V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on the forum for a while so hello again to everyone.

I just bought a 1981 FLH Heritage in rough shape. I understand that only 734 were made and that it was the 1st production model made after the sale of the Motor Company, (Post AMF). The color was orange and green.

I was hoping someone might know some history from that era. It has the right frame and engine numbers but has Road King wheels and the front signals and exhaust look like they are from another 1981 model also. It does look original though. Is it possible there was some undocumented mix and match going on in 1981?

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
hey Annie welcome back. sorry but i can't help ya with your questions but i would think if you could find a parts manual for that model it should answer all of your questions or you could post it in the pre evo section further down the main page.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1981 model AJ FLH Heritage Shovelhead

Thanks for all of the feedback.

They only made 784 of this model and the one I purchased doesn’t look anything like the documented model. It does however look original and the Road King wheels and other variations appear to be of 1981 vintage. Do you or any other old timers know if they produced other variations that are documented? I was hoping someone could point in the right direction so my restoration will be authentic.

VIN # HD1AJK29BY028341

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All set

I found out the 2nd owner changed the wheels, front fender and turn signals. Other than that it is original.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts

That is sweet. I like the old bikes. I saw a blue Heritage Softail in 1986 in a shop in Santa Barbara. I "needed" that bike. It took 20 years but I finaly got my nostalgia bike, an 06 FLSTNI.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
anniepearl said:
... I just bought a 1981 FLH Heritage in rough shape. I understand that only 734 were made .... Is it possible there was some undocumented mix and match going on in 1981? .....
Likely lots of changes were made to your bike over the years. Folks got a bike and began to change it - just like today.

Your Harley-Davidson dealer can order a new Service Manual and a new Parts Manual for you.

I believe the part numbers are 99482-84 (Service Manual for 1978 1/2 - 1984 FL/FX Models) and part number 99456-84B for the 1941 - 1984 FL Models Parts Catalog.

The 1982 FL/FX Owner's Manual is also available new as pn 99460-82 (I didn't see a 1981 Owner's Manual available new from HD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts