V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I am about to (within next two months) purchase my Softail Standard. There is an outside chance I'll get a Deuce but thats still up in the air. Either way, however, I will be outfitting the bike with some extended foot controls to accomodate my long legs. I have also considered adding some heel rests if for no other reason I just like the way they look. But function is also a concern. For those of you who have them, do they really work as far as reducing fatigue and adding comfort on long rides and would you recommend them?

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Had them on my CVO Deuce and they were very comfortable. Gave me more stability when feet on the pegs, kind of like the stability of a floorbard. Just found it a more relaxing position with the heel rests. I would say get them you will like em.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I bought my Softail Standard used and the bike came with heel rests. Honestly, if it weren't for that, I probably would never have put them on, but since I've got them, I would NEVER consider going without. I think they're great! Like Roadglider said, it's almost like having footboards in that you have some room to slide your feet around on long trips. Just make sure they're not angled down too low to the ground as they will scrape in the twisties.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I agree. I love mine. I had a pair on the sporty, and they were the first thing I added after buying the train.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have them and love them. I use Kuryakyn Switchblade pegs with intergrated heel rest. The heel rest flip up out of the way I don't need them.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I recommend the HD set. They are nice and wide and make a HUGE difference in comfort. The best set runs about $175 at the dealer and are well worth the money. I have a Wideglide but same, same as far as reach etc. I've attached a pic that shows the perfect angle (for me). You will find that you will have a tendency to "clock" them too high at first. This pic is just about right for most folks I think. Also, you will need to get you a wider brake pedal. This one is Kuryakyn...about $25. It's called "Longhorn"....just replaces the stock narrow foot pad. Good luck and enjoy the ride. The stirrups and the pad are easy installs.
Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. Looks like you are all happy with your heel rests. I will definitely will be installing them on my bike when the time comes.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Maxum96 said:
I have them and love them. I use Kuryakyn Switchblade pegs with intergrated heel rest. The heel rest flip up out of the way I don't need them.
Hey Max... my sister has those on her Sporty, but they main pedal keeps pivoting. I've retorqued it and used Blue Loctite. It just keeps working loose. Next I'm trying a star lock washer I guess.

Are you having trouble and if so, what have you done to fix it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
81wildcat said:
But function is also a concern. For those of you who have them, do they really work as far as reducing fatigue and adding comfort on long rides and would you recommend them?
Some of the best money I have spent on my Wide Glide (more for function than looks). I got the Kuryakyn ISO™-Stirrups with Male Mounts (8076). It makes the bike ride and feel much more stable. My feet used to vibrate off of the pegs on the hi-way. Very disconcerting! Never happened again. They have an added benefit: I am running the V & H 2 into 1 Propipe which extends pretty low to the ground. I have the heel rests set at an angle where they drag first, thus reminding me not to lean any further or I'll be dragging the pipe. I don't mind dragging the rests as much as I would my muffler. Someone earlier said not to set them too low, but mine are set there on purpose. (I think they look pretty cool set there too!) I'll never have another bike without them.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I just bought a set of the HD heel rests based on the recommendations of the group. They are great at crusing speed. With forward controls my feet were always slipping off the pegs at highway speed. No problem now. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts