V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I missed all the HD fanfare, but I ran across HDs new module that turns your rear turn signals into brake lights yesterday and wanted to pass it on in case there are other shut-ins like me.

I know that there have been aftermarket setups around forever, but this time I gotta give it to Harley...$44 and plug and play installation..what more could ya ask for? Install on my RK took all of about 5 minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
tackleberry1145 said:
Maybe I missed all the HD fanfare, but I ran across HDs new module that turns your rear turn signals into brake lights yesterday and wanted to pass it on in case there are other shut-ins like me.

I know that there have been aftermarket setups around forever, but this time I gotta give it to Harley...$44 and plug and play installation..what more could ya ask for? Install on my RK took all of about 5 minutes.
My understanding is that they now have a module that turns the turn signals into running and brake lights. New this year.......I heard about the new module on another forum. I haven't seen it yet. I have the same module as you on my XL 1200C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
Harley has had a brake like conversion kit out for years. The new one (69461-06) adds the running lights. It looks like they don't make the old kit any longer.

My buddy made his rear turn signals into running lights years ago. I feel like during the day there isn't enough contrast between the running and stop lights. The brake lights jump out at you more when the taillight is a running light but the turn signals are dark. Then when you hit the brakes, its much more apparent when the turn signals are suddenly bright. My 2 cents.
 

·
Terrorists suck!
Joined
·
647 Posts
thatoldbike said:
I feel like during the day there isn't enough contrast between the running and stop lights. The brake lights jump out at you more when the taillight is a running light but the turn signals are dark. Then when you hit the brakes, its much more apparent when the turn signals are suddenly bright. My 2 cents.
I agree with that! It is like coming into a room with lights on and turning on a lamp versus coming into a dark room and turning on a light. Big difference to me. Okay that is my .02. I guess this thread is now worth .04! LOL-2$en#e- -2$en#e-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
thatoldbike said:
Harley has had a brake like conversion kit out for years. The new one (69461-06) adds the running lights. It looks like they don't make the old kit any longer.

My buddy made his rear turn signals into running lights years ago. I feel like during the day there isn't enough contrast between the running and stop lights. The brake lights jump out at you more when the taillight is a running light but the turn signals are dark. Then when you hit the brakes, its much more apparent when the turn signals are suddenly bright. My 2 cents.
:thumbsup: I am also in agreement with that!:thumbsup:
 

·
N.R.A.
Joined
·
772 Posts
Now add Heavy Cycles LED rear fender brake/running light. You will not believe how bright that puppy is. It over powers the stock brake light. I have that plus the HD turn signal light module and left them yellow. Rear end lights up like a fire truck when I brake. I feel MUCH safer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
101 Posts
goingsking said:
I have the brake/turn module and like it, if they have the running light/brake/turn unit now, I think I may go for it.
Kuryakyn has had the module for quite awhile. You just have to change your lenses to the red ones (since amber/yellow is designated as being a turning lamp color and is restricted from being a running lamp)

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=2577

Or you can go with the Panacea setup, which does the same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,983 Posts
Vettely said:
Now add Heavy Cycles LED rear fender brake/running light. You will not believe how bright that puppy is. It over powers the stock brake light. I have that plus the HD turn signal light module and left them yellow. Rear end lights up like a fire truck when I brake. I feel MUCH safer.
Where do you get it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,460 Posts
by Vettely said:
Now add Heavy Cycles LED rear fender brake/running light. You will not believe how bright that puppy is. It over powers the stock brake light. I have that plus the HD turn signal light module and left them yellow. Rear end lights up like a fire truck when I brake. I feel MUCH safer.
GrayRider said:
Where do you get it?
www.heavycycles.com :clap: :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
just ordered the harley brake/run/turn conversion yesterday...might have to check out heavycycles now...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
mymatrix said:
Kuryakyn has had the module for quite awhile. You just have to change your lenses to the red ones (since amber/yellow is designated as being a turning lamp color and is restricted from being a running lamp)

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=2577

Or you can go with the Panacea setup, which does the same thing.
Works great plus you can set it to flash on off a couple of times when you hit the brakes..
I have the smoked lenses with red bulbs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
101 Posts
01RKRiney said:
just ordered the harley brake/run/turn conversion yesterday...might have to check out heavycycles now...
As far a fender tip lights go, Custom Dynamics has a couple of LED versions.
http://www.customdynamics.com/harley.htm

I have the front and rear Radientz versions ($28.45 each), which are pretty dang bright, but I didn't do the dual intensity tip ($89.95) like the Heavycycle model. I have a gazillion lights back there now and couldn't see spending the additional $60.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
thatoldbike said:
Harley has had a brake like conversion kit out for years. The new one (69461-06) adds the running lights. It looks like they don't make the old kit any longer.

My buddy made his rear turn signals into running lights years ago. I feel like during the day there isn't enough contrast between the running and stop lights. The brake lights jump out at you more when the taillight is a running light but the turn signals are dark. Then when you hit the brakes, its much more apparent when the turn signals are suddenly bright. My 2 cents.
Yeah, I also agree with that. Better contrast. Another addition would be good saddle bag lights. You know the kind that sits on top of the hard bags. Does anyone know where I can get these? Do you think they could be added on to the module?
 

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
Joined
·
3,291 Posts
tackleberry1145 said:
Maybe I missed all the HD fanfare, but I ran across HDs new module that turns your rear turn signals into brake lights yesterday and wanted to pass it on in case there are other shut-ins like me.
The rear turn signal/brake light module has been around for about 9 years BUT the one mentioned by thatOldBike (#69461-06) is fairly new. I've used the older model on several different bikes. Matter of fact they don't make one for my '96 FXDL so I fabricated one for it...anyway. I jumped out on the HD site to check out the FUD they are putting out on the new model.

LoL!! Sometimes I think HD has a foreign country write the text for their product discriptions. This is the discription on their website:

Flat Lens Style

Fits all '96-later Softail®models and '97-later Touring models equipped with Original Equipment flat lens style turn signals. (Does not fit with Narrow Chrome Directional Bar P/N 68611-98.)


Now what does this have to do with the module??

SORRY! back to the subject. Everybody I ride with has one of these modules mainly at my suggestion. You CAN be seen with one.

o~\o
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
And for the money, its the best saftey modification you'll make to your bike.

The Kuryakyn Panacea and the Heavy Cycles are nice. But damn, they are expensive as hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
I have seen other commentary on the Kuryakyn Panacea and how bright the stop light is, but I've also read concerns about how dim the tail light is.

Do any of you have feedback on the "non stoplight" visibility of either the Kuryakyn Panacea or the Heavy Cycles lights?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
101 Posts
Texan said:
The rear turn signal/brake light module has been around for about 9 years BUT the one mentioned by thatOldBike (#69461-06) is fairly new. I've used the older model on several different bikes. Matter of fact they don't make one for my '96 FXDL so I fabricated one for it...anyway. I jumped out on the HD site to check out the FUD they are putting out on the new model.

LoL!! Sometimes I think HD has a foreign country write the text for their product discriptions. This is the discription on their website:

Flat Lens Style

Fits all '96-later Softail®models and '97-later Touring models equipped with Original Equipment flat lens style turn signals. (Does not fit with Narrow Chrome Directional Bar P/N 68611-98.)


Now what does this have to do with the module??

SORRY! back to the subject. Everybody I ride with has one of these modules mainly at my suggestion. You CAN be seen with one.

o~\o

Hmm, likely the reason the kit doesn't fit the bullet style lights is because the kit includes Red lenses for the pancake lights. It's illegal to run amber lenses on running lights.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top