V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... been reading these forums on and off and thought I would join up and say hi. As of now I have no bike but am working on it.. Say some prayers for me lol. Anyway I am 26 and love everything about harley.. But have yet to own one so for now I read up and post..

If you guys dont mind I would like to see what yah guys think. I got turned down by harley financing.. But should be good to go in a year or so. Just wondering if people have better luck with loans by going threw harley or going outside to get a loan.. Also any suggrestions welcome as to who to talk to..

Oh and by the way name is Kyle and nice to meet all of you.:banmep: j/k please dont..

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
:welcome: Yomomma22. This place is a great tool and an allround cool place to chill. I've been on and off all day.lol.
If you will be good to go in another year maybe just sit tight for while and come on VTF and research the model you would like to buy and any mods you wanna make and plan ahead and no doubt save some cash.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. You could try your own bank and see if you could get a loan through them. Best of luck to ya. Post up often and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Welcome to the group. As for your question, kind of hard to reply to a question of ones finances, but I would think your bank or credit union would have better rates than HD. Since you will be paying HD alot of money for the bike, why give them added finance charges...unless you ask them to throw in a few freebies.
Anyways, save up, best of luck and ask questions if ya have them !!

·
Ride It, whatever it is!
244 Posts
Welcome Yomamma, nice screen name. Enjoy the forum, save up and check your credit score and find out what you need to do to improve it and getting approved by anyone shouldn't be a problem. Ditto on giving HD more money in finance charges. HD's rates are not good, look elsewhere. Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome and i know without more info my question is impossible to answer with any real answer... I just want a bike so bad. Yesterday here it was 73 out and i was driving down the highway and found myself imagining i was on my bike :).. I know I am lame.. but next summer will be a for sure thing..

Just found out about a promotion at work that I GOT WOOT!!!! Next summer baby I will be on 2 wheels finally!! If all goes well that is.:wootdnc: :bleh:

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Welcome from about 120 miles east of you. Yep, check out why you were turned down for financing -- and definitely check with your "local" bank.

G

·
Kyle,

In addition to what others have said, another thought comes to mind. Since you just got that promotion, and you've apparently been surviving on your current income; save 100% of the increase. If you do this from the get go, you won't miss it, and then when it comes time to make the purchase, you will have a sizable down payment. Putting money down, or more money down, has a tremendous impact on a lender's willingness to finance you, and of course will also lower your monthly payments.

Welcome to the board.

Harris

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yomamma...also look for a pretty good used bike, that right there will save you some and all HD stealers have them on the floor. Most have already had a few things added to them, some you might like, some might not, but you will save some dough and then not have to pay for the customizing as much, which if you do not know, will consume you until you are broke again..Just some food for thought !! Good luck !!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Welcome!

So... just to get something straight... you have NEVER owned a bike? or never owned a HD?

If you have NEVER owned a bike, I would suggest getting something cheap that you can learn to ride and wrench on for a while before putting down the big cash for a HD that costs a lot to fix!

If you have plenty of riding experience, then... don't mind me. I'm just looking after our fellow bikers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Nope never owned a bike befor.. But have rode dirt bike and four wheelers so I know about the shifting and all that good stuff.. But have no exp. on the road. Also as far as not getting a harley for my 1st bike... I just cant bring myself to buy anything but. So if i drop it or smething happens i guess I will take it in stride. But have had the same thoughts over and over about buying new as my 1st bike.. But you only live once right?

Again thanks for the advice.. As of right now I have been talking to the local dealer about the streetbob. From what I have heard I shouldnt have any trouble after i get a few things in order so I should be ok now.. May talk to my bank anyway though and see what they say.

Again ty for the advice and not just telling me to come back when i had a bike :D

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Here's some good stuff you might be interested in looking into:

Ride Like a Pro

Twist of the Wrist 2

There are lot of other books and videos out there, but for me, Twist of the Wrist 2 was the most helpful. The book is geared more toward sportbikes, but all two-wheeled practical theory is the same. I must of read that book a dozen times cover to cover, and I still pick it up to read various sections.

Good luck on that new Street Bob. It's a good looking scoot!

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
:welcome: to the forums.

The recommendation I have for you is the 100% down 0% interest. Those are great and the payment plan on that kind of loan is amazing.

Just save up and buy a used scoot if you have to and fix it up to make it your own.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Credit Union is the way to go !!!
forget about a "bank" and / or the stealers
I don't know what they are now,
but back a year ago a bike or cage loan (both new or used)
was anywhere from 3.75 to 4.5 to 5 percent.....
I'm sure it has gone up, but you can find
credit unions that will let you open up an account if you
live or work in a certain town, work at a certain profession.
(sorry, didn't notice where you were from, before I wrote this)

And definitely take an MSF course, I started riding in '72 and the
course was cool (plus you get a discount on your insurance,
in most states).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I may check into a credit union when it comes time to buy.. As for right now I just started a new job so I need to get sometime in to make sure it will last.. Then if all works out as planned next spring maybe I will be riding alongside some V-twin members :wootdnc:

·
Dog on a Hog
195 Posts
:welcome: the the forum. There's a lot of used HD's out there - mid-life crisis bikes that the owners realize they don't really want... otherwise, check out the banks or save your pennies!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Welcome from another Missourian. Why not a used Sporty? You can pick a mid 90's 883 for about 4 grand (+/_). It won't be that new big twin you are wanting but you are on a HD and you are riding. I'm going to echo what others have already said, get a beater and learn to ride on the street and then get your dream bike. I don't want to sound like I'm preaching but street riding is a "LOT" different than riding a dirt bike or 4 wheeler. I'm not discounting your riding ability just saying that people are trying to kill you out here. Anyway, good luck on the bike and again, welcome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts