V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I'm new to this forum, and thought I'd introduce myself to everyone! I recently turned 38, "NO this girl ain't afraid to tell her age" and recently moved from Maryland to the Shenandoah Valley! No more Flatlands or chicken houses for me! The mountains are great! Any way, since I was a little girl checking out my brothers dirt bike mags, I've wanted to ride, I did the mini-bike thing some, but not much else untill, 1992, When much to the DISMAY of my husband, I bought a Suzuki Dr250, I really got the feel of riding on that bike, I had just got my Liscense, on the bike and with 650 miles went, on my first Dual sport ride , The Black Water 200, in Davis West Virginia,That first dual sport ride was great and I was hooked on motorcycles! I tried to ride as much as possible, but there wasn't alot of people in my area with Dual sport bikes, and that kind of riding is un-safe to do alone, "might find ya months or years, picked to the bone when ya ride alone! in the woods, so after much arguing again with the hubby, about the bike , "Actually I think He had heard too much joking, from his friends about his wife riding, with the guys! " And we also had a baby on the way, So I sold my bike in 1994, And like alot of you, the kids and working , and building a house soon consumed my thoughts and my riding days faded into the sunset! It wasn't untill I watched my Dad, draw his last breath from having cancer 2 years ago , of how Quickly, I realized, life can be over with, Talk about a wake up call! I started really re- thinking my life, And what I wanted out of it, And it wasn't long before the "MOTORCYCLE" issue came up! I can say I didn't get a whole lot of support, from my family or the hubby, but my talks and dreams continued to grow, and I started looking at which Harley I wanted, "The hubby really freaked when I said I wanted a Harley" Well after a year ,of checking out the different models, and doing some rides on my brothers Road King, and making lots of trips to the Harley shop I had made my mind up, and in Dec 0f 2001 I ordered a 2002 Heritage Softail Classic, with Delivery set in March of 2002, " I really wanted the 100 year ann. but after calling about 20 dealers and being told ,I couldn't get one, I settled on being thrilled with 2002! And as you may have guessed, the hubby wasn't TOOO PLEASEDjavascript:smilie(':(')
frown, "Gosh and I thought you guys liked it when the Ole lady wanted her own ride!" oh well, that was a long 3 months, and when my bike finally arrived, I had heard so much hell about it from" your gonna kill your self", to "your a mother, you need to wait untill the kids are older", also your Out of control, just you name it I heard it! That I turned my bike down, I was hating life and I guess you could say him too! Well 12 years of marriage sometimes changes your out look on life and each other and over the summer, I packed up the kids and my dreams and left, and moved to the Mountains in Virginia, To what I call Harley Heaven as the scenery here is great, along with the people, and there are a ton of bikers too! Well long story short, I was 3 days away, from buying a used 2000 Heritage 2.5 weeks ago, when I decided to trek on down to the local Harley shop, and asked the sales rep, if he had any Heritages, and much to my surprise he did!!! Turns out a guy had one on order, for dec, but Harley moved the delivery up to Nov, and the guy wanted fuel injection ,and couldn't get it, so the sales Rep, had this 100 year Anniversary, available, in vivd black, And guess what it had my name allllll over it, On the spot I commited and brought back my money and 30 days from tommorow, Nov8 my bike is being shipped! Needless to say I was , and am happy as a pig in ****! Now if I can only figure out how I'm going to break the news to my ex! " Do you think if I said I won it??"That would fly!??? He told me I'm totally out of control when I showed up to drop the kids off for the weekend ,on my way to Ocean City for Bike week and he saw the new TATTOO, I had on my legg! Nobody in the family is very supportive of my bike, and I can say my confidence level is low, but I think of this bike every day,as I've wanted it for so long! And can't wait to Ride! Well sorry for being so long winded , but thats my story! Happy riding to all, and you'll be hearing from me alot, as my support is next to nothing, and I'll be trying to find out all I can ! Love reading the stuff everyone else is writing! Diane

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Well done!

What do you mean your confidence is low? You went and did it and in the end no one could stop you.

That's great! That's brilliant!

Come November and you'll be grinning from wear to ear and you'll know you did the right thing by yourself - and for those that love you. You can't let their fears turn you into someone else (and you haven't).

You've given them the opportunity to love you for who you are. That's a hell of a gift.

Walk proud.

Good to meet you.

Mike

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome Dee,

You are correct go for your dreams, life is short. I never understand why you always have to explain it, they will never understand until they are too old and look back on their lives and just wished they had done more. Go girl, enjoy and you are right about the Shenandoah Valley, being great riding area. We had a ride this weekend from Fairfax H-D to Orange VA (Waugh H-D) for a cook out. They feed us for free and then I took their money (won the 50/50 raffle) it was a great ride. It would have been great even if I had taken their money.

But I try to get out in the Valley ever chance I get. Our HOG chapter is having a fall foliage ride on the 26th so that means we’ll be out there again. And all our new member’s rides end up in Front Royal. So we know what you mean, if you get a chance please join us for the fall foliage ride it’s an open to everyone event.

Again welcome to the board look forward to seeing your posts and yes well will be your support group because we all know what you mean about the love for riding.

Dave

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Dee,
Who could ever criticize someone for following their dreams? I can empathize with you though because I got the same lack of support when I picked up my FLSTCI this year. Sounds like you had the guts to make some changes in your life though to put you on the road to greater happiness. I heard a good line recently that went something like, "Some people confuse breathing with living". Sounds to me that your critics are confused. Life is short. Be true to yourself and in the future you will look back without regret. My advice it to take the MSF course to help limit your risks then go out and enjoy that new bike. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Welcome aboard to another lady rider! It's good to see! The kid thing crosses my mind too but the life is too short thing wins out! Enjoy yourself here and post often! Be sure to scroll down and check out the Ladies Lair.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Welcome aboard! I have no doubt that you're a special lady. As others have said, "You go girl!!" You and the kids will be OK, based on the ladies I've met that ride and have kids, you guys have a knack for loving both VERY well. Look into the MSF course and keep your knees in the breeze........

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome aboard Diane, and congrats on the bike, I wish I could speed up time for you, the next month is going to drag.
BTW your bike will be there for you a lot more then your OM. :)

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Congradulations, I would say I hope your wait goes quickly but life already passes to fast. Enjoy life, your bike, and the beautiful place you live in. If you get a chance take a safety course even though you have ridden before, just might learn something new. Welcome to the forum.

·
Riding yr rnd in sunny FL
309 Posts
You are in Harley Heaven for sure. I used to live in Lexington, Va and we went riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway and many other scenic roads all the time.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Go Girl!

I think you did the right thing. You only live once. My OL was not happy when I ordered my bike. She has been stalling me on getting one for years. This time there was no discussion. I ordered it, then I told her I bought it. Do take the MSF course.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Congrats and welcome to our world. Take the MSF course, easy that bad baby through the first half K and then run the piss out of her. Enjoy the sound of the engine, the sweet smelling air, and if anyone has a problem with that tell em to go f*** themselves you harleygirl you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts