V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a set of grips from the stealer and evidently they are not up to date with instructions.I am supposed to hook the main power up to the silver side of the circuit breaker ? Well I think they no longer have a breaker and beleive it is replaced with the maxi fuse,just guessing.This is an 05 ultra classic,has anyone had an experience with this and possiblly steer me in the right direction.Also has to hook up to accessory power which isnt a big deal.I just dont want fry anything.Any help is greatly appreciated,dont beat me up too bad its not like I am hooking up an imitation kick starter,still laughing about that ****. Oh and has anyone have these warmers ? I got a decent deal on them 95.00 and they were 249.00 .The ones on the snowmobile work nice thought it might be a better option then the gloves, because I always seem to have the left handed one only. Thanks

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Oh and has anyone have these warmers ? I got a decent deal on them 95.00 and they were 249.00 .The ones on the snowmobile work nice thought it might be a better option then the gloves, because I always seem to have the left handed one only.
Larry, I have HD's heated grips but I can't advise with your installation because I had the dealer install them at the first service. I paid the dealer 2 1/2 hours, $150, to install them on my Dyna. They work great, in fact much above medium setting is too hot even with leather riding gloves. But with the rheostat I can dial them to just right. I am quite satisfied with them. BTW you got a great deal!

Rick

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
I'll scan them and send them to you in a PM or email when I get home.

On an 06 Softail I had to put a fuse in the block, wire it there, and then also connect to the spare red power connector.

There are several pages of instructions.

Basically, one goes to battery (On a 96 this is the circuit breaker), one goes to the accessory power, and one goes to ground.

The hardest part of these is feeding that damn wire through to the other side, if you can master that, you beat it.

Mine died 4 months later, because water got in the handlebar and killed the left grip, which is of course the most expensive one.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

It wasnt bad getting wire through bars,I tied a piece of cotton to a string and blew it through with compressor and used the string to pull it .I am hooking them up acording to the vrod instructions,Thanks again

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
New Heated Grips

In order to have your heated grips working, do you have to have the engine on? Or can you just turn the accesories on? Reason I ask is I don't want to start the engine since I can't ride for the 10 minute time recommended to fully warm up the bike. (bad riding conditions out) But I would like to test my heated grips. I tried them the other day, but didn't feel any warmth. I was thinking I may have to fully crank the bike. Whatdoyasay?

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
I'll have to give that a whirl. How long before I should start feeling heat? Is it like a 5 min. warm up? Or is it instant?

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
5 minutes should be enough to feel something if they are on full. If not, you may have something wired wrong.

Red wire to the accessory power, Yellow to the battery, and black to ground.

If you want to do a quick test, connect both red and yellow to the battery post, if you dont feel something in a few minutes - something else is wrong.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rock,
It takes a few minutes to warm up. You will really like them, by the way your PM box is full.
Bob

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
8 Ball said:
Did you try the switch in the accessory AND the Ignition position (with motor off)...

Some things don't work in the accessory position.
AISTQM said:
Rock,
It takes a few minutes to warm up. You will really like them, by the way your PM box is full.
Bob
You were both right on the head. I turned the bike to ignition. Then I turn the grips wide open. Then walked away for like four minutes. Came back. Toasty! I know that's going to feel great on a cool day out. Can't wait to ride. Whenever this weather chooses to agree with me. :flames:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts