V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading this forum for several months and decided to post something finally. Been riding since 1980 and have had several bikes. Just got an 06 soft tail D-lux this summer and gave the old sporty to my daughter. We have been busy riding as much as possible all summer. Starting to get cold (High 30s) and will have to park the bike for the winter all to soon. The kid is bummed out with the approaching cold weather. She is in love with the sportster. Might have to move back to the lower 48 sometime in the next couple of years. Later

Chance

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
What part of Alaska are you from? I got my first Bike up there when I was 16. My brother and his wife live in Anchorage, and I went to High School up there ( Dimond/Service).

While the season is short for bikes, at least the days are long and you can't beat the scenery /fishing.

There is always the snomobile for the winter.....

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
nidan said:
There is always the snomobile for the winter.....

When I lived in Anchorage, I was correct that it is a "snow machine" :whatever: .

I bought an 2003 Electra Glide, my first year there, and love riding in Alaska. In '04, I did a trip through the Yukon, via Chicken, to Dawson City when they had rallies in July. Also rode with the local "Last Frontier" group, outstanding folks! I sure miss my rides down to Soldotna as well as the annual MDA rides!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alaska

I live outa town just North of Wasilla. I traded the sleds for the D-lux back in July. Going to be a long winter, but it was a great Summer. Snow is on the hills around Anchorage so it is getting close. Had a couple of real good frosts already so I have to wait till daylight to make sure there is no ice before I ride.

Chance

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
My brother said the "termination dust " was up on Flat Top and headed toward town . DLL ... terms change ..When I first started riding them they were all "Ski Doo's " as very few folks had Polaris or Arctic Cat etc .. but that was back in the late 60's, then we got more generic with snowmobile, and when I visited my bro a few times over the last decade , as you say .. it's now snowmachine.. I fondly remember racing a TNT 775 on Big Lake back in 1971.. loud , obnoxious with 3 expansion chambers , and fast .. for those days.

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
welcome to Vtwin,
grew up in Anchorage, East High class of 65.
Used to hunt our moose just out of Wasilla, probably somebodies back yard now, place has grown a bit.
Spent a lot of time riding MC up there, but have never tried skidoos, got too many addictions as it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
move to Kodiak

Just got a job offer for the family up in Kodiak, tough decision to leave the North West. Love to ride, way to much, to part with that is :wacko: . Encouraging to here you guy's talking about riding, gives me hope!

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
life on the rock

microdoc said:
Just got a job offer for the family up in Kodiak, tough decision to leave the North West. Love to ride, way to much, to part with that is :wacko: . Encouraging to here you guy's talking about riding, gives me hope!

microdoc I've been here on Kodiak for 35 plus years. Great place to be some times and a wretched place some times. THere is 50 miles of paved road to ride. Nice twisties on a lot of it; but on 50 miles of it.

Kodiak is an expensive place to live. So make sure if you have a job offer that you understand how high things are here. A lot of folks get sold a bill of goods regarding the wages but they do not realize the cost of being here. Right now 87 octane is $ 3.49 a gallon.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
toybox99615 said:
microdoc I've been here on Kodiak for 35 plus years. Great place to be some times and a wretched place some times. THere is 50 miles of paved road to ride. Nice twisties on a lot of it; but on 50 miles of it.

Kodiak is an expensive place to live. So make sure if you have a job offer that you understand how high things are here. A lot of folks get sold a bill of goods regarding the wages but they do not realize the cost of being here. Right now 87 octane is $ 3.49 a gallon.
It is that bad around here sometimes, tell them what a 1/2 milk,1 dozen eggs, head of lettuce and a pound of tomatos cost, that will surprise them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How expensive is it?

I can't say about Kodiak but Wasilla is kind of pricy. A loaf of bread is around $2 for the cheap stuff. Eggs are around $3 a dozen, milk around $4.50 a gallon and soda is $5.49 a 12 pack. Fruit and veggies ar expensive and don't last long before starting to spoil. It isn't all bad though. The summers are awsome with almost round the clock day light. Also there is a shortage of certain trades in the construction industry. I deal with mostly commercial construction and everyone gets Davis Bacon wages. That means the lowest paid person on the job site is getting around $36.00 an hour. Also we have some of the best beer in the world. Yes I have been around this rock a few times and had a beer in more countries than most people have been in states. There are several micro breweries pumping out the good stuff like Great Bears, Moose's Tooth, Humpies, Mid Night Sun and the Glacier Brew House. That is just a few of my favorites. Yes it is expensive but it is a great place to visit or live.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
chanceinak said:
Yes I have been around this rock a few times and had a beer in more countries than most people have been in states. There are several micro breweries pumping out the good stuff like Great Bears, Moose's Tooth, Humpies, Mid Night Sun and the Glacier Brew House. That is just a few of my favorites. Yes it is expensive but it is a great place to visit or live.
Oh WOW...........I can taste that Rasberry Wheat beer now from the Moose's Tooth and Humpies!!!!! I want one soooooooo bad!!!!:cheers:

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
Also we have some of the best beer in the world. Yes I have been around this rock a few times and had a beer in more countries than most people have been in states. There are several micro breweries pumping out the good stuff like Great Bears, Moose's Tooth, Humpies, Mid Night Sun and the Glacier Brew House. That is just a few of my favorites. Yes it is expensive but it is a great place to visit or live.[/QUOTE]

do you know if the Birdhouse Brewery is still brewing? They were at Bird Creek in what was Jolly Vi's.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Welcome to the forum chanceinak. Glad you finally decided to take the plunge and post. Seems to be a good deal of interest in AK for sure.

I've got a question I'm hoping you can help me with. On my "list of things I want to do before I take that big bike ride in the sky" is to ride all 50 states...so, I'd like to spend 2-3 days riding AK - don't have much more time than that - what are your recommendations on where and when should I ride? I'm assuming I'll fly up from the Northwest to make this happen.

Thanks for your feedback. If you're ever in Jack Daniel's country, I'll gladly show you around.​

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Riding Alaska

Davidtn,
There is a place that rents bikes in Anchorage by the House of Harley. A great time to ride is in June, July and August. There is so much daylight you wouldn't believe it. Depending on how much you want to ride Fairbanks is around 350 miles away and there is some extremely beautiful country in between. A good day ride would be South toward Homer again a lot of beautiful country. Different things you would see are thick forrests,(nephew visited and couldn't believe how dense the woods are) mountains that are very rugged and beautiful, Rivers, lakes and glaciers. All kind of wildlife is in abundance from Moose, bears, mountain goats, eagles and a multitude of others. I am originally from West Tennessee and have been all over that great state. ~!Awesome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dll66

I can drink one for you or I will buy you one if you want to come and get it.

!drunk! :beer4u:

Chance

Ahar,
I don't know if it is still there or not.

Chance

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I love your state. Friends of mine use to own a cabin up on Flat Lake just outside of Wasilla. It was awesome sitting out on the deck in the middle of winter watching the aurora and the snowmachines go by. Been fishing up there many times and they grow them bigger than the lower 48, actually they are almost mutant big! I love the Mat-Su and Talkeetna area and love to visit the Kenai peninsula area, Seward, Homer, etc. Maybe someday if I can talk the wife into it I will become a resident.

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
Ahar,
I don't know if it is still there or not.

Chance[/QUOTE]

soon as I get retired I will be up to find out.
think I have one more ride up the Alcan left in me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts