V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a HD but am about to purchase my first possibly a brand new one. I was curious what the deal was about the waiting lists to get your bike.
I've heard rumors that it takes two years for some bikes.....is this true?
If so, why and what bikes in particular? I'm contemplating an Ultra Classic or possibly even a standard. Would a certain color cause me to wait longer?
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
In a few parts of the country this may still be the case, but I doubt it. Plenty of dealers have them sitting on the floor and are selling for MSRP out of territory, just look around. The only model that is very hard to get right now is the FLHRSEI and to some extent carbureted FLTR/FLHR's

·
Registered
259 Posts
In the Denver area, the only new unsold bikes on showroom floors are Sportsters, and all the dealers charge over MSRP with a waiting period.

From reading other posts, it seems to me that your best bet for finding an MSRP bike available today is to look for dealers in California and Texas.

Waiting periods occur because there is more demand for Harleys than there are Harleys to fulfill the demand. A few years ago a 2-3 year waiting period was not unusual, but these days 3-9 months seems to be the norm. But it also depends on which dealer you order from. I've gotten my last two Hogs from a small dealer in rural Utah who doesn't do a lot of volume. I had to wait about a year both times.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am new to HD too.. I just ordered my first about 2 weeks ago.. a Dyna Lowrider (FXDL) I was told to expect it around the end of April.. I also ordered mine from a smaller dealer...1250 above MSRP...It was a better deal than I found at the larger dealers ... They had lowriders stock but about 2000 to 3000 above list and not the color I wanted ...I will wait til it warms up anyway. :cool:

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Last year during the floods in NJ the local HD dealer was forced out and recently moved into my town in a brand new spank'en building, huge. They have over a dozen on the floor in all models with others, all kinds, crated in the warehouse. I walked in 3 weeks ago, asked when the next pearl white RK classic was arriving, they said last week of january, i said, is it spoken for, they said no, i said, here is $16,995, I added the additonal 4000.00 in chrome and it was mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plenty of new bikes on the showroom floors here in Michigan. Increased inventory has forced several dealers to come back to selling at MSRP within the past couple of months.

Flycasterjoe,
Looks like you and I share the same taste in our Harley's. I picked up my 2002 Pearl White Road King Classic the Friday before Christmas. Between engine work and chrome I put about $4000 in my new scooter as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you order a new HD, do you have to put down some kind of non-refundable deposit?
When do you start making payments.......when you actually pick it up?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes, you have to put 75% down when you order the bike, and payments start immediately even before the bike comes in.

flycasterjoe, $4k in chrome on the RKC? I thought that bike was pretty well chromed out already in stock form. What in the hail did you add for $4k?

No wonder we don't have any bikes in Colorado - jlshooter's dealer has 'em all crated up in his warehouse!

I was kidding you about the down payment, etc. Most dealers require $1k-2k down, and the rest upon delivery.

·
Registered
259 Posts
12,000...............gulp............dollars? Mighty nice ride, but jeepers. Willie G must send you a Christmas card each year, thanking you for putting his kids through college.

The really good thing is that you've made me feel much better about all the money I've spent on my three Harleys. Many thanks, my friend!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Smooothglide said:
Yes, you have to put 75% down when you order the bike, and payments start immediately even before the bike comes in.

Ha!!:D The worst part is after talking to some of the local dealers, I actually believed this at first!! It wouldn't surprise me at all!!

Is it just me, or are HD's the only thing in America that you negotiate to see how close to MSRP you can get as opposed to how much less than MSRP you can deal down to????

My new Dodge truck had a MSRP (or sticker price) of $37k. I bought it for $31k flat out the door. What's the point in HD having an MSRP if dealers aren't going to sell at that??

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
add ons

My error, poor choice of wording. $4000.00 in add ons which include chrome. Add ons such as, stainless steel braided cables, chrome front end, lights, etc , chromed all mechanical part on the handle bar, upgraded mirrors, grips, sideboards front and rear, factory alarm, 6 yr maintenance, got the fan/bubble storage bag for bike, v&h pipes, SE kit, I'm sure there is more so when you look at it, i got alot for my $$$$.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
$$$

Oh yeah, the bike arrives in appox 7-14 days and i have not put a cent down. I simply told them i would write them a check for the full amount this week when they get the paperwork that the unit is on the truck. Once the correct vin numbers are provided then i can bond the insurance. How's that for a negotiation?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm looking for an MSRP dealer in New England (or close). Anyone know of any? I see ads in the biker mags for dealers that say they have 1000's in stiock, no waiting, etc. Anyone ever try these places? I wonder, because if all I had to do wsa take a quick flight somewhere to pick up a bike and cruise it home, that would be so much fun!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Higmo said:
if all I had to do wsa take a quick flight somewhere to pick up a bike and cruise it home, that would be so much fun!
Yeah, but just remember that you can't go over 50 mph for the first 50 miles, and can't go over 55 mph from 50-1000 miles, while varying the RPM's the whole time. So, you'd be taking the side roads all the way home. On the other hand, it'd be all broke in by the time you got there.:cool:

·
Registered
259 Posts
dragula07 said:

Is it just me, or are HD's the only thing in America that you negotiate to see how close to MSRP you can get as opposed to how much less than MSRP you can deal down to????

What's the point in HD having an MSRP if dealers aren't going to sell at that??
Yep, it's you! Remember the first model year of the Mazda Miata, the Audi TT Coupe, the Plymouth Prowler, the Dodge Viper, and Chrysler PT Cruiser? Car dealers wouldn't even look at you if you weren't willing to pay several thousand over sticker. When my mom bought her first Honda Accord back in 1980, she had to pay $2,500 over sticker, and the waiting time was 9 months.

I think HD assigns the MSRP so you'll believe you got a sweet deal after paying $18k for a damn motorcycle. OOPS! Did I say "damn motorcycle"!?? O Harley Gods, I beg your forgiveness!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Higmo said:
I'm looking for an MSRP dealer in New England (or close). Anyone know of any? I see ads in the biker mags for dealers that say they have 1000's in stiock, no waiting, etc. Anyone ever try these places? I wonder, because if all I had to do wsa take a quick flight somewhere to pick up a bike and cruise it home, that would be so much fun!
Once the weather breaks, I know of 2 dealers, north of Pittsburgh PA. Street, Track, & Trail of Conneaut, PA and New Castle HD of New Castle, PA... both sell at MSRP, both reputable. Might be worth a shot to call either or both of them to check them out.

It would be a nice ride home, though. Good luck... :)

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
That's true smoothglide, and you can even add the ill-fated Pontiac Fiero to that list when it first came out...and now the Ford T-bird.

I still think though that HD is unique in that they do it on their whole model line-up and have kept it alive for years. Everybody complains about what the dealrs must be making but I think the real crime is the high MSRP itself and how much HD (the company) makes. Take a look sometime at the accounting breakdown of their profits on HD motorcycles divided by how many they make.

Cars are a little different in that buyers have come to expect some kind of deal off MSRP, rebates, cheap financing since Lee Iaccoca offered that first rebate check way back when. car MSRPs are inflated because we had been conditioned to only buy way under MSRP. HD has conditioned us to only buy at the inflated MSRP and up by keeping supply so low for so long.

I understand them being a little more than the Metric bikes......but $18,000 for an injected two-tone Fat Boy including prep but not taxes is nuts....and thats only if you can get it at MSRP. I suppose the only thing that makes it halfway acceptable is the fact that resale is so good....but the first recession after this 100th Anniversary year is gonna wipe that out real fast.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts