V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a headlight trim ring, the visored style, 69733-05,. Trying to install it this morning, I had two problems. 1) I can't get the two halves to come together at the bottom, even with some clamps, it wouldn't bottom our. and 2) the head of the screw pulls through the mount point. There's no shoulder for the screw head to sit on.

Did I get a defective one, or is this part just a piece of junk?

Does anyone know of an aftermarket headlight visor trim ring?

Thanks,

·
Registered
127 Posts
2001deuce said:
I purchased a headlight trim ring, the visored style, 69733-05,. Trying to install it this morning, I had two problems. 1) I can't get the two halves to come together at the bottom, even with some clamps, it wouldn't bottom our. and 2) the head of the screw pulls through the mount point. There's no shoulder for the screw head to sit on.

Did I get a defective one, or is this part just a piece of junk?

Does anyone know of an aftermarket headlight visor trim ring?

Thanks,
I have a 2005 Road King Classic with the visor style headlight covers.. I could not get the gap to close either at the bottom is it about ab 1/8 of an inch open and something you just have to get used to. I have heard that some people have put a piece of chrome tape over the gap.. I didnt like it at first but after a while it doesnt bother me. I still like the look. With all that said.. I do believe that HD could of made this cover better to close the gap...

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I fought mine to get it on right and was really unhappy with the tin foil looking tape they included to cover the gap. The when I took it for a ride and it whistled worse than those little plastic deer things you put on your car, it went back to the stealer.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I remember when I researched the same problem everyone told me the JP ring was ten times better, I just never got around to it before getting a different bike. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered the JP ring. Chrome, is yours a dished one or the visored one. I got the visored one.

Generally, I'm really happy with the MoCos parts, but this one is really bad, too bad.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes i have had the same issues on both my bikes, but am ok with the gap....:wacko:

·
Liker of Mid 60's FLH's
1,208 Posts
2001deuce said:
I ordered the JP ring. Chrome, is yours a dished one or the visored one. I got the visored one.

Generally, I'm really happy with the MoCos parts, but this one is really bad, too bad.
Deuce..I put the "dished" JP ring on the headlight of my Road King. Then I put the MoCo "visor" rings on the driving lights, and they fit Okay. For some lame reason..the MoCo accessory Head Light trim rings are exceptionally crappy?

·
Winter SUCKS
1,353 Posts
jmcampo said:
I have a 2005 Road King Classic with the visor style headlight covers.. I could not get the gap to close either at the bottom is it about ab 1/8 of an inch open and something you just have to get used to. I have heard that some people have put a piece of chrome tape over the gap.. I didnt like it at first but after a while it doesnt bother me. I still like the look. With all that said.. I do believe that HD could of made this cover better to close the gap...
@gree: Ditto here on my 2005 Road King Classic as well. Mine didn't even come with the "chrome piece of tape". After several attempts to close it as far as I could, I was able to get it closed with only a 1/8" gap. I placed tin foil (shiny side out) in the gap, and it is not noticeable (except to me). I have to agree with the majority in here - this is a piece of crap from the MoCo, and I am still considering changing it out to the JP Cycles one. Overall I like the MoCo products and generally use them 95% of the time. However, this one was a bit dissappointing........... On the other hand, the passing lamp visors did fit 100% perfect..........

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got the JP Cycles (actually packaged as Custom Chrome) trim ring. About a million times better than the HD one that I couldn't get to work. Although, because I'm picky, I will say that the screw sticks out a little too far...

I'll try to get a picture posted if anyone needs one..

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
As everyone already said, the little gap, at the bottom, is just a poor design.
I learned to live with it. :( In fact, I had stopped obsessing, about it, until you reminded me. ;) :laugh:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Simple fix

There is a simple fix that you can use. I removed the stock visor ring altogether. Take some electrical tape or some weatherstripping and wrap it around headlight mount assembly, the part that holds the entire headlight in the nautical. Once you do that, mount the visor style ring back on the bike with the lip of the visor ring between the nautical and the headlight mounting assembly. Tighten that baby down and align the two edges of the visor ring to make sure they close together perfectly. It will close the gap completely, the visor ring lip will bite into the weatherstripping and you will have a great looking setup. You will have to judege how much tape or weatherstripping to use, but I guarantee you will like the results. Necessity is the mother of invention.

·
Winter SUCKS
1,353 Posts
Head Lamp Trim Ring (Visor style)

I just got the JP Cycles (actually packaged as Custom Chrome) trim ring. About a million times better than the HD one that I couldn't get to work. Although, because I'm picky, I will say that the screw sticks out a little too far...

I'll try to get a picture posted if anyone needs one..
Hi Jim. Could you kindly post a pic of that one if you get a chance. Also, just curious if you have the HD passing lamp "visor style" trim rings on, and if so, do they match the headlamp trim ring from JP Cycles? And, about that screw - could it be filed / cut back?
Thanks for your time, I appreciate it. Ride safe,
Mike

·
Registered
194 Posts
I tried to order the Custom Chrome ring from discountcycleparts.com ($15 cheaper than J&P) earlier this week and was told the CC part was discontinued (Part No 30107). Went as far as calling CC to see if they had an updated part number, but was told they don't field questions from customers...only distributors. I got the feeling my same question to discountcycleparts.com is going to go unanswered... so I guess I'll be ordering from J&P (their system shows it's still in stock).

·
Winter SUCKS
1,353 Posts
Headlamp Trim Ring

I tried to order the Custom Chrome ring from discountcycleparts.com ($15 cheaper than J&P) earlier this week and was told the CC part was discontinued (Part No 30107). Went as far as calling CC to see if they had an updated part number, but was told they don't field questions from customers...only distributors. I got the feeling my same question to discountcycleparts.com is going to go unanswered... so I guess I'll be ordering from J&P (their system shows it's still in stock).
@gree: Same here. Even the local HD Shop in Michigan cannot get it from Custom Chrome. I just called JP Cycles, and it's on its way!!! :cheers: I can't wait to take off that piece of crap headlamp trim ring from the Moco, and smash it into 1,000 pieces :nunu:.......Then it will be "dented", and I will be forced to throw it out...:whistle:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts