V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what the largest wattage bulb you can use in a 2005 or newer Harley withut melting the housing. I would like to go with a more powerful headlight but some get so hot they will melt the housing.

Have a nice day,
Dan-o

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
try

pwdby460 said:
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what the largest wattage bulb you can use in a 2005 or newer Harley withut melting the housing. I would like to go with a more powerful headlight but some get so hot they will melt the housing.

Have a nice day,
Dan-o
you can use a 70/65. if you want to get as much as you can from any bulb,you really need to go w either 14 ( or 12if you canh fit it)gauge wire and a seperate relay. check danielsternlighting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
wattage equates to heat, high the wattage higher the heat. I ran a 100 watt bulb in my Sportster and it made the bulb connection 'wilt' a little. I put a small plastice tube around it to allow air flow and it was ok.
Felt like you could burn the pain off the car in front :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
I've successfully run a 90/100 Hella bulb in a glass Hella H4 lens/reflector assembly for 2 years with no melting of the plastic connector or wiring. For a bonus, the Hella assembly has a much better pattern the stock HD POS.

·
Just pidlin'
982 Posts
Where did you get the hella glass lens?

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
CHIPMAKER said:
Where did you get the hella glass lens?
eBay. I also use an aftermarket bucket and don't know if a glass lens will work in a stock bucket as the glass is an old style and is indexed whereas the stock HD isn't.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Instead of going higher wattage, why not try a whiter bulb/light? You could try the HD SE bulb. Works pretty well. I'm running the Sylvania Silverstar 9003 in my ride and love it. Better then the SE bulb IMO. Both are WAY better then stock. You can pick the Sylvania bulb up at most auto parts stores.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
You know, I used to ride across the Nevada desert where there are black cows sleeping on the road at night. I've tried all those ebay " my white is whiter than his" kind of bulbs. 100 watt. Even put on a pair of 5 inch spots with 130 watt bulbs in each. Didn't dare turn them on with less than 3000 rpm. I even had a hella black magic headlamp with a 130 watt h2 bulb. It looked really cool (black) when it was turned off, But,The Sylvania Silver Star.....
I can see at night. And now I have a road glide with 2 of them:harhar:

·
2002 FLSTCI
129 Posts
Freaky Bright Headlight

On recommendation from Bedemonster a year or two ago I switched to an 80/100 bulb from Osram. Its number is 64194. Halogen, super bright, and I've never had heat or any other issues from using it. I also have a wiring kit from spiyda.com that keeps the passing lamps on when on high. Let's just say I light up like a Christmas tree at night.

I ordered the bulbs off of the Web, and they were cheap - something like $14 each. Much brighter than the 55/60 "blue white" bulbs that cost $60+.

One thing to note -- this is an offroad bulb, and has a small extra tab on the base. Just bend it back with pliers and it slips easily into the H-D mount. I ride a 2002, but changed from the sealed beam to the clear lens and replaceable bulb.

Fantastic night vision with this bulb, and it's inexpensive as well.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I had the Silverstars and they are a lot better than the stock HD light been running them for years but I kept reading about the Orsam(puts out a little more light on the road) silverstar made by Sylvania too but you don't find them in auto parts or wallyworld like you do the Silverstars. I found a link I think it was on here to California Sport Touring
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mv so I decided to try them and so far so good. Definately a wider and brighter pattern.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
If you have a Road King bucket, you shouldn't have problems. An old style or Dyna bucket is much closer inside and you could have problems there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts