V-Twin Forum banner

HDWRENCH 37 or TW6

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Seahag 
#1 ·
Steve, I have a new Streetglide that i want to install a set of cams in along with stage 1 ac, rolled thunder slip ons and 3:37 gearing. I am going to keep it at 88 this year and do the rev perf 98 next year. We are doing a 98 with 37's on a friends new ultra right now so I will see how it does. I have narrowed it down to either an Andrews tw37 or Woods tw6. What are your opinions on this? I have used the 37's before with great results but the tw6 seems to produce more torque throughout the rpm range.
Mike

#4 ·
Why waste the time and money now if you know you're going to do something next year anyway? You may change your mind on the top end and then need to install a whole new cam next year.

Just some advice from someone who took some bad advice from a dealer and had to change the cam on a 4 month old bike because it wasn't compatible with the rest of the set-up.

:duh?:

#6 ·
I did that on my 05 RK and when it was finally determined that it had a defective crank in it 8 months later I was SCREWED big time! :yikes: $3500 later and a great running 103 that just wasn't all that reliable. I do not want to go down that same road again, so this time I'll do a really strong 88 with chain drive cams for the first year and see if it is a reliable motor before i do the 98. Besides i think it would be alot of fun building an 88 that would embarass the factory 95 builds, what do you think?
Mike

#7 ·
I think HDWRENCH just answered the dilemma. I had a 37 in a stock 88" and it ran real good at 80HP/85TQ and surprised a few guys with 95" ers, but it comes on a little later than the 26. The 26 will be similar with better torque down lower. If you gotta do it, listen to Steve's advice at least.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm a tighta$$....and unless there was a considerable gain with the Woods cam (which I doubt), I would buy the Andrews TW-37 over the Tw-6.

The reason is simply dollars and cents. You will pay about $300.00 more for the Woods cams because they do no have volume discount buys like the ones jireh cycles, wallyscycleworld, and directparts can give you on Andrews and S&S products.

I paid only $530.00 for my TW-55G cam kit...including the cams, gears, bearings, and even a gasket. It was around $800.00 for the woods gear drive at the time I purchased about a year ago. I don't know if www.directparts.com is still selling at that price, but they are a forum sponsor and may have other discounts available to VTF members.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.