V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Warm hands

I have heated grips on my Road King and I live in Washongton State. I love them. I rode to work this morning outside temp was in the upper 30's. It's the only way to go. Now if I could only keep the back of my hands warm.......:whatever:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Not a pro or con, but another suggestion. You could get heated gloves - those will keep your whole hand warm. Also, you could get wind deflectors for your controls. These are from National Cycle. (On second thought, maybe they wouldn't fit on an Ultra.)

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I am looking at heated gloves this spring. I already got my wiring in the handlebars, so not sure how much room I have left. Also I hate to be a chick, but I just don't like the look of any of them. I got chrome bars and all the buttons chrome.
I think with a full dresser this wouldn't be such an issue.
Gloves are cheaper too. Not so sure about being tied to the bike thing. See how long it is before I rip them off.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I have them on my scooter and love em! Cool mornings and cooler nites they are great. But for those COLD days I use the heated gloves. No comparison.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Can't speak for heated grips but they just don't seem like they'd keep your whole hand warm, just the palms. I use Gerbing heated gloves and absolutely love them on cold mornings. Combined with a lined jacket and chaps, I hardly know it's cold outside.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
I prefer the heated grips because I can ride with my summer gloves and keep my hands warm. I found the thicker heated gloves did not give me the feel and response I wanted, and they often left my hands sweating. I have ridden in the teens with my HotGrips, and they served me well.

I have purchased two sets of the HD heated grips, and both have failed. There is another recent poster who has a set that failed too. I am using HotGrips, hooked up to a variable heat control. I also have a heated vest hooked up to a variable heat control. There are many other brands and types of heated grips available.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Go with the Hot Grips like Panioli said. You will not be sorry. If you can keep your hands and feet warm, your rideing will be much more tolerable. I use them regularly in this nice warm Texas climate. Get the variable control and it will suit you well.

Now go ride in some really cold weather!:chopper:

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
Shutterbug said:
Can't speak for heated grips but they just don't seem like they'd keep your whole hand warm, just the palms. I use Gerbing heated gloves and absolutely love them on cold mornings. Combined with a lined jacket and chaps, I hardly know it's cold outside.

@gree: I run Gerbings gloves, warmnsafe jacket liner with A heattroller, balaclava under a full face helmet, thinsulate lined jeans and chaps for year round riding up here in NH (snow permitting). I'll get the Warmnsafe or Gerbings pants after Xmass if I don't get them from my SO as a present.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Shutterbug said:
Had the grips...got the gloves...I've ridden in +20 F weather with each and hands down (pun intended) the gloves worked far better!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
...I know that internet product "opinions" usually are just a hate-fest,

so I'll just say that my HD heated grips were a rare manufacturer defect and did not work at all.

Heated gloves seems to be cheaper, and require a hell of a lot less work to hook up.

I remember seeing some company that makes a vest that has hook ups on the cuff so you aren't really wired COMPLETELY to the bike, just at one accessory point.

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
czar said:
...I know that internet product "opinions" usually are just a hate-fest,

so I'll just say that my HD heated grips were a rare manufacturer defect and did not work at all.

Heated gloves seems to be cheaper, and require a hell of a lot less work to hook up.

I remember seeing some company that makes a vest that has hook ups on the cuff so you aren't really wired COMPLETELY to the bike, just at one accessory point.

Yeah that's the way Gerbings and WarmnSafe work. The connection is in the cuff for the gloves and I plug into the wire for my battery tender also. The hook up for the liner is in the left pocket.

·
ALK
321 Posts
heated grips--go for it

I've got them on my 2004 Road Glide and was very comfortable and warm riding this past winter....and looking forward to riding this and many more winter seasons.

The heated grips will turn your Ultra into a true 4-season tourer...

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Another one to try is Widder. They have a lot of plug-n-play electric heating gear too. I bought my heated vest from them.

The HotGrips and electric vest are all I really need. Anything that requires more warmth means it's just too darn cold for this thin blooded native born Hawaiian.

Sometimes I admire you Polar Bear types.
The rest of the time I just wonder about you.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Well Gerbing jacket liner and gloves are the stuff. And while hands are important to keep warm the "trunk" of your body MUST be warm to keep your extremities warm.

The gloves are better then most gauntlet gloves for dexterity. The jacket liner is nice as it's collar is heated, so full face with a scarf around the throat to steel the full face, and life is good. Expedition weight long Johns, merlin wool socks, 600 Gram Th insulate boots, jeans and chaps. Have ridden in 10 and 15 degree days and I was warm.

The temp control is a must as you can really shake and bake in the liner. The gloves are kinda strange as they don't really get hot but yet you hands are nice and warm.

Wires I leave connected to the bike and tuck in the fuse compartment in summer. As far as connected, I use Dielectric grease on any electrical connector I encounter on the bike. I have walked of many times still connected to the one lead to the liner and it just pulled out nicely.

Would not know why you would want heated grips when they do nothing for the back of your hands?

Unless you are lucky enough to live where cold is 50 :clap:

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
kingjoe said:
Now if I could only keep the back of my hands warm.......:whatever:
Heated gloves keep the whole hand warm ... rode 30 miles in to work in 29 deg temps twice last week, the Gerbing gloves work great!

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
I have the HD brand heated grips on both of my bikes. They work flawlessly, go install them, you like 'em. I have the Nostalgic on the RK and the Smooth style on the Ultra.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
deucedog said:
I have the HD brand heated grips on both of my bikes. They work flawlessly, go install them, you like 'em. I have the Nostalgic on the RK and the Smooth style on the Ultra.
DeuceDog,

I have heard that from others too. Some folks have had no problems with the HD grips, while I like others have had multiple sets fail on me. You are one lucky dog, uh, that's DeuceDog.

I guess it all depends on how the Motorcycling Gods favor you.
The Gods must not favor me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Isn't it kind of a hassle when you have just the heated gloves? I know that if you have the heated vest or jacket, they just plug into the sleeves. If you only have the gloves, it would seem the wires would get in the way. I can't decide whether to get heated grips or gloves for my FLHT.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts