V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been pondering hopping up one of my EVO bikes ('98 FLHTC, '99 FLSTS), haven't decided which one yet. They're both heavy bikes, and Head Quarters sells this kit including 0.580"/0.500" cam/ignition/carb jet kit/pushrods/gaskets/venturi set/head work/manifold porting. They claim their kit bumps compression to 9.5:1 using stock pistons, and that it will produce 85HP and 92TQ @ 4000rpm when properly tuned. Price is $1390 for parts and machine work. I like these HP/TQ numbers, and the idea of a kit where (you assume) all the components have been optimized to work with one another for best performance.

Anybody have an experience with their EVO hop up kits, or any of their other products/services for that matter, that you would care to share?

More low-end and low-midrange torque is what I'm shootin for. Want to get the most I can (hopefully around 90TQ) for around $1500 or less. Any other ideas?

Right now I'm running Andrews EV13 in FLHTC, EV23 in FLSTS, SE airbox both, Dynojet carb kit both, performance exhaust both, stock heads/pistons both.

Thanks!

If you're curious, info on this kit is at:
http://www.head-quarters.com/html/system_85.html

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You can't go wrong with HQ. Doug really knows his stuff. There are a few that will make better numbers on a dyno, but no one outruns his bikes on the street. I have no business connection with him other then the sharing of a certain philosophy when it comes to building stuff. Less is more. LOL.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HIPPO. Always value your opinion.

I've been waffling back and forth about my '98 FLHTC lately, wondering whether to keep it or to sell it and get a TC88. I think I've come to the realization that it is a perfectly good and fun bike, and although the TC is an improvement, it is not like night and day over the EVO. When HD puts that V-Rod motor into the baggers...well that should be something! I think I'll just ride the heck out of this '98 and wait for HD to build the "Aquaglide" as Creep calls it. LOL.

From the dyno charts in the HD catalog, looks like this Head Quarters kit can make a 1340cc EVO run as strong as a stage 3 1450cc TC. That should let me keep up with most of 'em around here!

I'll let ya know if I decide to go with the HQ kit. Thanks again. Have a nice weekend:)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
These things are hard to give an opinion on, but I'm convinced dyno numbers do not give the whole story. Over the last couple of years I have seen any number of really built EVO's (and I know the dyno numbers on these bikes) on similar bikes try to keep up with my almost stock TC's, and it just doesn't happen. The only place they can pull you a little is dragging from stoplite to stoplite.

These guys are good riders, as I have ridden with them for a long time, but you really would have to hammer the EVO's to be there. It might be a different story with lighter bikes, but with the baggers roll on torque and linear power delivery rules.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HIPPO said:
Over the last couple of years I have seen any number of really built EVO's (and I know the dyno numbers on these bikes) on similar bikes try to keep up with my almost stock TC's, and it just doesn't happen.
Nah, I think the difference is that good Bel Ray EXS juice you run! LOL. I changed over to it today, from Mobil 1 V-Twin. Figured I'd give it a try. Haven't been able to ride yet 'cause it's raining, but will tomorrow morning with my buddy Dan. He's got a 2000 injected RoadKing. Curious to see the difference in the feel of the motor:D

I completed about 2/3 of my 10,000 mile service today! This stuff really isn't hard, just takes time. I was at my dealer this morning, buying gaskets/o-rings/grease etc.. The service manager walks out to the parts desk while I was there, sees what I am buying (obviously to do the service myself), and shakes his head in disgust. Oh well, he won't be getting my $400+:p

Thanks for the encouragement along the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts