the forum and post often ... lots of informatione here and great people.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the new bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about your Dad. I had same deal with both my parents (STINKS) Stinks, exponentially.

This place is great to shoot the ship and forget all the stress.

Dig in post up and get some laughs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts