V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Craptacular
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They had a map that matched my bike and I have had trouble finding a tuner in this area so I thought I would give it a try. I loaded the map and took it for a ride ran poorly. Pinged worse than ever 60 degree weather and no hard pulls. I though I would try to modify map and found that the starter map was for a 96" motor and I have a 103". I tried some modifications but pretty bad. I sent them an email explaining the problem and asking for a refund. Much to my amazement they called me back the same day, said I had the wrong pipe and would find something that would work or credit my card.
Last I heard from them. No new map and no credit on my card.
Just looking at the map, I am no expert but they did not even start with a map that is close. Harley has a pretty good map to start with not sure why they would not use that.

Marc

·
Just Wanna Ride
96 Posts
I had a similar experience back in 2005 when I bought my FLSTCI. It my case I had an exact equipment match (AC, exhaust, etc.) with their map. Lesson learned.

·
Opinions Vary
161 Posts
It'd be quite a public service if someone registered HMMAPSSUCKS.COM and marketed it enough where people wouldn't continue to get ripped off . . . .
I've yet to see a post from a satisfied client . . .

MFouts said:
They had a map that matched my bike and I have had trouble finding a tuner in this area so I thought I would give it a try. I loaded the map and took it for a ride ran poorly. Pinged worse than ever 60 degree weather and no hard pulls. I though I would try to modify map and found that the starter map was for a 96" motor and I have a 103". I tried some modifications but pretty bad. I sent them an email explaining the problem and asking for a refund. Much to my amazement they called me back the same day, said I had the wrong pipe and would find something that would work or credit my card.
Last I heard from them. No new map and no credit on my card.
Just looking at the map, I am no expert but they did not even start with a map that is close. Harley has a pretty good map to start with not sure why they would not use that.

Marc

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah I had the same problem and was also told I would recieve a credit on my account.Total BS.
I wouldnt piss on Matt Gross if he were on fire.He owns HDMAPS.COM and how he has gotten this far without being SHOT in the head is beyond me.
When I disputed the claim with my card company,I was told I would need to prove it was a defective product.I explained that it was a downloaded map for a fuel injection and wasnt an item that could be easily registered as defective without a mechanic loading the map into a bike and so on and so on.Even then there was no way to know if I had altered the map on my own,so it was a dead issue..

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
While it won't help your map situation any, I hope you guys called your credit card companies and filed a dispute on the charges. Disputes work wonders to either resolve the situation or get your money credited back to your account.

That's one of the two or three reasons why debit cards suck....little or no legal protection. Credit cards have all kinds of safeguards.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Trooper,I used the GM card for the purchase just in case I had trouble.I tried to call them on the phone to explain the situation,and find the best way to file a dispute.i was told I had to do it online,so I did.I emailed all the info I had and each piece of correspondance I had sent and recieved from hdmaps.com.I was also told that it would take 8-10 weeks for the dispute to go through.
After a few phone calls and e mails I was told that I would have to prove that the product was defective.I explained that it wasnt a matter of producing a broken part or item as it was a map for a fuel injection system simular to a program on a disk.The customer service rep told me I would need proof anyways and I asked how was I supposed to prove it and what info would be acceptable.I was told I would need to produce a letter from a mechanic or other professional that the map was defective.
Now Im not sure how it is in other parts of the country but here you wont get a HD mechanic to take the time to examine a map that was bought on the internet,when its taking money out of his pocket in the first place.It just aint gonna happen.Id be laughed out of the place.
I tried all the routes to get my cash back and it didnt work.I also thought the card company would help but that isnt the case.
Im not nieve and consider myself a sharp consumer but this is a kick in the arse to say the least.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Sandhog said:
Trooper,I used the GM card for the purchase just in case I had trouble.I tried to call them on the phone to explain the situation,and find the best way to file a dispute.i was told I had to do it online,so I did.I emailed all the info I had and each piece of correspondance I had sent and recieved from hdmaps.com.I was also told that it would take 8-10 weeks for the dispute to go through.
After a few phone calls and e mails I was told that I would have to prove that the product was defective.I explained that it wasnt a matter of producing a broken part or item as it was a map for a fuel injection system simular to a program on a disk.The customer service rep told me I would need proof anyways and I asked how was I supposed to prove it and what info would be acceptable.I was told I would need to produce a letter from a mechanic or other professional that the map was defective.
Now Im not sure how it is in other parts of the country but here you wont get a HD mechanic to take the time to examine a map that was bought on the internet,when its taking money out of his pocket in the first place.It just aint gonna happen.Id be laughed out of the place.
I tried all the routes to get my cash back and it didnt work.I also thought the card company would help but that isnt the case.
Im not nieve and consider myself a sharp consumer but this is a kick in the arse to say the least.
Wow....I recently filed disputes by phone with Citibank and, I believe, Chase. The second one could have been Amex...don't recall for sure. Both took the disputes by phone and granted immediate credit followed shortly by a permanent credit notice. It won't help your current situation any, but you might look into different CC companies and check their dispute policies. I think they can require written notice, but I've never had to do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts