V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Ultra and the headlamp is discolored. I need to replace it and my first inclination is oem. I would like a light that would shine a little brighter and farther. However many friends with aftermarket lights are so bright I won't let them ride behind me. Does anyone have experience with a light out there that works better than oem, but that does not blind everyone in front of me and coming toward me?

Also; I am not fond of this new format.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
It is just the housing that gets discolored. You can clean it with microfiber cloth, cleaner, and a stick. I used Dawn and water or windex.

·
not sober all the time
5,194 Posts
I swapped to a Hella H4 halogen "e" code headlamp housing with a 65/55W bulb on my 2004 Road King. The bulb is an older Osram which may not be available now, not sure. On the Daniel Stern website, they say the best H4 right now is a 60/55W Tungsram +120.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is just the housing that gets discolored. You can clean it with microfiber cloth, cleaner, and a stick. I used Dawn and water or windex.
Thanks, I will try that. I really always thought it was a sealed beam.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swapped to a Hella H4 halogen "e" code headlamp housing with a 65/55W bulb on my 2004 Road King. The bulb is an older Osram which may not be available now, not sure. On the Daniel Stern website, they say the best H4 right now is a 60/55W Tungsram +120.

Thanks for the information

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Thanks, I will try that. I really always thought it was a sealed beam.
Sealed beams haven't been used in almost a couple decades.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Thanks for the information
You welcome. Look up Adjure Lights and they have anything your heart desires concerning a lamp. My first night on a 02 Heritage was the last one with oem headlight and spots. My son had to ride in front on a Vulcan while I followed his taillight home. Its the most bang for the buck. Then go to eBay and see if they cheaper than the factory.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have a 2000 Ultra and the headlamp is discolored. I need to replace it and my first inclination is oem. I would like a light that would shine a little brighter and farther. However many friends with aftermarket lights are so bright I won't let them ride behind me. Does anyone have experience with a light out there that works better than oem, but that does not blind everyone in front of me and coming toward me?

Also; I am not fond of this new format.
I have the stock headlamp on my EG but i added the Cee Bailey yellow covers on my passing lamps. It isn't too bright for the people you ride behind but by putting out yellow and white light you definitely see more and better at night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Install an LED bulb (about $60 at Cycle Gear or J&P Cycles). It makes a world of difference. There was plenty of room in my 2001 Road King’s headlight assembly. Not so much in my Dyna, so I bought a complete LED kit from J&P for about $200. If you ride at night, it is well worth the money.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have cleaned lots of headlights on automobiles using wet sanding. If it is in horrible shape, and yellowed, start with 220. If it is slightly discolored start with 400. Finish with 600, 800, 1000, 2000 and then go to a polishing compound. I have never been able to completely remove a slight haze in the final product but the headlight will function like new. You have to completely remove the old discolored plastic.
Regarding the LED headlight conversion and the glare, a properly aimed LED headlight on low beam will not blind anyone and the high beam will still be there when you need it at night. I changed out my stock 2012 Road Glide headlights with Custom Dynamics Tru Beam headlights. I can clearly see 500 feet at night on high beam. No on coming cars flashed their brights at me when I was running on low beam.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts