V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get either the Gerbing heated pants or heated pant liners. Does anyone have experience with these relating to the bulkiness? I want to make sure to get the most comfortable item.

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
769 Posts
mwike said:
I'm going to get either the Gerbing heated pants or heated pant liners. Does anyone have experience with these relating to the bulkiness? I want to make sure to get the most comfortable item.

thanks,
Mike

I havent used either ,, but from looking at the two concepts i think i would go with the liners...... Two reasons.... first of all, on a tour ,, you wont always need the heated pants ,on every day of the run ,, the liners no doubt pack up smaller ,,, and i think the liners would give you more options ....on what you can wear over them .....I was not aware that gerbing made heated pants ....I need to vist their web sight ,,,,are they a new product? thanks for the info ... rat

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure the pants are new.

I'm not concerned about packing space, I just want the item that's most comfy to wear. I'm guessing the liners feel bulky & wonder if anyone has experience with the pants.
thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I had the liners and now have the pants. The liners are not as warm but then you need to wear something over them that prevents air from passing through. This does not mean jeans. Also, after a ride you get mighty warm if you don't take them off. So if you stop for a while you might need a restroom to change and then change again when you continue on.
The pants can be easily slipped on and off over your jeans. I have used these down to 5 deg and in rain ( not the same time ) with no issues.
Just give a call to Mr.Warmth @ 301-831-0791 and I'm sure he can give you more info.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brwk said:
I had the liners and now have the pants. The liners are not as warm but then you need to wear something over them that prevents air from passing through. This does not mean jeans. Also, after a ride you get mighty warm if you don't take them off. So if you stop for a while you might need a restroom to change and then change again when you continue on.
The pants can be easily slipped on and off over your jeans. I have used these down to 5 deg and in rain ( not the same time ) with no issues.
Just give a call to Mr.Warmth @ 301-831-0791 and I'm sure he can give you more info.

thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Oh...and I forgot to say that with the heated socks and the pants, I can ride with my feet on the highway pegs in 30 deg weather. Haven't tried it at lower temps yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
brwk said:
Oh...and I forgot to say that with the heated socks and the pants, I can ride with my feet on the highway pegs in 30 deg weather. Haven't tried it at lower temps yet.
One more question for you. Are the socks bulky? I've never saw them in person - only pics. I would get the ones w/o wires on the bottom. I already have the gloves & they are supprisingly comfortable.

thanks

·
Registered
769 Posts
brwk said:

Are they water proof and made of gore-tex? I was looking at the liners from a point of view that they would be good under my aerostitch gore-tex riding pants ,, which are and over garment shell .....They sound interesting ... gerbing makes good stuff ,, i am going to make a point of checking them out ,,, the Grand Rapids mi BMW dealer has gerbing ,, i have to go up to west marine to buy some boat stuff ,,,, I will stop in and check out gerbings new product...... rat

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
mwike said:
One more question for you. Are the socks bulky? I've never saw them in person - only pics. I would get the ones w/o wires on the bottom. I already have the gloves & they are supprisingly comfortable.

thanks
I have the socks with the wires all the way around. To me they are not bulky, and I wear a silk sock underneath them, and have Red Wing boots. My feet have never been cold, and I have ridden in about 15 degree weather.

Ride Safe.
Walt

·
But officer........
28 Posts
I have the pants. Didn't want the liners for the reason already stated. I pull them on over jeans and ride. Pull in to destination and unzip the sides and put them in the saddle bag. Come out and easy on and off riding again. The point is: conveince over a liner. I have ridden in 16F and was comfortable. Just get them to fit correctly.

Dino

·
Registered
769 Posts
DinosUltra said:
I have the pants. Didn't want the liners for the reason already stated. I pull them on over jeans and ride. Pull in to destination and unzip the sides and put them in the saddle bag. Come out and easy on and off riding again. The point is: conveince over a liner. I have ridden in 16F and was comfortable. Just get them to fit correctly.

Dino

are they water proof ? if so is it pvc or gore tex ? rat

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
and do they protect your core temp...:whistle: :duh?:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
My local Gerbing dealer recommended the pants rather then the liners. He stated he sells a disproportionate amount of the pants over the liners.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I have the pants, and they keep me very warm even on 20 degree days. The fact that they are windproof has a lot to do with it. I would expect that if you wore the liners and jeans, for example, that they would not be nearly as effective. The downside is that HDs have exposed hot exhausts that melt the pants with just a brief touch, and you may spend some time patching the pants and scrubbing plastic of your pipes. The pants are clearly designed for bikes that don't have such hot exposed parts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bhawk said:
I have the pants, and they keep me very warm even on 20 degree days. The fact that they are windproof has a lot to do with it. I would expect that if you wore the liners and jeans, for example, that they would not be nearly as effective. The downside is that HDs have exposed hot exhausts that melt the pants with just a brief touch, and you may spend some time patching the pants and scrubbing plastic of your pipes. The pants are clearly designed for bikes that don't have such hot exposed parts.
Good point, I've melted a couple of good rain suit pants that way.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I too wear a thin sock and then the heated sock. Not bulky for me either. Also, walking on the wires don't bother me.
And I have never (knock on wood) burnt the pant legs on anything. Not even close.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts