V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the HD Heated Gloves and was wondering if I can skip the wiring harness to the battery that comes with them and get some type of hookup to the battery tender harness hanging under the seat.

Also, any thoughts on if the HD heated gloves are really good, I hope so.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Compare the battery tender harness wiring gauge and fuse size to the heated glove's harness. Use the heavier of the two and make an adapter to plug what ever accessory is different.

Likely the glove's harness is heavier duty. If so, just go to Radio Shack and get a coaxial plug and a two-way flat plug and use them along with a short piece of wire to make you an adapter. I did just that to plug all of my accessories into one harness. While you are at Radio Shack, you might want to pick up the goods to make a cigarette lighter adapter to plug into the harness. I carry one in my saddlebag to power my phone if I need to.

·
TL
500 Posts
Fuse Size

Triple X is correct. The fuse on the clothes harness is bigger than the fuse on the tender. I hung both harnesses off of my battery last year and just left them there. However, next time I take my seat off, I will just leave the clothes harness on there and get the coax to SAE adaptor for the tender. No harm with 2 harnesses on the battery though.

I have the HD gloves (made by Gerbings). They get the job done. You will want the dual thermostat so you can control the temp of the gloves separate from the jacket liner/vest. Hands would get hot on longer rides without the ability to turn it down. Only complaint about the gloves is that they are big and bulky. Have to be coordinated to put one on and then hook up the other one and get it on. Also, my range of motion is slightly diminished. I have to "reach" for the clutch with these on. However, it's likely better than freezing and being all tensed up.

TL

·
Registered
6 Posts
DCRANER said:
Just bought the HD Heated Gloves and was wondering if I can skip the wiring harness to the battery that comes with them and get some type of hookup to the battery tender harness hanging under the seat.

Also, any thoughts on if the HD heated gloves are really good, I hope so.

Thanks.
Just to let you know you can't use the battery tender plug for any of our items. This is something to fool everyone into buying the tender and the gloves which you paid too much for unless you got a special deal.
i've been the # 1 dealer in the country for almost 10 years.

But to answer your question use our battery harness only. Hope this helps everyone.
Mr. Warmth

·
Registered
6 Posts
tlewis said:
Triple X is correct. The fuse on the clothes harness is bigger than the fuse on the tender. I hung both harnesses off of my battery last year and just left them there. However, next time I take my seat off, I will just leave the clothes harness on there and get the coax to SAE adaptor for the tender. No harm with 2 harnesses on the battery though.

I have the HD gloves (made by Gerbings). They get the job done. You will want the dual thermostat so you can control the temp of the gloves separate from the jacket liner/vest. Hands would get hot on longer rides without the ability to turn it down. Only complaint about the gloves is that they are big and bulky. Have to be coordinated to put one on and then hook up the other one and get it on. Also, my range of motion is slightly diminished. I have to "reach" for the clutch with these on. However, it's likely better than freezing and being all tensed up.

TL
if the gloves fit the right way you should not have any problem with them, you should have about 1/8 to 3/16 at the end of the fingers anymore then that then you could have a problem maybe.
I have police officers around the country using the gloves your talking about with no problems and they don't miss a word on the tickets they give out.
Mr.Warmth

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
FWIW - I just priced heated grips on the H-D web site and found the cheapest were around $220. I got a quote of $150 from the dealer service dept. for installation. I think I can buy lots of gloves for that! :wacko:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
tlewis said:
Have to be coordinated to put one on and then hook up the other one and get it on.
Hook both gloves up, then put them on :D

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fauskar said:
Try http://powerletproducts.com/

If they don't have something, I would be surprised.
Thanks all, but after reading the Harley instructions about hanging the fitting off to the side, etc. here are the "correct" instructions IMHO:

Step 1 - Throw away the Harley instructions!

Step 2 - Hook the harness wires to battery.

Step 3 - Run harness (one that plugs into heated gloves cable) under the seat and wedge the connector between the front tip of seat & tank. :duh?:

Step 4 - Sit on bike, look straight down, plug gloves cable into connector.

Step 5 - Start bike, flip power switch for gloves, ride away. :thumbsup::clap: {salute(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts