V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:

I have been riding motorcycles since 1970. I started with a Honda 160 basket case that I purchased for $35. Then a series of bigger Hondas: CB350, CB750, GL100 (naked Goldwing) and a six cylinder CBX.

My next bike was a 1997 H-D Heritage Softail Classic. I owned it a few weeks when I went on a charity ride. Before the start of the ride, I was parked next to a highly customized 1996 Heritage. The owner of that bike looked over at my bike and said "Congratulations on your starter kit". At first I did not understand what he was trying to say as I had just paid $18,500 for my new bike. He then proceeded to explain what he meant - "you will start to do stuff to your bike and will be almost impossible to stop".

Well, after 3 years and an additional $9,000 - $10,000 I understood.

In September 2002, I sold the Heritage and tried to buy a 100th anniversary Road King Classic. I already had a room reserved and paid for in Milwaukee for the 100th party, but could not get a new bike in time for the trip (9 months later) unless I was willing to pay the "STEALERS" anywhere between $2500 - $4000 over list price. I was thoroughly disgusted and went over to the dark side. I bought a 2003 BMW sport touring bike and sold my room in Milwaukee to a friend. At that time we lived in northern NJ and the BMW worked out great for the riding I was doing at the time. I averaged 5000 miles per year the first 2 years I had the BMW.

About 2 1/2 years ago we moved to south Florida. Between the heat & humidity in the Florida and the lack of interesting roads to ride, I only rode a total of 1500 miles in the last three years. The BMW had way too much bodywork and I often felt it was too hot to ride. The BMW was mostly sitting in the garage and depreciating. I really missed riding and was not ready to give up motorcycling.

I had been looking at all sorts of alternatives to the BMW - everything from Victorys to Hondas to Yamahas to Triumphs etc. What I really wanted was the Road King Classic that I did not get to buy back in 2003.

I stopped by a Harley dealer a few weeks ago and fell in love with a slightly used (only 2400 mile) RKC that had 19 months of warranty left. The bike is one of the 2007 custom colors - Jake blue sunglo and Elwood blue Sunglo. My wife liked it as well (that always helps).

The dealer took my BMW as a trade toward the RKC. I have ridden the new (to me) RKC more in the past two weeks than I rode the BMW in the past year.​

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to the South, where it's always too hot =devil= At least here in Louisiana :laugh:

·
Opinions Vary
161 Posts
Come on now - too hot is a relative thing.
I had long sleeves and leather on last night riding in the rain for a few hours and it was fargon beee-utiful! No lovebugs, sandstorms, downpours, etc etc.

Welcome MC, from SRQ.
enjoy your new ride!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts