V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 'leftover' 2011 FLHTP last week.I picked it up with the odometer showing 7 miles.Due to work and weather I didnt get to put many miles on it until this weekend.Long story short,yesterday I was stopped at a traffic light,at a bridge construction site,(only light for miles around)..the light turned red on my approach and a sign reads RED no longer than 3 minutes,so I know I couldnt have been sitting for more than 2 minutes..anyways,it was appx 77 degrees and the motor started 'stumbling' for lack of a better word...I believe it went into parade mode....do these bikes run that hot?...thanks for any replies.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Yep.....parade mode.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies but....

..I was really hoping to hear from someone who actually rides a newer bike with the 103...I find it difficult to believe these bikes get that hot in 2 minutes at 77 deg F...at 90 they would melt!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hot Hot Hot

..I was really hoping to hear from someone who actually rides a newer bike with the 103...I find it difficult to believe these bikes get that hot in 2 minutes at 77 deg F...at 90 they would melt!!!
I have a 2011 RKC 103, first day it was 30 or so out and at a idle it got red hot in less then 5 min. I changed the pipes and mufflers also went with SE255 cams and tuner, Much better in the world now. It will get hot that fast, Lean + big motor = HOT, thats all!

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
I actually ride a 2008 Police Road King with the 103...it's stock right now...but not for long....yes they run hot stock...change the a/c, exhaust, get some cams and she will run cooler.

·
Registered
106 Posts
do you have fairing lowers and were the vents closed? never had mine go to parade mode and put a few thousand miles on it stock before I changed the exhaust,cams, a/c ect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have a 2011 FLHTP and yes there is a lot of heat. A friend, who has a 2010 FLHTP, removed the heat shields and changed the pipes and said that fixed his problem. Of course I added lowers and havent complained yet because of the colder weather, but I see it as an "issue" I will have to deal with soon.

To see if it in parade mode have the dealer check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Smokin HOT Ride

I ride a 2008 FLHP. I remember the first few times I rode it, it felt like my jeans were going to catch on fire. I asked the dealer and was told that EPA mandates an air fuel ratio thats really lean and cranks the heat up. After riding my Bar B Q grill a few times last August I started researching into what I could do to change the AFR. I found a post here on the forum that told me about a product called XIEDs. I looked them up and ordered them. They're basicly a resiter that fits between the O2 sencor and the computer. Its like putting a bigger jet in a carb. The ECM thinks its running the EPA mandate, but it's putting more fuel in the cylinder. My bike is soooo much more enjoyable to ride. Lower heat, better trotle responce, and it even sounds better. Check them out,
www.nightrider.com
Best $100 I've spent

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all...

...for the good advice...I had an 07 FXDB with the 96 CID and an 06 FLHTP with the 88 CID and both were hot but I put hi flow ac pipes and a PCIII on both of them..cooled them off but really took a bite out of the MPG.....this bike is under warranty for 24 months and wanted to avoid the'this voids your warranty,that voids your warranty' debate with the dealer if anything ever failed....that said,after talking in person to a few guys I have decided it probably wasnt parade mode after all...I sat at other lights and even sat at the same light earlier that day with no issues...when i got home I let the bike idle in the garage for at least 5-6 minutes and it didnt happen again...thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2010 ultra classic limited with a103 the bike seems to run hot but what i did put new hedder pipes om without cats a screaming eagle download with reinharts slip ons runs alot cooler than my other ultras...... sounds good to

·
Registered
571 Posts
So far no heat issue on my 103 2010 Police. But summer is coming here in Florida. Will let you know.
However, I've been in 8 miles of stop and go traffic in 80 degree weather and didn't have a problem. I have stock 103 and rush slipons

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I actually ride a 2008 Police Road King with the 103...it's stock right now...but not for long....yes they run hot stock...change the a/c, exhaust, get some cams and she will run cooler.
Don't forget a tuner and get it on the dyno.............

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 08 FLHP changed pipes and air cleaner still fery very warm. Instaled a thundermax and it is rediculasly cool. You know there was a cool morning and I reached to wrm my hands and there was NOT much there. A tuner is #1

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
i have the most beautiful and loudest softail in the world.

and get a TTS and a real dyno tune (NOT from a dealer). this is the most important money i spent. that, and the thero controlled oil cooler.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 09 103 ran really hot. I changed to Vance & Hines power duals, sert, and monster ovals. Runs much cooler now. I am thinking of changing out the cams. Any suggestions? Andrews or the Screamin eagle 255?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Don't forget a tuner and get it on the dyno.............
Yo Nick...Got the PCIII installed......Stage 1 a/c kit....D&D Fatcat 2/1 black...and found a map for my exact set-up...dyno tune scheduled for 5 July. Runs cooler and a bit stronger on the low end....love them FatCat!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts