V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have any experience with the HD heated grips I'd appreciate finding out how well they work and how hard they are to install on a FLHRC. I'd also appreciate hearing about alternatives if you think there are better products out there. I'm used to the BMW heated grips and have always appreciated toasty appendages.

Thanks

Philip

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I posted the same question 2-3 months ago. i think reply was that it didn't get that cold in SoCal. I also have a Beamer. Maybe beamerites are all wussies??(LOL)

I bought some better gloves, though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Cal wussie

Maybe we are. Do you think it may also have something to do with being CPA's? If your also a tax guy then I know the answer. Say hi to Bill Amon.

Philip

·
Registered
180 Posts
"Heated Grips"

I think all bike manufacturers should have heated grips as standard.
This would allow more calender time to ride without the discomfort
of heavy gloves to deal with. I would expect all bike companies to
welcome as much riding as possible year round. I'm sure temperatures
all over the U.S. eventually dip into the range that would welcome a
warm grip to hold on to. At the very least, this should be a company
option made more popular then it is now. If your going to part with
20k+ to own a Harley, you might as well get factory grips to assist
your cold season rides.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I went with heated gloves.........

My .02 worth, my hands don't get cold in the palm, they get cold on the back of my fingers and hand. A grip heater will not help where the wind hits. I bought heated gloves and did a 75 mph ride last weekend here in Nebraska at 25 degrees. Nice! They work very well, and will definitely extend my riding season. Of course, the glove bulk is a PIA, but the real hassle was threading the harness up through the jacket, onto the gloves, into the switch-gear. I looked like a fool trying to keep all the wires where they were supposed to go while trying to saddle up!! There has to be an easier way to do that part of the deal. I really don't want to get the heated jacket, but that would make the hook up a breeze. I feel the investment was well worth it, but I would look into a manufacturer other than Harley as these things were $165!! Gerbing and others have equivalent models for much less. If you can, try the gloves before you do the grips. Only my opinion.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Black Classic, I agree with you. On my BMW, my hands are protected by the fairing. The dealer (who is an iron butt rider) suggested a medium thickness glove vs a thick one. He said (and was correct) that with a thick glove you cannot feel the heat from the grips. With my Road King, and no fairing, I fear this won't work! A thin glove wouln't keep the back of by hands warm, and with a thick glove, the grip heater provide little if any help. This analysis really applies only to bikes that do not have fairing or other wind protecton for the hands.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I'll skip the heated grips. Although I must say they worked great on my GS1150 which no hand protection. I'll go look for some warmer gloves. I could have used them today as I got caught a little farther from home just now than I planned and it's a mght chilly out there. (At least for So. Cal)

Anyone know how I can hook up my BMW heated vest to my Road King? I asked the dealer and he wasn't familiar with heated vests or other apparel.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
pbsaz, interesting that the grips worked on a GS. Maybe my input is wrong. I haven't yet verified this, but i have been told there is a pigtail like accessories hookup under the seat. My vest was not "BMW" so I used a connector to the BMW socket. If i have time tomorrow I will see if my vest will connect to my king. Let me know if you look before I do, thx, greg.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
pbsaz, do a search here for "connectors". Couple of good threads. (I don't know how to link or copy threads to another thread.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gbenner,

Thanks, I'll do that. I looked in the manual last night, but couldn't tell what the connector under the seat is used for. The manual states to check with the dealer.

Philip

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

The connector right in front of the battery (right side) is for 'accessories'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts