V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
RFTW
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
> Well Bud I told you that I would write you an e mail telling you how well or bad the Oil Bud performed on my FLHTCU. As you well know the dressers have a big problem with heat issues and my bike seemed to be one of the worst ones out there. I live in Nevada but my bike was a dealer trade from a dealer in California and with that came the EPA problems and heat. My first ride on my new bike was around Lake Tahoe on a spring day and naturally there was traffic. My bike didn’t like that at all and soon over heated and died on the side of the road. I can’t tell you how mad I was because this has never happened to me before on any of my Harleys.
> After sitting on the side of the road for over an hour my bike started back up and I drove it down to my selling dealer. I was told that this was normal and they could do a download that should help but not eliminate the problem. Well needless to say I walked out mad as ever. After many hours of reading on how to fix this problem by replacing the exhaust system and adding a tuner, I went with a ThunderMax auto tune and big sucker intake the bike did run better but was still very hot to ride on any warm day above 80 degrees.
> Flash forward three months and I decided I’d install an Ultracool because the heat was killing me. Even after spending thousands I was still running 280 degrees in the oil tank so you know the heads were hotter than that.
> So again after hours of reading I ordered the Ultracool oil cooler because I read a post about it and most agreed it was a good idea to ad an oil cooler and at that time I didn’t see anything about your product on any of the forms.
> One guy did buy your cooler and wrote about it on the form, he wrote that he had removed the Ultracool and installed your cooler in it’s place. He also said he was running much cooler. After I contacted him I decided that I was going to send back the Ultracool and purchase your cooler instead.
> Well after a few problems with the install I got it ready for a trial run up around the Lake so I could see for myself what it did for my bike. Well all I can say is there is a cure for the heat problems on full dressers with smog and it’s called an Oil Bud cooler. Since the install my bike has not once gone over 249 degrees in the same place that left it on the side of the road. What I saw was amazing my bike was running 50 degrees cooler than before while stuck in the same traffic. Normal ridding around the lake the bike never goes over 228 degrees 52 degrees cooler than before.
> So now you can say I told you so. Even though there isn’t that much information about your product on any of the forms I can honestly say your product change the way my bike runs and for that I can’t thank you enough.
>
> Bill H
>

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Bill, thanks for the post. I've looked at an oil bud; but had not heard much first hand info about them.

If you did your own install, could you comment on that? One reason I haven't popped for a cooler, so far, is that many of them would look out of place on my RK Custom.

I'd like to see the Oil Bud on your bike.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey Bill, thanks for the review! I am here in AZ and Yes it sure gets Freakin Hot. The cost of the Oil Bud has kept me from popin but your review sure adds the value. Tell us more about the install issues you had. Thanks

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Consider a good 2-1 pipe like a SuperTrapp or D&D FatCat w/quiet baffle. Also consider some headwork. Those along with a good tune on a dyno by a good tuner will drastically lower your temps and make your hot weather riding much more pleasant....and give you some giddyup to boot!

·
RFTW
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I did do the install myself and just because it took a while shouldn't frighten anyone who can understand directions. The install took a little longer than expected for one reason they use JIC fitting I guess they are used on aircraft and the directions don't give you and specs on how much you should tighten them or for that fact how to tighten them but I figured it out. Also at the adapter they use the same type of fitting so you must be careful not to over tighten them. Speaking of the adapter the cheap one or 595 one looks great on the bike so spending the extra money on a polished one is a waste of money and if you like black a can of spray paint will do the trick. As for pictures of the set up i'll try to get you some but you can't see it at all it's between the frame rails, the only part you can see is the rear fitting on the right side of the bike but it's no big deal you'll only see it if I point it out.
I highly recommend this cooler you won't be sorry I promise. I don't know these guys but they answered the phone even on a sunday afternoon the day I installed mine. Today it was around 90 degrees outside and my bike never went over 228 before she'd be around 279 or above.
I'll go take a picture and see if I can post it here.

·
RFTW
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK guys i did it the pictures are below. The picture of the rear cooler hanging down is exaggerated I did it so you can see the JIC fitting. It take less than one minute to put it back up behind the frame so you really don't see it unless you bend over.

Bill

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Never heard of this. What is the difference between this and plain old oil cooler?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Never heard of this. What is the difference between this and plain old oil cooler?
http://harleyoilcoolers.com/index.html

Per the web site:

"AT LAST - the days of sacrificing sleek lines and design style in the name of keeping oil temps cooler are gone. The new Oil Bud ™ intercooler efficiently delivers a 35 degree oil cooling differential, but what's better, the under-mount design means no one knows the Oil Bud ™ motorcycle oil cooler is on board.

Perhaps the reluctance to bolt the traditional radiator style oil cooler to the downtube or the front of the frame has left some Harley owners in denial about the importance of oil temperature. Bud Clarke, owner of Bud's Biker Parts, wasn't content to let oil temps on his 2005 Harley Softtail run at 250 degrees (newer Harleys up to 280 degrees) and risk engine trouble.

One day when walking by an experimental airplane he was building at his business - AirRyder - a thought struck Clarke. If the oil cooler he designed for this turbo charged intercooled airplane could cool oil temps from 260 degrees to under 200, certainly he could design something for his Softail Harley.

And he did.

Inspired by aircraft technology, the Oil Bud ™ oil cooler is built from aircraft quality materials, braided stainless hoses and 6061-T6 aluminum extrusion and welded in header tank assembly. The temperature regulator starts to open when oil temps hit 185 degrees and fully opens at 200 degrees. Temperature differentials from the cold to the hot side of the cooler have been measured at more than 35 degrees.

The durable Oil Bud ™ oil cooler fits between the frame rails of your Harley, and once mounted under the motorcycle, it is virtually undetectable. It is designed for 2000-2011 model years Harley Softail, 1999-2011 Harley Touring and 1999-2011 Harley Dyna. It is easily installed with no major retrofits required. Cooler oil temperatures mean longer engine life for your motorcycle. What are the costs to your engine when oil gets too hot and breaks down? With Oil Bud ™, Harley Davidson owners no longer have to take the chance of running hot oil temps .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Other oil cooler are $250-$300.

This is $600-$650.

Seems pricey.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
If you were truly running 280 degree oil temps under normal conditions before the oil cooler install then there is an issue with your bike. Either your injection is running too lean or you have a restriction in the exhaust. The oil cooler seems to be a patch not a fix. Your bike should be running 220-240 degree oil temps under normal riding conditions even in 100+ degree summer time temps.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
If you were truly running 280 degree oil temps under normal conditions before the oil cooler install then there is an issue with your bike. Either your injection is running too lean or you have a restriction in the exhaust. The oil cooler seems to be a patch not a fix. Your bike should be running 220-240 degree oil temps under normal riding conditions even in 100+ degree summer time temps.
No stock Touring bike in 11 or 12 will run 240 oil temp in 100 degree weather. The Cat drives the heat up. The very lean EPA tune drives the heat up. The bigger engines, have less cooling surface on the fins, as the boar is what is getting bigger. Less surface is less heat transfer.

I was seeing 270 with a cooler with the factory tune and cat. I now run 240 most the time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I dont mean to ask a dumb question, but, someone please explain how having a oil cooler mounted under your motor, sitting in traffic, with no air moving thru the cooler, cools the oil?
Thanks

·
RFTW
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not true all baggers 09 and newer run very hot even with a tuner and pipes they still run above 270. Mine hit 300 around Lake Tahoe and my bike actually died in the middle of the road from overheating. Yes it was before the pipes and tuner but it still hit 300 and shut down. I had to push it out of traffic and wait over an hour before she restarted.
The dealer told me this was normal because my bike was a California bike running very lean at over 9000 feet, I.E. No air at 9000 feet so she just shut down to protect the bikes engine.
Yesterday I took the bike back up around the Lake and she never went over 228 but i wasn't stuck in traffic at all.

Bill

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I dont mean to ask a dumb question, but, someone please explain how having a oil cooler mounted under your motor, sitting in traffic, with no air moving thru the cooler, cools the oil?
Thanks
yeah...been wondering that myself. Inclined to get the Jagg 10 row with fan.

Maybe the large surface area of the Oil bud....? It's way larger and flatter than the Jagg or the HD front mounted coolers.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
It seems to me a oil cooler is like a car radiator. As long as you are moving you dont need a fan, but as soon as you stop you need the fan to keep air moving thru the cooler/radiator. So if you make a car radiator from the same material as this cooler you wont need a fan? Maybe I'm wrong but I dont think so.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thanks
I want to hear it as well, I've installed many cooler on overheating vehicles, mostly transmissions and if not in a place with good air flow the temp remains the same.

By the way didn't HD used the frame of the Buell to cool the oil, I may be wrong but I think they did.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts