V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Expensive birthday card? You bet.

My son in law works at the local Harley shop. They had a big gathering for Joe Cain Day during Mardi Gras. My daughter was helping load bikes and apparel on their trailer when I chased her down to give her a birthday card. One of the bikes was a Street Bob demo and it reminded me so much of some of the stuff we used to do back in late sixties and early seventies. Couldn't get it out of my mind.

Few days later I drifted by the Harley shop and asked if that demo was for sale. Found out it wasn't for sale,but they had one coming in,already had the invoice,make a long story short I bought it and it turned out it was already there still in the box in the back.Helped to unbox it and was the first one to sit on it while my son in law attached the handlebars. Told my son in law I knew he'd been screwing my daughter for years,but did he have to get me too,who ever heard of paying extra for gray primer.

Had the SE intake,stage one download and SEII pipes and forward controls installed before I picked it up. Thing is scary fast,at least to me.

First bike was an old rigid frame Panhead with a suicide clutch. Next bike was still a jockey shift but kept the Harley rock an roll clutch instead of the suicide. That one was 14 over wide glide with one inch rake and every inch molded,chromed or polished, took me two years and about two thousand dollars to finish. Paint was by Schulte Sullivan out of Memphis. He could do anything with an airbrush. Earned my paintjob by doing prep work and moldin on several bikes for him. Thought I made a forture when I sold it for 3500 when the kids started coming along. Rode dirt bikes for a few years after that. Haven't ridden much since the late seventies,never did get those old Harley out of my blood. Sure feels good to be back.

Good Luck

Tom

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the fourm! Congrats on the Street Bob!! Sounds like you have had some fun 'ol bikes back when. Post up often and enjoy.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Welcome! Every year I take a ride to the Gulf Coast and meet my family for a week or so at Orange Beach, this year mid-July. I take all back highways and it's a great ride that I really look forward to. Ever been to the Flora-Bama bar? I hope they get it rebuilt soon. Have a :cheers: on me!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flora-Bama,oh yeah,remember going there a bunch of times,just don't remember leaving.Think it's partially open again.

My son lives in Gulf Shores.Beautiful place.

Good Luck

Tom

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
Sweet bike, Tom. Welcome to the forum.

Are you related to the infamous Bob May?

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Howdy!

:welcome: to our VTF ?prty:

Great story and it sounds like you've got lots of experience to share, there are lots of great people and info here, post early and often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts