V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've given up. The hose clamp brackets on my heat shields keep breaking due to the vibes of the rubber mounted engine. I'm getting the brackets reinforced with welding which will, of course, mess up the chrome. So I'm getting them bead blasted and then sprayed with high temp black paint. It should look OK with the black engine of the fxdx.
(Samson Caliber 2>1 but I've heard that it happens with other brands also. Decent warraanty service from Samson but it's still a pita.)

Fred

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Hmmmmm....so far no bracket probelms with stock pipes, SEIIs and V&H ProPipe HS.

T113

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Try aligning the clamps and the brackets so they don't bind when the clamps are snugged up. Use a little WD40 and some TLC, its not the shaking from the ENGINE.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I never had any problems on my Lowrider, I had the shields on for about 6 months (before I swapped to Hard Krome 2-1 pipes). As a matter of fact, I think I might still have them wrapped up in my storage shed. If I have them, and they still look good (should, it's been nothing but hot and dry here, and I kept them wrapped up as well), you are welcome to them. I'd only ask for packaging and shipping costs.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heat shields

Thanx for the offer. Are they Samson Caliber 2>1 shields? This is the second Caliber. The first one cracked the front head pipe clean through. Samson replaced the whole system but now I'm losing the heat shield brackets again. The indy shop said they were having problems with many dyna heat shields, not the straight part but the curvy ones. Anyway, this will look good all blacked out. By no means am I knocking Samson, other than maybe the welding on the clamp brackets. I LOVE the performance and sound on this 4-step 2>1. I recommend it to everyone who asks.
Fred

My mother-in-law is extending her stay with us because she does not want to go back to Florida right now. Yippee. Actually, I get along better with her than I do with her daughter.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
Fred1369 said:
I've given up. The hose clamp brackets on my heat shields keep breaking due to the vibes of the rubber mounted engine. I'm getting the brackets reinforced with welding which will, of course, mess up the chrome. So I'm getting them bead blasted and then sprayed with high temp black paint. It should look OK with the black engine of the fxdx.
(Samson Caliber 2>1 but I've heard that it happens with other brands also. Decent warraanty service from Samson but it's still a pita.)

Fred
you are probably overtightening the clamps.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
i've had the stock shields bust out after 40,000 mi.on my 98 dyna. kept the clamps just tight enough to stop the buzzing. the welds that hold the clamps on are just oversize spot welds. anybody got take offs lying around give me a holler.thanks spgtti.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts