V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this wires looped around the switch housing crap is retarded... has anyone notched the grip and swich housing to run the wires through the switch housing and/or the bars?

Even though they tell you several times in the instructions not to do it that way, it seems like it can be done with no problems and little effort.

Look out, I got a Dremel Tool. =devil=

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
OK, this wires looped around the switch housing crap is retarded... has anyone notched the grip and swich housing to run the wires through the switch housing and/or the bars?

Even though they tell you several times in the instructions not to do it that way, it seems like it can be done with no problems and little effort.

Look out, I got a Dremel Tool. =devil=
Yep, I did it last year. Makes for a nice clean install, internally wired with Wild1 bars. I'd recommend against the dremel (the heat makes a messy cut) and go with a square tipped x-acto knife. It will cut clean and square and is more controllable than the dremel in the small space you have. You need to cut a notch the depth of the inner liner in order to route the wire back into the handgrip and straight out along the bar surface. You also need notch the switch housing to let the wire pass on through. If you have internally wired bars, you should be able to pass the handgrip wire into the same hole the other electrics go into. I de-soldered the the fuse and put on a coupld of color matched extension wires, in a shrink tube cover, to extend the wires back to the battery. You'll want to cover the wires to add another layer of protection from chafing inside the bars.

Take your time on the cuts and you won't have any problem cutting aroud the control wire. When done, the only thing to give away the fact that they are heated will be the control knob. Good luck.

Here's some pics:

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Oh, and as easy as it is, I woudn't do it. The failure rate on the HD grips is so high that you'll end up pulling them off. I went through three sets of grips (two I had spent the time to internally wire) before I gave up on them. They either would not heat up all the way, or the thermostat grip completely failed. My local dealer quit carrying them because of the rate of failure returns.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GPO03FatBoy said:
Oh, and as easy as it is, I woudn't do it. The failure rate on the HD grips is so high that you'll end up pulling them off. I went through three sets of grips (two I had spent the time to internally wire) before I gave up on them. They either would not heat up all the way, or the thermostat grip completely failed. My local dealer quit carrying them because of the rate of failure returns.
now that's not encouraging. :(

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
now that's not encouraging. :(
Sorry! My dealer worked above and beyond with me in terms of replacing grips beyond warranty, they just ended up to be unreliable. I just throw a couple of handwarmer bags in my gloves when I'm riding cold. Cheaper, and they work great.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, I know I'm thick-headed, so I'll try them anyway.

thanks for the info... I "roughed out" the grip with the Dremel (yes, I'm thick-headed, but damn good with that thing) and then cleaned it up with an Xacto #1.

now I just need to find some time to put them on the bike... maybe by the time it gets hot out ;)

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
Agreed. I've gone thru four sets total. This year I didn't put any on, and my heated gloves did the trick. I've given up on them myself. Now, why can Gerbing make these too?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that I would run out of those heat bags on the coldest ride of the year... that and the grips are always there with no need to stop to get the hands warm.

I wouldn't have sprung the cash for them normally, but I used my birthday money along with my fat discount to buy them... so essentially, no out of pocket.

I bench tested them and they do work... I'll probably put a connector in under the front of the tank for easy removal when they fail ;)

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
I'm pretty sure the failure is caused from moisture. I had a pair fail, pulled off the left one and about half a cup of water came out. The right one worked when power was applied.

Solve the water in the bar problem, and you will probably solve the hand grips failure problem.

I'm going with Expanda Foam, the soft kind.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
tibs said:
I'm pretty sure the failure is caused from moisture. I had a pair fail, pulled off the left one and about half a cup of water came out. The right one worked when power was applied.

Solve the water in the bar problem, and you will probably solve the hand grips failure problem.

I'm going with Expanda Foam, the soft kind.
Aside from the fact the inside electronics are potted and sealed, mine failed dry. The insided didn't have any condensation and the bike hadn
't been in the rain when any of the sets failed. Moisture still could be a problem, but not in the failures that I had.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I really need my head examined....

so, I had notched out the grip and the switch housing to make the wires go through the switch housing... well, that wasn't good enough. I didn't want another wire tube running down the bars, so I ran the grip wires through the conduit for the switch housing wires... and it didn't end there...

I still have my bar wiring external because of the drag bars (not really going to hide too much of it) and hopes of putting a set of T bars on soon (been saying that for a year). If I ever get around to that, I'll include the grip wiring in there too.

I already had the tank pulled back about 8 inches and had full access to the wiring, so it wa pretty easy. Once the grip wires exited the conduit at the front of the tank, I put a terminal on the orange white and put it into the unused cavity of the headlight connector, which has an orange white on the mating side, only used for a "position" light on the HDI bikes. I put terminals on the red and black wires, popped them into a two position multilock connector and then made a mating connector/harness assembly for that, with heavier wire, to run back to the fuse box. All wires neatly tucked in with factory wires now.

BTW, the instructions say to remove the gas tank... yeah, right. I'm sure as shitte not pulling the whole tank to run a cable a foot and a half... that's what coat hangers are for. Though, I undid evrything from the tank but the crossover line. This allowed me to slide the tank back about 8", allowing full access to all the front wiring connectors and a clear view down the tunnel.

So, back at the fuse block... I already had an unused fuse location that had power from the main breaker that I had installed when I did my horns/relay setup. All I had to do was crimp the fuse terminal on the end of the red wire and insert it into the cavity in the fuse block for that fuse. Ground wire to the ground bolt(s) in front of the battery (which had to be yanked to get at the underside of the fuse block)... wiring done!

Even if the grips die and I toss them, I at least have a fused, 18ga power wire and ground wire up at the front for something. Installing a new set of grips wouldn't be very difficult now as all the figuring out what to put where is done. Damn, I make a project out of everything on my bike/

I've added dual Hella horns with a relay (relay is in the fuse block), a cig lighter outlet, and now the heated grips... looking at the bike, you would never know the wiring on it was modified/added too, even with the seat off. All fuses are in the fuse block, all wires are covered with factory-type covering, and everything is routed with the stock wiring... now that's how it's done :D

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Nice job. Well done. I did essentially the same on mine, except I have internally wired bars. Hopefully you won't end up like me with that spare power circuit ran back up to the front. Good luck with those grips!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Update?

DrHeathenScum said:
I know that I would run out of those heat bags on the coldest ride of the year... that and the grips are always there with no need to stop to get the hands warm.

I wouldn't have sprung the cash for them normally, but I used my birthday money along with my fat discount to buy them... so essentially, no out of pocket.

I bench tested them and they do work... I'll probably put a connector in under the front of the tank for easy removal when they fail ;)
So Dr, did the grips fail on you? I've been debating going with these grips but have heard about the failure rate and have held off..

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
vinyl wire cover/tubing

DrHeathenScum said:
I really need my head examined....

.....all wires are covered with factory-type covering, and everything is routed with the stock wiring... now that's how it's done.... :D
Where oh where did you find the factory style vinyl loom material???

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
grips are still working... I just used them last night coming home.

you can order the conduit from the dealer... it has -69 and -71 part numbers. You'll need a parts guy with at least a room temperature IQ to be able to find where to order it.

FWIW, the 70556-71 is the p/n for 5/16" conduit. It's not quite as soft and flexible as some of the new stuff I have seen come with the accessories, but it works just as well.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
excellant

DrHeathenScum said:
grips are still working... I just used them last night coming home.

you can order the conduit from the dealer... it has -69 and -71 part numbers. You'll need a parts guy with at least a room temperature IQ to be able to find where to order it.

FWIW, the 70556-71 is the p/n for 5/16" conduit. It's not quite as soft and flexible as some of the new stuff I have seen come with the accessories, but it works just as well.
I think I'll try the grips this fall, thanks for the update. My parts guy needed some ether just to find the mulitlock pins and connectors, I'm sure he'll need a some 60hz to find the tubing, but what the hell, it ought to be fun.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
41 Posts
FYI for those of you installing HD heated grips. I installed two sets (his and hers) and after having one set fail after a couple months, found the crimp on the ground lead to be loose. The wire had slipped out of the terminal. The other set was also loosely crimped. This is easily overlooked when installing them because the terminal has insulation covering the crimp. I soldered both sets and they work better than ever now.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish that was the problem... I redid all the connections during my "custom" install. I may try the kit that just comes with the heating elements (non-hd) and see how that goes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts