V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Discarded Crew Member
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, has anyone done much porting of the twin cam heads?
I am going to a 95 inch and was thinking about doing some very minor porting of my stock heads. Such as only removing the big wedge of aluminum in the intake and exhaust ports. I also would like to know if anyone knows how much if any performance changes there would be.
Any information would be very helpful...
Thanks

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Not to be rude, but have you done a search on the subject here? There has been much discussion of this subject in other threads. A few porters frequent this board as well.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
ktwillys said:
Hi all, has anyone done much porting of the twin cam heads?
I am going to a 95 inch and was thinking about doing some very minor porting of my stock heads. Such as only removing the big wedge of aluminum in the intake and exhaust ports. I also would like to know if anyone knows how much if any performance changes there would be.
Any information would be very helpful...
Thanks
Porting Twin Cam heads, especially with a 95" motor and larger, is a great way to build power. In this month's American Iron Magazine, Donnie Peterson has a good article on ways to improve the power in the TC motor. He talks quite a bit about porting the heads and the PROPER way to do it. Definitely worth reading.

Big Boyz Cycles is a sponsor here and does head porting and Dewey Jelen aka Silver Bullet posts here and also ports heads. You can ask them directly about it.

http://www.deweyspegs.com/products.html#tc88porting
http://www.bigboyzcycles.com/ site under construction

Lastly, there are a lot of porters out there, I had a great local guy do mine.

·
The OTHER White Meat.
1,704 Posts
Everything I've read indicates porting is something best left to pros. It is eazy to screw things up, and unlike a bad haircut, a screwup won't grow back.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I had my heads done by Dan Baisley. Great man to talk to and full of advice. I took my heads and showed them to the head mechanic (that has a very good rep for performance builds) at my local HD shop. He was very impressed with the work and asked for Dans phone#. Just my -2$en#e-

·
Discarded Crew Member
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
porting

Thanks for the information, it will be very helpful...
I have ported many a automotive engine but never a motorcycle
to any real extent.
And I do have to agree that it is something best left to the pros, but I am looking to do some very mild work. Not much more than getting rid of the enviormental BS.
Thanks again

·
Discarded Crew Member
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im on my way to get the mag.
thanks for the info

Totenkopf said:
Porting Twin Cam heads, especially with a 95" motor and larger, is a great way to build power. In this month's American Iron Magazine, Donnie Peterson has a good article on ways to improve the power in the TC motor. He talks quite a bit about porting the heads and the PROPER way to do it. Definitely worth reading.

Big Boyz Cycles is a sponsor here and does head porting and Dewey Jelen aka Silver Bullet posts here and also ports heads. You can ask them directly about it.

http://www.deweyspegs.com/products.html#tc88porting
http://www.bigboyzcycles.com/ site under construction

Lastly, there are a lot of porters out there, I had a great local guy do mine.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
ktwillys said:
Im on my way to get the mag.
thanks for the info
It's the December issue, go to Page 48.

Actually, the whole Techline article by Donnie is worth reading.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
strange

Totenkopf said:
It's the December issue, go to Page 48.

Actually, the whole Techline article by Donnie is worth reading.
Is that the issue where they did a cam install and lost power from2500-3300 and never mentioned what cam they used,or was i missing a page????

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
FatBobRob said:
Is that the issue where they did a cam install and lost power from2500-3300 and never mentioned what cam they used,or was i missing a page????
That must be the previous issue where they did Buzz's 95" bagger project and never mentioned the cam. I remember that! I was wanting to know which cam too.

No, this issue just came out on the newsstand and this Techline article is the first installment of a series on how and what to use for various power performance increases depending on the mission of the bike. The first article is an overview of all the areas for potential improvement and the TC heads are discussed.

It's the Dec'05 issue. Check it out! and I'm hoping the next installment has some real meat in it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts