V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

My name is Rick, and I'm writing this from the home of Willie G. Great forum here. Been lurking for a while, and now that I finally have my bike home, I've registered as a user.

It's been close to 20 years since I last rode. Not because I didn't want to, but because there were other life events that made not having a bike more practical. My bike hiatus is over, and the story is pretty cool...

Last week I hit the half-century mark. Since my birthday landed on a Wednesday, my lovely bride had planned a small get together for last Friday evening (November 2). Unfortunately, I had a last minute business commitment come up, and I had a traveling commitment. So, she went and got everyone to stop up to our favorite pub last Friday night to celebrate in advance.

Just a few close friends and family - about 20 people total. I didn't want anything big, to me it's just a number (except this number qualifies me for discounts at McDonalds now...). Everything was very casual, just a few beers, some pizza, and some cake. But the whole tone of the party quickly changed when my best friend asked me to lend him a hand...

He was going to take his girls to a sleepover after our get together, and he said he needed to clear room out of the back seat of his car so he could get all the kids in there. So, he asked if I could take a couple of boxes and his bowling balls back home for him - it would save him a trip back and forth. Of course, I said yes, and followed him outside.

I walk around the side of his car, and look into the back seat. There's nothing in there except for a couple of coloring books and a booster seat. By this time, I've had a couple of beers, so I just look at him with a bit of a fuzzy look and before I can ask what is going on, he tells me to turn around.

I turn to my left, and my Lynnie is standing there with a huge smile on her face. She's just smiling, saying nothing. I can tell she's just about to cry, and whenever she cries I get choked up too. I'm just standing there confused for what seems like an hour, when she points behind her and says to me "Happy Birthday". Almost immediately after that, the entire group screams "SURPRISE" and I almost have a heart attack. I hadn't noticed that they had all followed me outside (very sneaky bunch).

I'm still a little confused, because I didn't immediately realize what she was pointing at (I didn't have my glasses on). She then leaned over to me and said "this is yours" and walked me over to my present.

http://tinyurl.com/2sofab At the bottom of the page click on the 3rd picture from the left.

Needless to say, I was speechless. Stunned, reduced to tears and left there to wonder what I've done to deserve this woman.

She has known for quite some time that I've wanted to get back in the saddle again, but I've not pushed the issue because she didn't like the idea of me riding again. But as she was hugging me, all she said was "You've waited a long time for this. I didn't want you to wait any longer."

I cried like a baby.

We went to the dealership last Saturday and picked out the color (Crimson Red Sunglo), and my new arn was ready for pickup on my birthday. Even tho the weather was in the low 50s with some decent wind, I was able to squeeze in a couple of rides before I had to fly out on Friday. Here's a pic:

http://picasaweb.google.com/restorick2378/HarleyPics/photo#5126211566368523826

You know, sainthood status for my lovely bride just doesn't cut it for me anymore. Oh, she'll still be St. Lynnie when she looks the other way when I buy another woodworking or metalworking machine, but she always has been, and always will be my angel.

Great to be here...

Rick in Milwaukee​

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
You got beer, pizza, cake and a McDonalds discount for your b-day?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Nice friggin stury dude! Congrats. Your smile says it all in your pic. Answer me this.........Has your smile went away? Or is it permanent?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Good for you Rick,
Good Clean Livin Always Pays Off !!!
Glad you're here:thumbsup:

·
2008 Ultra
318 Posts
Captain Bligh said:
What a story! Welcome back to the saddle and welcome to VTF!

And, let me be first to ask the question. Remember I asked first! Does she have a sister?

:welcome:
Dang ... beat me to it.

Great story and welcome to the forum.

·
"3 feet high'n rising..."
737 Posts
Wicked awesome!
:cheers:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome from another chesehead. Great story. You're lucky to have such a great wife!!!
Ride safe and GO PACK GO!!!:beer:
Hey Britt,

Thanks for the shout out, and yes, I'm very lucky! I see you're right down the road from me - I'm in New Berlin, not too far from 43.

If you ever get to Matty's in New Berlin, look me up.

Rick

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts