V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy...just signed up...good lookin' forum

Just bought an Ultra after riding a sportster for 25 years (It's like a different world :) )

No problems ...just a question about the radio setup...

It appears as though you can't have the speakers and the headsets playing at the same time ( poor design in my opinion)

Ideally I would like to have the option of allowing the passanger to listen to the headset
while I am listening to the front speakers.

Anyone ever seen this done or have any ideas or links for me

I'm going to ask the dealer next week when It goes for it's first checkup but....
not expecting much from them

thank for any thoughts

buck

-------------------------

just hav'n fun

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
As far as I know that is how all the touring bikes operate. I had a 91 Goldwing GL1500SE and now an 03 Electra Glide Ultra Classic and they both operate the same way. On my Goldwing I was able to put music on headphones and CB on speakers or vice versa. Co rider also had to listen to same configuration as I. I am not sure if my Electra Glide will let me listen to one on the headset while having the other on the speakers or not as I haven't tried the CB yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howdy

thanks for the replies...

Seems it's about the only combo that Harley didn't think of when they
setup the radio/intercom/CB ( seems like a no brainer to me but... )

Not I sure I would trust any of the techs at the local audio/car stereo shops around me
other than to ask a few questions of.

I can't believe that I'm the only one that would like this option

My girlfriend likes a ¾ helmet and there for, really needs the headphones
to hear the music...I like a small ½ helmet that it's not really practical to put the headset on.

When I go for the checkup I'll get a wiring schematic and go from there

thanks for anymore thoughts

buck

·
Registered
903 Posts
I doubt it can be done short of modifying the setup. What you can do is wire a headset jack to the existing rear speakers. I haven't done this but it should work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Howdy HarleyJoel

I doubt it can be done short of modifying the setup.
It does not work the way it is so obviously the setup will have to be modified. :)

Your idea is probably a good alternative but I think that will remove the
ability to have separate volume control.

While I'm waiting for the wiring schematic I'm going to try connecting
the speaker wires from the back of the headset jack to the main speaker wires
thru a switch and see what that does. ( hopefully no smoke :eek: )

buck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Howdy Ralph

That's kind of what I have in mind...Now I just have to find the right wires.

My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts...250 miles on this bike amd I already have it in my garage
with the seat, tank and faring off poking around :D

buck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is the headphone jack something similar to what you would have on a walkman or your home stereo? If so these are designed to break the audio lines to the speakers when the plug is pushed into the jack, this diverts the audio signal from the speakers to the headphones. You could simply find a jack that will not break the audio signal when the headphone plug is inserted, this would allow the audio signal to go to each device.

BUT, when you split the signal it is going to change the impedence of the circuit, since you now have additional loading on the circuit you may in turn reduce the amount of audio signal or maybe even cause damage to the equipment. I doubt the headphones would draw enough current to cause damage but I wouldn't want to risk it. You may need to find a high end audio installer in your area, they may have an impedance matching device that can throw in-line to prevent loading or possible damage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Howdy

Is the headphone jack something similar to what you would have on a walkman or your home stereo?
nothing like a walkman or home audio headphone jack...It's a 7 pin connector that look more like the S-video plug you see on some video and hi-fi equipment.

Here's what I've found/done...

I cut the end off one of the headset cords :) 5 wires plus a shielding/ground

black/white one speaker...green/yellow other speaker...red is part of the
intercom/CB interupt

For my test I wired it up to some small speakers I had kickin' around... black and white to one speaker
yellow and green to the other...Then I plugged the factory end into the drivers headset jack and put the speaker switch into headset mode....the small speakers on the work bench came on and the bike speakers went off like they are supposed to... the passenger headset works as normal ..
Both volume controls work independent of each other...(drivers for the external speakers and passengers for the headset)

There are a couple of different ways to wire this that I will think about before I do anything permanent...but that's the easy part :)

As a note...I am not an electrical engineer...I just like to tinker :)

buck

·
Registered
903 Posts
Now that you've figured out the din connector it shouldn't be too hard to wire something up. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
415 Posts
swanienufan said:
Is the headphone jack something similar to what you would have on a walkman or your home stereo? If so these are designed to break the audio lines to the speakers when the plug is pushed into the jack, this diverts the audio signal from the speakers to the headphones. You could simply find a jack that will not break the audio signal when the headphone plug is inserted, this would allow the audio signal to go to each device.

BUT, when you split the signal it is going to change the impedence of the circuit, since you now have additional loading on the circuit you may in turn reduce the amount of audio signal or maybe even cause damage to the equipment. I doubt the headphones would draw enough current to cause damage but I wouldn't want to risk it. You may need to find a high end audio installer in your area, they may have an impedance matching device that can throw in-line to prevent loading or possible damage.
Thats what I was saying about matching the impedance ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.