V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RIDE-SLEEP-EAT-RIDE
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 FLHTCUI,and removed my headlight lamp,to replace it with a brighter one.
I get that thing apart,and let it sit for a while,and lo and behold I can't figure out how to put the stupid retainer clip back on.
There must be a simple explination . I don't know if someone could explain it very easily in type. T:dunno: :dunno: Thanks in advance

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
It just clips into the ring, TDC, and then it goes down into the assy at the top, with the ring stuck out at an angle, then the ring is "closed" downward like a door on a hinge.
That being said, if the headlight is sitting a little high in the fairing, it's a stone bitch.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I did the same thing but i'll be d&%$ed if I can remember how I figured it out. Maybe there's a picture in the service manual?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Your talking about the retainer clip for the bulb right? The retainer clip should be shaped like a "C". The inside of the clip should be where it hinges, The outside snaps under the headlight base. I'm not real good at describing but once you get it you'll see what I'm talking about.

Here is the best pic I could find on the net. Not a harley light, but close enough to get you fixed.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts

·
GottaRideS'more
278 Posts
This trick worked for me:

Place (hang) the retaining clip in the little slot at the top of the circular base.
It will hang down, ready for you to "press" the headlight assy. onto it. The "legs" will snap into place under the rubber ring in the headlght assy.

If you try to do it the other way, spreading the "legs" and inserting in into the headlight assy. first and then try to catch it onto the slot in the base, you'll probably not get it seated correctly and will get very frustrated.

Good luck. I wasted a lot of time on this before I realized that it goes on the base first.

OR in the future:

You could just remove the outer fairing and replace the bulb without taking the headlight assy. off.
I got the feeling that the headlight assy. is more delicate than it should be, and if you're comfortable removing the fairing (I am), it may save you from having to re-align the headlight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts