V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a trip upto Canada and the Blue Ridge Parkway, But that is another story.

This has to do with a freind of mines bike. He is riding a 2002 Ultra. We left the Gateway city on the 7th of Sept. heading out 70 made it to Indy, when he said his bike was running funny. The bike is completely stock, even has the factory hand grips.(yuc)
Anyway back to the problem. He would let off the throttle the bike would keep on cruising. Would not decrease engine speed. Also the engine was sounding terrible. So he shut the bike off and coasted to the shoulder. Upon further inspection we noticed the air cleaner assembly was loose.
He restarted the bike and it sounded like someone put marbles in the cylinders. Shut it off and get on the cellphone. Called Southside Harley in Indy. One top notch place. They sent out a trailer and picked up his bike. I followed them back. The guy that picked us up said that this place does alot of drag racing and that they would get us back on the road quickly.
Well they took the bike right in and started tearing it down. First prolem that started this was. The two piece intake system HD uses on the new injection bikes. The two little screws that hold the throttle body on the intake manifold, the heads broke off allowing the two pieces to slightly move apart. So when he closed the throttle it was getting just enough air in the seperation to not let the engine idle down. The worst part was that the threaded part of the screw ended up inside the engine. It got sucked into the front cyl. Chewed up the head and piston.
The Southside Indy shop had him up and running in 2 and a half hours with a new head and piston.
Come to find out that my freind who is from Houston said that one of his buddies in Houston had the same problem.
So watch those two little screws that hold the two pieces together.

St. Louis Bob
2001 FLHTCUI Lux. Rich Red

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It seems to be pretty common. The first one was fun, it happened to a friend with a 02 RoadKing, but he is stationed at the embassy in Honduras and we had to figure it out over the net.

Looks like finally someone invented unintended accelleration after Audi tried unsuccessfully for years.

It would be the first time though that the screw is sucked into the intake, it seems almost impossible due to the configuration. Two and a half hours is a exceedingly good time for the repair. :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea it was quick. They put two of their race mechanics onit and they were good.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A motorcycle with a dead man cruise control, is any body from HD reading this. Audi had major liability/public relations issues that took them years to recover. How about WillieG or somebody from Harley on 60 minutes, Dateline, etc...

It is good to hear about the dealer responding so well. Try calling San Jose HD and see how long you would be waiting, forget about coming out to get you.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
While I was talking to the factory concerning my "chirping" sound, I mentioned this topic. He said that yes their was an issue with earlier production runs but they corrected this production problem. Didn't get the date for we were talking about something different (and this post slipped my mind) but my bike was a May 02 build month and he said that definitly I did not have the issue. Thats all I know, sorry next time I have to remember all the questions in here. :(
Brian

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If there is a question in your mind all you have to do is remove the two little bolts and put them back with red Loctite. No big deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts