V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold my first Harley, a 72 FX in 1980. Been riding dirt bikes ever since which is getting a little tougher at 55, but the kids still can't keep up in the nasty, rocky trails. :harhar:

My 60 y/o neighbor couldn't ride his 02 FXDWG any more because of arthritis and sold me an absolutely mint 6k mile bike for $9000. Killer deal I couldn't pass up. I really had forgotten how much I enjoy the street. Sure is a lot different with cage drivers and cell phones. :eek: I might actually go down and take the basic motorcycle course just to retrain mentally for the street.

I've also found that I'm going to have to get over "tunnel vision" from riding thousands of miles a year on off road bikes. Trees don't chase you down and try to kill you. Oddly enough I feel a little insecure without all the armour that we always wear on the trails. I went down over 75 mph last year on a gravel road and suffered only minor bruises. Sure as heck can't do that without all the crazy gear we wear off road.

Regardless, I'm very happy with the new (to me) bike and I'm sure I'll have many enjoyable hours on it. I'll still ride the dirt bikes. There's something about a 210 lb bike cranking out 60 hp that's a real thrill. ~!Awesome!

Later, Bill.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Welcome

Your name drew me in....My buddy's dad used to sell Montesa's years ago, and he always rode a nice NEW one. While i rode the hand-me-down Yamahas
(that I was both lucky & happy to get) that were a little down on technology even back then. How'd you take that name????
Anyway.............Welcome to the forum!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. :)

I still ride Montesas. I have the last 04 315R 2 stroke trials bike imported in the US from Adrian at Lewissports USA and have an 07 4RT 4 stroke trials bike. I ride trials, hare scrambles and enduros. I don't motocross.

The new dirt bikes are amazing. The technology used in these machines for light weight and strength are light years ahead of street bikes. Quite a bit of the technology is slowly being incorporated into road bikes. Some of these bikes are developing close to 50 horsepower out of a stock 250cc engine.

I still ride the dirt for the exercise. People that don't ride dirt have no concept of how rigorous it is.

This looks like an excellent forum with a tremendous number of extremely helpful and knowledgeable members. I'm a moderator on the largest dirt bike forum on the web and know how difficult it is to have a resource as excellent as this is. I'm impressed with everybody involved with this site.:bowdwn:

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Montesa said:
Thank you. :) I still ride the dirt for the exercise. People that don't ride dirt have no concept of how rigorous it is.
That is oh so true. Used to ride dirt bikes almost every day when I was young (er) & a few years ago I borrowed an older YZ250 & took my son to an MX park. After 2-3 laps on the big MX track...I was junk. Just a hazard on the track. Got a whole new appreciation of MX'ers, and guys like yourself. It was fun, but pretty tough. Enjoy the forum.
Tim

·
Doof Bag
274 Posts
Montesa said:
I still ride Montesas. I have the last 04 315R 2 stroke trials bike imported in the US from Adrian at Lewissports USA and have an 07 4RT 4 stroke trials bike. I ride trials, hare scrambles and enduros. I don't motocross.

I still ride the dirt for the exercise. People that don't ride dirt have no concept of how rigorous it is.
4 or 5 years ago I helped my son in the pits at a hare scramble, he was about 24 at the time. He prepared with lots of hours on the bike, and weight lifting. It was 95 that day and he fainted after the race while standing holding his bike up. It's grueling, my hats off to you.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Montesa said:
Sold my first Harley, a 72 FX in 1980. Been riding dirt bikes ever since which is getting a little tougher at 55, but the kids still can't keep up in the nasty, rocky trails. :harhar:

My 60 y/o neighbor couldn't ride his 02 FXDWG any more because of arthritis and sold me an absolutely mint 6k mile bike for $9000. Killer deal I couldn't pass up. I really had forgotten how much I enjoy the street. Sure is a lot different with cage drivers and cell phones. :eek: I might actually go down and take the basic motorcycle course just to retrain mentally for the street.

I've also found that I'm going to have to get over "tunnel vision" from riding thousands of miles a year on off road bikes. Trees don't chase you down and try to kill you. Oddly enough I feel a little insecure without all the armour that we always wear on the trails. I went down over 75 mph last year on a gravel road and suffered only minor bruises. Sure as heck can't do that without all the crazy gear we wear off road.

Regardless, I'm very happy with the new (to me) bike and I'm sure I'll have many enjoyable hours on it. I'll still ride the dirt bikes. There's something about a 210 lb bike cranking out 60 hp that's a real thrill. ~!Awesome!

Later, Bill.

many happy miles ahead....(good deal on the dyna too)

·
Iron Butt
559 Posts
:welcome: to the VTF.
One of my first bikes was a 250cc Montesa back in 1971. I don't remember the model but it was a good bike. You sure don't see many around, then or now.
Ride safe.
Steve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts