V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Im looking to get my 1st (real) bike in 10 years, and am uber-excited about it. Before I get to any questions, a lil intro first.

Ive always wanted to ride since I was about 16, when i rode a friend's 70cc bike. Of couse, everyone in the family was dead against it, and being the obliging son, I put it aside. So in the interim Ive been busting my but through college and grad school, travelled and worked in many countries and eventually (now) arrived at a job I love (nonprofit, dealing with health / food safety matters in the developing world) and able to live somewhat comfortably at the same time.

Its now time to relive my childhood dreams!! So off i went a-harley huntin'

My question is this. There is some crazy tax structure here in malaysia (where i now live), something like 120% for bikes (yes, its not a typo). So I have an option to either get a 1997 Sportster 883 for about 30k (local currency... no need to convert, its inflated anyway you look at it!), or a brand new 2005 (or if i wait till next year 2006) sportster for about twice the amount.

I guess what i really want to know is how diff are the '97 bikes from the current production? Aside from normal things like mileage, accident free, service history etc, what else should I look for? btw, the 2nd hand bike is through the Harley dealer as well, so Im somewhat assured that I wont get screwed.

EVENTUALLY, my plan is to customize the bike both cosmetically and mechanically to what I want. Knowing that I want to do this, Should I just go with the 97 bike, save a few clams for later (or beer, whichever comes 1st ) or does it make more sense to go with the new sportster for the warranty and new bike smell?

any feedback appreciated. thanks!

regards,
kelvin

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
first off welcome.
how many miles are on the used bike. does it come with documentation of the service of the bike, I document mine in the back of owners manual it has a place for that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brownjams said:
first off welcome.
how many miles are on the used bike. does it come with documentation of the service of the bike, I document mine in the back of owners manual it has a place for that.
thanks for the welcome.

I dont have full details yet, the dealer is telling me that its about 3 weeks away (bringing it from other part of the country). I will ask for service history when i see them next, but generally speaking, are there any MAJOR difference between the '05 sportster and a '97 one?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the fourm! I think you have to make up your mind as to what you want and how much you can afford. Good luck in your decision. Post up often and enjoy.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Hi K K :

I would like to join the ranks of distinguished members and welcome you the the Forum.

I wish you luck on your planned motorcycle purchase. I am unable to advise you on your science project at this time.

Post up and enjoy your time here.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
-kk- said:
thanks for the welcome.

I dont have full details yet, the dealer is telling me that its about 3 weeks away (bringing it from other part of the country). I will ask for service history when i see them next, but generally speaking, are there any MAJOR difference between the '05 sportster and a '97 one?
the 2004 and later sportsters have been rubber mounted engine for less vibration. newer upgrades to the engine for more power.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys, thanks again for the warm welcome. I think I may just hang on and wait for the new sportsters to arrive, sounds like there are quite a few improvements on the newer bikes. I guess the new bike warranty also gives me peace of mind.

cant wait to get out there! thanks again!

kelvin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts