V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ideas? The interior bracket that the worm claps go through have broken off. And of course treat part is missing also. Short of replacing the shield, what can be done?

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Whats a treat part?

If the little clamp clip separated, and they do that often, you can drill them and rivet back in place. And OEM heat shields are often to be had used for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I meant to type “the”.
iPhone ya know
The heat shield attachment fell off, actually two of them did. So I do not have that part. Brazing a part on I thought about but would probably show through the chrome on the outward side.
I shall begin a search for another shield.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
I once had a broke crossover pipe and being broke myself I had to redneck it. The break at the intersection could have been welded if I had 2 nickels to rub together. I tried JB Weld then cut a cat food can with a clamp and JBW. I was at a real hardware store with my supervisor and the clerk advised me to buy a tube of wood heater crack sealer. A caulking gun is used so I gooped that chit on there and sealed it. When it dried it looked like JBW. After a 30 mile loop the Kawi 750 was as new. Good thing I smoothed it with a wet finger because it was hard as metal.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Worthy of a try, that goop, but I figure I would choose better metal than a cat can, no matter how available around my house. The wife has them stacked up. Lol.
You actually gave me an idea to bring to the bench now.

·
FOAD
291 Posts
Brazing a part on I thought about but would probably show through the chrome on the outward side.
If you still had the little part the clamp goes through and know a good welder and by good I mean good they can be put back on.
My son did a couple for me and you have to look real close to see a little blue spot on the chrome.
I have heard other people having success and lots of failures as well over the years

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, that one shield is missing two after I noticed the rattling.
The original bracket has small ears and there is enough room to make a bracket with long ears, maybe 1" on either side and use the wood heater sealer. Extra surface area on the bond might do. Not optimistic, but quarantine is a good time to play with it. I looked up the parts book and see it is original 65481-86. Browsed this and nothing. Browse fxr heat shield and found a few, one looked perfect, but 160 some odd Samoans.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trying to wrap my head around pop rivet? This will show on the outside chrome surface of the shield, right? I am thinking drill a hole in the bracket ears and the shield, then rivet together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ideas? The interior bracket that the worm claps go through have broken off. And of course treat part is missing also. Short of replacing the shield, what can be done?
I was going to say JB weld the clamp to the inside of the shield, but make sure you mount it so you can get to the clamp easily from the bottom or side. good luck. also make it kinda thick so it will keep the shield away from the pipe. JB weld gets harder with heat

·
Registered
873 Posts
A good TIG weldor can make a small tack and you can polish off any bluing but might get some minor staining.

Too bad no one does stainless heat shields and crossover header pipes as they breathe better than separate drag pipes. (Car guys run crossovers for good reason, torque!) Make a high quality repair as one day you may want to have it rechromed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok
Will learn this picture posting this week. I have JB weld in the shop, but it says 600f max? Here in the Deep South I would have to order that ‘wood heater crack sealer” stuff.
I took off the separate drag pipes and have the stock headers with crossover now. Also some knock off cycle shack mufflers. I think the bike runs better with the crossover.
These headers and shields are the originals, no drilling through them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JB weld
Will see if it melts or get harder with temp.
I may try something different other than the worm clamp band, but initially would like to see if JB will work or to use another compound.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No dice on JB Weld. It lasted for about 400 miles.
This part is hard to find. I have another idea...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts