V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-

Helite's Leather Airbag Jacket combines a mechanical airbag apparatus with traditional cafe styling. Tune in to see how it held up over my winter commute!

-MKL

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts
Thanks for sharing your review Moshe. Do you know of any data that suggests that an airbag jacket actually protects you in a crash? I seem to remember a study where scientists found, by reviewing crash data, that many of the injuries suffered by riders in crashes resulted from contact between the pelvis/stomach area and the handlebar/riser assembly in frontal crashes. I can't seem to find it now, but I kind of wondered whether that jacket would mediate injury in that scenario?

The jacket wouldn't be of any use to me since it's primarily a cold weather jacket. Very little riding occurs around here in the winter due to snow and ice, but it was a good evaluation on your part.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Sadly there is very little actual scientific data on motorcycle crashes in the USA. The last real major study was the Hurt Study from 1981, and we might as well be talking about 100 years ago.

I think in this case the primary protection is if you launch off the machine. Quite a few riders have posted videos post-crash and claim the vests/jackets have saved their lives. That said, obviously, it's not the answer for every scenario under the sun.

-MKL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts