V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
2008 Ultra
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

My first bike was a 1968 BSA and I’ve ridden Yamaha’s, Honda’s over the years, but I now ride a 1999 FLHTCUI, bought brand new in 99 and the clock reads 110,000 KM (That’s about 66,000 miles).I also own a 1993 FXRS (my bar hopper) which I plan on selling this year. I live on the west coast in Calgary Alberta (about 3 hours north of Montana). Winters can be cold, but this year has been a freak winter. We still don’t have any snow and a lot of my friends are still riding.

In the last 6 years I’ve ridden across the US and Canada a number of times, met a lot of wonderful people and still keep in touch with quite a few of them. The last time I travelled to the US was at the Daytona Biketober Fest in Oct of 2001. I left Calgary Oct 8th and returned Nov 8th (a bit on the chilly side for the last 2 days, but it was well worth it).

There’s been a lot of discussions on this forum about the pros and cons of hauling trailers, and I must admit, I do haul a trailer if my OL travels with me. If I travel on my own, then I just pack a tent and sleeping bag and camp as much as I can.

My OL rides a Sporty … she took a locally run training course and got her license in the fall of 2002. Her first road trip was in the summer of 2003 when we did a cross Canada trip to the East Coast and back (13, 000 KM). We already have our summer weekends planned with bike rallies across Canada.

I really enjoy this forum … read some interesting threads and hope to contribute as much as I can.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Welcome!!

I am from Medicine Hat, not that far away from you.
You are right about the strange winter so far. I have been riding on the warm weekends racking up about 1000kms since I bought my Ultra in December.

This forum is cool. Sit back and enjoy.

Again, welcome!

Brad

·
2008 Ultra
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rentalman

Thanks for the welcome ...

Definitely need to keep in touch … I’m always looking for riding partners and I go though the Crowsnest pass a lot in the summer on my way to the Okanagan area.

Are you planning on doing Thunder in the Valley in July?

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Welcome to VTF

I used to be a Canadian, but.............I'm alright now %[email protected]
grew up around the small town of Rockyford, mother still lives in Strathmore, left 1972 when I was 20 and when cold weather gets mention, people still say "but you are used to it" :huh: I think NOT, ah, where was I, oh yes

:welcome: to the forum, great information here and even greater members, enjoy yourself ?prty:

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. With all that traveling, I'm sure there are some great stories. Post up often and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Almost There..

I have Thunder in the Valley on my list. I have not made any accommodation arrangements yet. HOG rally in Billings might be a go as well. I do have a starting ticket for Three Flags though.

Work takes me to Calgary on a regular basis but usually have to leave the bike at home.

All us Albertans should make up a secret hand shake or something! :wavey:

Brad

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Welcome from Calgary

:welcome: Welcome Almost there! I'm from Calgary as well. I ride an 05 Yellow Pearl Roadglide and a 97 Blue FXDWG.

Although this year has been unusual for lack of snow, I have ridden at least once per month in Calgary for the last 8 years. :chopper:

I am Safety Officer for the Calgary Harley HOG and I also teach at the Calgary Harley Motorcycle School. I encourage you to join us for our next HOG meeting, it's a great bunch. We meet the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7pm (next one is March 01) at Calgary Harley. We have safety presentations, guest speakers, etc at each meeting. We also have several fun nights through the winter (Texas Holdem, pool, shuffleboard, cards, bowling).

I know most of the rides around here, but I'm not familiar with Thunder in the Valley, tell me more?

VTF is a great place with lots of great info, enjoy ?prty:

ps Rentalman, congrats on your 3 flags ticket. I did the ride last year, Tijuana to Calgary and loved it. I posted a write up about it here on the Touring / Roadglide Owners Thread.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
don't wanna break up this alberta love fest...but hello from the big smoke...yah rich bastiges with all that oil out there!...and no GST!

kidding! i have family from cowtown/red deer/edmonchuk....love alberta and sure want to ride it someday...specially down from calgary into montana to the big sky country...:cheers:

anyhow welcome...

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Google says...........

wydeglyde said:
I know most of the rides around here, but I'm not familiar with Thunder in the Valley, tell me more?
...............could be this one?

Thunder In The Valley

PS - son of fatboy, clear out you PM's - you must have more than 5 friends on here :)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
hey snowman ..yah ex canuk...i couldn't rec'v your pm cause i am still blue here...
i got the notification that a message had been sent...that's all..\
thanks for the effort tho...other than posting my address on the net for all those who would send me all kinds of shite not sure what i can do...

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
New kind of PM = Public Message

sonoffatboy said:
hey snowman ..yah ex canuk...i couldn't rec'v your pm cause i am still blue here...
i got the notification that a message had been sent...that's all..\
thanks for the effort tho...other than posting my address on the net for all those who would send me all kinds of shite not sure what i can do...
Here ya go then, thread hijacked, thought you were allowed 5 messages?

SOF,
I was nearly going to put you on the gone missing thread, good to see you again!

when are you going to pay up so you can post them funny pictures like you used too? :brows:

Or would you like me to pass the big white cowboy hat around and collect some of that oil money for ya? %[email protected]

And you can get yourself a real cool A - VEE - TAR as well ;)

Regards, ex-canuck, John

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi all,

Maybe we need a new section for people from Calgary. I have a 2005 Springer classic and we just bought Charlene a 2006 Road King Classic. I came from Calgary 25 years ago but darn I have to live in Summerland between Kelowna and Penticton. Riding sucks here hot, dry, lakes, mountains, not many cars, endless riding but I guess someone has to do it, hee hee.

Kevin

·
2008 Ultra
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
2008 Ultra
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wydeglyde I am Safety Officer for the Calgary Harley HOG and I also teach at the Calgary Harley Motorcycle School. I encourage you to join us for our next HOG meeting said:
Hi Wydeglide

.... you know, every year at the World of Wheels, I stop at your booth and pick up the brochures and sign up sheets. I even paid my dues one year when your local was at Kanes I believe, but I never got the chance to attend the meetings or rides (I was posted in Ottawa that year).

Maybe this year will be different ...

·
2008 Ultra
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cowboy_bc said:
Hi all,

Maybe we need a new section for people from Calgary. I have a 2005 Springer classic and we just bought Charlene a 2006 Road King Classic. I came from Calgary 25 years ago but darn I have to live in Summerland between Kelowna and Penticton. Riding sucks here hot, dry, lakes, mountains, not many cars, endless riding but I guess someone has to do it, hee hee.

Kevin
Hi Kevin

Wow … Summerland, BC …. My second home.

I have a lot of riding buddies in Summerland and spend a lot of time there in the summer. Last summer, I lucked out and managed to land a contract in Calgary working 2 days a week so I commuted Summerland to Calgary every week for 2 months to put in my 2 days (working for a living sucks). I was doing an oil change every two weeks ….

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Almost There said:
Hi Wydeglide

.... you know, every year at the World of Wheels, I stop at your booth and pick up the brochures and sign up sheets. I even paid my dues one year when your local was at Kanes I believe, but I never got the chance to attend the meetings or rides (I was posted in Ottawa that year).

Maybe this year will be different ...
The Calgary Harley HOG Chapter has our booth at the Motorcycle show, and then Kanes HOG chapter has one at the World of Wheels. Works out well this way I think. Double your fun join both! ?prty:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
The_Snowman said:
Here ya go then, thread hijacked, thought you were allowed 5 messages?

SOF,
I was nearly going to put you on the gone missing thread, good to see you again!

when are you going to pay up so you can post them funny pictures like you used too? :brows:

Or would you like me to pass the big white cowboy hat around and collect some of that oil money for ya? %[email protected]

And you can get yourself a real cool A - VEE - TAR as well ;)

Regards, ex-canuck, John
thanks john...well i have been on some other sites (if you recall there was a migration back when it came time to pony up the dough...i went along with the "other crowd" ...funny when the told me i had to pay i bailed but when it it was donation i put up the scratch......i really oughta give it up tho...(hey our cdn dlr is worth almost 90cent us now!!)
as its drag not being able do all the stuff...and send PM's...perhaps i am allowed 5 messages but i cannot access the area to clean out my old crap...so i am locked out...

anyhow thanks for remembering me bro...good to see your still taking no prisioners!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.