V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 road king that I had a 95 " kit with 203 cam's put in .
Now I am thinking of having the heads reworked at big boyz cycles .
What does every one think ? Is it worth the money?Look's like I would need to buy head gasket's and lower rocker gasket's ,what does HD charge for these? What kind of performance gains could I expect?

Tim

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Oh..I thought this was about.....uh....well, nevermind. Good luck with the motor upgrades.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
FWIW - Here are some other choices you can ask questions of for input.

AMS
1-800-210-8675
http://www.automotivemachine.com/

Big Boyz Cycles
207-621-1001
http://www.bigboyzcycles.com/

Bishop Performance
313-537-5026
http://www.bishopsperformance.com/heads.htm

Dewey's Custom
505-326-5998
http://www.deweyspegs.com/products.html

Baisley Hi-Performance
5511 N. Interstate Ave.
Portland Oregon 97217
(503)289-1251

Hal's Speed Shop
262-814-7282
http://www.halspa.com/default.asp?P=2

Hardy Heads
714-490-0155
http://performancetechniques.com/hardeyhead9/index.htm

BC Gerolamy
916-638-9008
http://www.bcheads.com/twin.htm

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
hazer said:
I have a 04 road king that I had a 95 " kit with 203 cam's put in .
Now I am thinking of having the heads reworked at big boyz cycles .
What does every one think ? Is it worth the money?Look's like I would need to buy head gasket's and lower rocker gasket's ,what does HD charge for these? What kind of performance gains could I expect?

Tim
Not neccessary as the 203's crap out before your heads stall.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Exactly what Woydude said about the heads...they stall at or under in most cases of .510 lift. you need to be thinking of a head/cam pkg. All right..I'll be the first one to say it and get it over with...Big Boyz heads(cheap..good value) and 37g cams and you're there.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Any of the companys offered by Bagger Dad can fill the bill. They can also help you taylor a matched set of parts and CR to suit your riding habits and your goals. IMO the head porting can help even with 203's but make much more difference using a cams set that was over 240 degrees duration. Heck over on HTT there is a 37g combo in the dyno section making 105hp or so and a fat flat tq curve, no explanation for that other than the heads, Hals.
Another worth contender Headquarters.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
The SE 203, while not my favorite cam at all, can benefit from headwork. My friend has a HTCC build with 203's and it keeps holding its torque (104pk) above 95 until 5200 rpms. When I had 203's in my bike, before headwork, they died out at 4200 rpm.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heads

So you guy's think I need to go to the 37g cam's .Can I still run the stock springs? How much head work will I need done ? Just porting or should I have the heads shaved or thinner head gasketand blue printed . I just would like to get a little more get up and go out of the road king but would like to keep as much reliability as possible . Oh and let 's not forget to keep the cost down as much as possible . Thanks for all the input .

04 road king
screamin eagle air
screamin eagle 1550 cylinder's flat top piston's
rhinehart true duals
screamin eagle race tuner

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heads

Also how much performance difference is there between the 37b chain drive vs 37 g gear drive . My thinking is save the gear drive conversion cost since I have brand new tensioners.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
hazer said:
Also how much performance difference is there between the 37b chain drive vs 37 g gear drive . My thinking is save the gear drive conversion cost since I have brand new tensioners.
Supposedly 4 hp due to timing consistency. I tend to agree after looking at
many dyno sheets.
If your going to change cams anyway I think it's a no brainer to go gear drive.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Of all the shops that BaggerDad listed, is any one better than the other?

My winter project will either be a six-speed tranny, or head work. Now Larry Hardy is less than an hour from me, and that is the ONLY reason I am leaning toward him. But really, in terms of headwork, is any one shop HEAD and shoulders above the rest. I know Tom at AMS does this special coating finish in the exhaust sides, and BC does a great job of matching the FI system to the heads, and EVERYBODY says their heads flow better than the HD SE heads, but can someone tell me why I should go with one over the others?

Thanks

Mark

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Paniolo said:

My winter project will either be a six-speed tranny, or head work. Now Larry Hardy is less than an hour from me, and that is the ONLY reason I am leaning toward him. But really, in terms of headwork, is any one shop HEAD and shoulders above the rest. I know Tom at AMS does this special coating finish in the exhaust sides, and BC does a great job of matching the FI system to the heads, and EVERYBODY says their heads flow better than the HD SE heads, but can someone tell me why I should go with one over the others?

Thanks

Mark
I'm biased but I would recommend calling them all and seeing who talks the language that you want to hear. Not all the companies listed offer the same "apples for apples" services. Maybe one will stand out more to you than the others.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Paniolo said:

Thanks

Mark

Wow...big difference in price between the two. How do you decide?...If you can't come up with the extra money for a six speed, do the head work?

By the way, I agree with springers advice to call and talk with them...or email if like me you don't like talking on the phone any more than you have to.;)

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Seahag said:
Wow...big difference in price between the two. How do you decide?...If you can't come up with the extra money for a six speed, do the head work?

By the way, I agree with springers advice to call and talk with them...or email if like me you don't like talking on the phone any more than you have to.;)
I can't decide, that's why I'm doing all this posting. At first it was the HD six speed gear set, thinking if I lowered my rpms at 80+mph, I might get better mpgs when I tour.

Then I thought about head work, which is a lot cheaper in terms of parts. But after years of tuning issues, I bought an SERT and finally got the old M&M running real nice. Better than it ever has. So much so that I am afraid to change anything that has to do with the motor. Part of me thinks that freer flowing heads will really make a difference, and part of me says, leave a good thing alone, and do the 6-speed.

It's really hard to say this, but I have my bike almost the way I want it. I am running out of things to do. I find myself changing hoses and fittings "just for fun", and thinking of making my crash bar into a secondary oil cooler. A 6-speed and head work is all that I have left in my book. Sure I could change cams, go to 103", yada, yada, but really I'm about done.

What I will probably do is get the 6-speed and ride the bike for a year. If it develops tuning or engine issues, then do the heads and a gear cam. I'm just thinking out loud here, that's all.

2001 Ultra Peace Officer Special Edition
95" kit
Stage II
.203 cams
SE intake
Hooker True Dual Headers with Jet-Hot Coating
FullSac Mufflers
SERT for M&M FI
Alpha-N-Fuel Processor with O2 sensor
Motorcycle Innovations Oil Cooler
Custom Paint
Metzler Wide White Walls
RoadSofa seat with gel and heater
Wild1 575 handlbars
HotGrips with variable temp control
RivCo Center Stand
V-Twin Heat Deflectors
Lyndall brake pads
Some other stuff I can't recall

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
IMO a Gerolomy bored out intake will help even on this mild build. I would not be surprised if you pick up 5hp. It may and likely will need retuning. Call BC and he will tell you how this helps even stockers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts