V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting some carbon like build-up on the left side of my front cylinder. I just had the 5000 mile service. I would think this is something that should have been discovered during the $100 service. Does anyone have a similar problem? I'm waiting on a temperature sensor location kit to come in to put my SE tips back on. Should I ride it as is til then or take it to the dealer now? Any Advice?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I just had it at the dealer for the 5000 mile service. I thought they went over the bike as part of the extra cost for the service. I'll try to post a pic tonight. It's not real bad. I brought it to a technicians attention at about 2000 miles. He said it was just 'gunk'. It is funny that the 'gunk only seems to build up on the front left side of the front cylinder though. Someone noticed it this weekend and told me that if I don't fix it soon it is going to blow the head gasket. I'm not sure of the tourque specs on the head or I would just try to tighten it myself.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
I tend to agree, it's probably a head gasket leak. The black gunk will bleed for a long time before it blows. I think you will have to have the head pulled to fix it right. Meanwhile watch your pant legs because when the bike gets hot it will spew the crap against your leg. I guess this leads to the question of Warranty, are you still covered? I wouldn't be to confident in a service tech referring to it as gunk either.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
You know? There are probably still some of the bean counting moles here. They are sitting in their cubicals. Their sole purpose in life is to take note of what folks are saying about HARLEY DAVIDSON on The Web. And if they see something that is negative :eek: they TELL someone.

What's say we ask one of those guys?

Well?

?...................................... hey! those are crickets huh?!

CockADoodleDo Y'all!

·
Registered
70 Posts
JimmyK said:
You know? There are probably still some of the bean counting moles here. They are sitting in their cubicals. Their sole purpose in life is to take note of what folks are saying about HARLEY DAVIDSON on The Web. And if they see something that is negative :eek: they TELL someone.

U-haul searches the Google groups for negative comments then zips out an email offering a discount the next time you rent from them.

If I say something bad about Harleys will I get a deal?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bean Counting Moles?

I'm not really sure what the bean couting moles have to do with my head gasket leaking. It is a first year bike and these things are to be expected. My problem is the dealership. They are responisble for making sure I am happy and I post only positive comments for the bean counting moles to find. I love my V-Rod and I would buy another (probably a Dyna Wide Glide first though). I just want to make sure I am not going to hurt my bike by riding it while there is a problem. I'm not sure what I would do while my bike was sitting in the shop for a long repair. I talked to another dealership yesterday. They said it is a problem that has been addressed in the 2003 models. I am still under warranty (factory + 6 years) so they are going to replace my head/valve gasket and the gasket over the area referred to as the primary in a standard Harley.

My main objective is to ride - Not to sit there and make money off of hiding known problems from the public as to not hurt stock prices. :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have a valve cover gasket leaking in the same place. It's in the shop being replaced today. Is not a bad leak, just weeping slightly after the bike has sat for a while after running. I was told by the dealership that they have had a few others with the same problem. Just keep an eye on your oil level until you can get the gasket replaced. The valve cover bolts are around 1/4 inch bolts, so I'm guessing they shouldnt be torqued much more than 12 - 15 ft. lbs. Your jugs are aluminum too so be careful. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Fugly. I'm going to take your advice and just keep an eye on the oil level until the riding season is over. I don't think I would make it very long without my V-rod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts