V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HDWRENCH, I have an 06 Ultra with the 95 stage II thats just not up to the performance requirements that i need! I am looking at having the Revolution 98 kit installed and would like to have your opinion on Pistons, cam, and slip on mufflers that would work well with this set up.. I ride solo 90% of the time with a group that really pushes the limit at times (ground exhaust and primary cases often). On ocassion i do some long distance fully loaded 2 up so i also would like to maintain somewhat decent MPG. I am looking for 105 / 110+ Here is the build i am looking at doing.
Revolution 98 cylinders
CP Pistons 10-1 ???
SBC scotsman head work on 06 heads
Andrews TW44G cams ???
SE adjustable push rods
Crane lifters
Baisley spring
SERT
Stock exhaust head pipes with slip ons ???

TIA
Mike

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Not the Wrench, but you never get even close to those numbers with those heads, 90 HP tops, maybe 95 with a
98"
Look at Deweys dyno's.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Hey Hippo did you not used to/still work for SBC???? Just asking because I know a lot of guys that took your advise over the last few years and went with the aforementioned heads that are not gonna be very happy to hear you reccomending something else now.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yes, I worked with SBC for years and retired a little less then a year ago. The numbers I mentioned then are the same numbers I mention now. This is also why I know exactly what the capabilities of some combinations are.
The industry changes, people are making higher numbers now then they did then, you sit still in R&D and you get passed over, and to some extent the bikes have changed every year lately also.
There also have been changes in price points, ie an item that is a good purchase at $X may not be such a good purchase at $2X, in particular when other options have come on the market at lower cost.
IMO the fact that I'm not commercially involved with any of the head or cam guys now allows me to express my thoughts without consideration of who is going to make a buck on a deal.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Ok we can make those number but we can not use the head you are looking at. This is a formula that will get those numbers. WE can make 104-108 tq and mid 90's hp with a 37g cam and SE slips but beyond that we need more compression and more cam, as well better flowing heads. Feel free to give me a call

Try this

Deweys heads
tw8 or a 5w
10.5 comp
roller rockers
push rods & covers
throttle body and larger air cleaner
lifters
bypass spring

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Toyman said:
HDWRENCH, I have an 06 Ultra with the 95 stage II thats just not up to the performance requirements that i need! I am looking at having the Revolution 98 kit installed and would like to have your opinion on Pistons, cam, and slip on mufflers that would work well with this set up.. I ride solo 90% of the time with a group that really pushes the limit at times (ground exhaust and primary cases often). On ocassion i do some long distance fully loaded 2 up so i also would like to maintain somewhat decent MPG. I am looking for 105 / 110+ Here is the build i am looking at doing.
Revolution 98 cylinders
CP Pistons 10-1 ???
Andrews TW44G cams ???
SE adjustable push rods
Crane lifters
Baisley spring
SERT

TIA
Mike
Mike, I'll jump in here if you and the WRENCH don't mind. Deweys heads with the 98" and a TW6HG cam with all the goodies went out of here with big numbers a couple of weeks back. For your big bike with a little less aggressive cam try the Wood TW5 and Deweys. Less noisey, and a bit easier on the valve train than the 6H but still very strong.

Hey WRENCH, did you ask me for the dyno on that build??? Sorry if you did, just forgot.

G

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Toyman said:
Revolution 98 cylinders
CP Pistons 10-1 ???
Andrews TW44G cams ???
SE adjustable push rods
Crane lifters
Baisley spring
SERT

TIA
Mike
Mike, I'll jump in here if you and the WRENCH don't mind. Deweys heads with the 98" and a TW6HG cam with all the goodies went out of here with big numbers a couple of weeks back. For your big bike with a little less aggressive cam try the Wood TW5 and Deweys. Less noisey, and a bit easier on the valve train than the 6H but still very strong. The pipes?, a set of tuned baffle Cycle Shack slip ons. And as with any scoot, it's going to be dependent on the tuning with the EFI.

Hey WRENCH, did you ask me for the dyno on that build??? Sorry if you did, just forgot.

G

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
WE ran a 98 at 10.5 with the woods tw5 and a ported heads( owner had then done ??) with a cycle shack slip ons, and the bike made great numbers. 104 hp and 111 tq.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Rock

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS I did need that I was thinking you where sending it turtle express and I should get it some time before summer?? LOL Yes send me what you got on the 98 kits. I have to call Dewey later Got something brewin yea yea

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Hippo, I was not trying to Dog you out or anything, I was just curious. I meant no disrespect, I look forward to reading more tips and such from you.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No problem.

On some builds I just don't comment as I have either no personal experience with them or just one or two data points, but on others I have plenty of info.
When I used to build engines in a shop next to SBC for him quite often I used parts that customers supplied. Many of these kits were from vendors like HQ, BCG, UG, SE, S&S and a few others. Out of sheer curiosity I measured things and looked at details and in many cases I also know what they did on a dyno I trust, so it isn't like it is just opinion, there is data to (at least in my mind) back it up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seeing the numbers that the 37's are making I assumed the 44's might be about right. They always seemed to produce a little better than the 37's in the 95's with 10-1 compression. I know the Woods cam's produce better numbers, but dang they are noisy and hard on the valve train.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The 44's work well at 10 CR, I actually prefer them over the 37's in lighter bikes, but you are not likely to get 78 cc chambers on inexpensive reworked heads.

If we were talking SEp heads it's another story as they often have 78 cc chambers even though the spec is 76 cc.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Funny you should mention chamber volume, I received a set for port work and check the volume on every set. 85 on front and 91 on rear!!! I figure core shift was the main problem with the head the entire head verse's pocket is off. I have seen a few here and there that have been off a bit but never this far. COmplaint was low power, I guess it would run rather poor

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yeah, once in a while you find a "whooper".

Used to be much more frequent on the earlier TC's though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hippo, I figured that the little bit larger bore of the 98 would increase the compression to close to 10-1 with cometic .030 gaskets and 80cc chambers. Wouldn't the 44's produce just a little better numbers than the 37's then? Just speculating here,trying to get a little bigger cam than the 37's that would work well with the improved flow of the 06 heads without the noise and valvetrain strain of the woods cams.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts