V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate any experience with heated vests, gloves, etc. Do they work well or are they not worth the hassle? What brands work well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use the gerbing jacket, gloves, socks and pants in the winter time and they are worth the money if you want to ride in the cold.
I also use them in the rain. I would highly recommend them to anybody.
They are a little expensive.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Heated gloves

I just bought the HD heated gloves. I have ridden with only the gloves (I mean I have no other heated clothing!) in 25 degree weather comfortably on my Road King. They work amazingly well, but are EXPENSIVE! I think there are less expensive variants out there that are just as good (I've heard the Gerbing is excellent, but no experience..) The huge problem with the HD gloves revolves around the switch and harness. The switch is way too big, bangs into and scratches the side cover, and the harness is a super ***** to put on. There has to be an easier way to make this work. The solution is to buy all the stuff, which is probably why they make the thing such a pain to use if you only spring for the gloves like I did. There are also charging system limits to be observed for each bike, you need to research this before popping for the whole set-up. I love the gear, just need to iron out some little issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in Boston and ride 12 mos. a year (unless snow). I bought an Aero-
stitch vest 4-5 yrs ago and It's lasted me through 3 bikes. I wouldn't ride
in the cold without it. It's a fleecey thing that looks better than the Gerbings or the Widder although they are fine products also. I found the
Aerostitch/Riderwearhouse to be very easy to deal with. You don't need to buy the thermostat, they offer it at add'l cost and I never use it, if it gets too hot one push button turns it off.
Stay warm,
Mike R

·
Registered
21 Posts
For the past couple of years I've been using the BMW vest that I bought before I got my RKC. While I've heard people say that you don't need heated clothing in So. Cal. I would respectfully have to disagree. There is nothing worse than being cold and the heated vest has provided me with many a safe passage home. I think of it as a safety feature as my thoughts never wander to think about how cold I am. I've considered getting HD's heated grips, but haven't heard anything good or bad about them.

In case you can't tell I'm in favor of heated clothing.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Gaslydog, With the fairing on my bike and good long underwear etc I am usually pretty comfortable, except for my knees and lower legs. I didn't know there were heated pants, I thought it was just vests and gloves. I will check it out , now I know what to get for christmas. lol. Is gerbing the only one with heated pants, are they easy to turn on and off and how bulky are they? thanks rickpoco

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would exactly second pbsaz re: BMW vest, BMW and SoCal. I too am very interested in the heated gloves since my king has no fairing protection for the hands. (pbsaz, which beamer? I have a r11rt which i never ride any more).

greg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Greg,

I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to bikes and cars (ask my former partners) so my BMW list is a function of wanting them all.

R100RS
K75S
R1150GS
R1150RT
R1100S
K1200RS

Part of my therapy is my RKC :) Fotunately my SO is very understanding. LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
rickpoco
They are not bulky at all, you will need to buy a thermastat with them to be able to turn them off and on. I just wear a pair of blue jeans under mine and that is all you need.
They also are easy to put on and take off, they have zippers up to your knees with a velcro flap.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would the heated vest be a logical place to start or will I regret not getting the whole suit later on? Will the Gerbing jacket and pants replace rain gear or are they not that waterproof?

·
Registered
686 Posts
gasly dog thanks for the reply. Do they keep your knees warm , I have some good old arthirtis in my knees (wear and tear) so when they get cold they get real stiff, like I have a hard time getting off the bike. thats why I don't have a tour pack its eaiser to just swing my leg over.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just purchased a pair of heated jacket liners for the wife and I last week. Tried them out last weekend on a cold afternoon. I can see where they will be well worth the investment. We purchased the HD jacket liners instead of the vest because with the jacket liner you get all the connections already built in for plugging in heated gloves or pants. The J. liner was only $40 more than the vest. Be sure and purchase the thermastat. Without it you will be overheated before you know it. These things work really good. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't have extensive knowlege of all the brands, but I do look like a poster boy for HD Heated gear.

I ride all winter long in NJ, so I can tell you it works very well.

A couple of things to keep in mind;
1. Get a thermostat [dual is better]. This way you get even heat instead of On [too hot] / Off [too cold]. The dual t-stat allows you to split different items. [I always find the gloves too hot compared to the jacket]
2. Plug every thing in and check the draw on your charging system. At low rpms you may actually kill the battery. [don't ask me how I know this]

hope this helps.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
HD heated jacket

I take my RK every single day of the year ( or nearly ;) to go to work.. I wear a heated HD jacket. It does the job and its good quality stuff. I use normal winter gloves and have had no problem with the battery so far.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I was loking at the gerbing web site and I see that they sell liners, which I think would be the way I would go, anyone use just heated liners under your leathers?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Re: HD heated jacket

joannchr said:
I take my RK every single day of the year ( or nearly ;) to go to work.. I wear a heated HD jacket. It does the job and its good quality stuff. I use normal winter gloves and have had no problem with the battery so far.
Whoa! You live in NY and ride everyday of the year? Wow! Good for you! BTW, welcome aboard,

wyo

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
joanchr,

How far is your ride ? My hands are the only thing that gets cold and you said you wear regular winter gloves. I ride all year in Mass.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts