V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install HD touring mufflers on my '05 Ultra. I only want a nice exhaust note. My air cleaner and EFI map will remain stock.

I am considering HD #65259-00 and #65255-96. With the exception of price, HD's web site makes no distinction between these pipes. Questions:

1) What is the difference between #65259-00 and #65255-96?
2) Which (HD) pipes are better for my configuration?
3) Will I have a lean condition (I live in IL)?
4) Any other problems?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
65115-98B (from the SE catalog).

Do the breather and Stage I reflash. It's definitely worth it.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
lean condition (I live in IL)
Man, I've noticed most up here are on the heavy side. :D

definitely do the stage 1 backing plate, a get a separate K&N air cleaner and I strongly suggest getting a fuel adder, like the Techlusion TFI module so you can at least get more fuel into the motor under certain operating conditions. Your motor will run much better and I think you will like the difference.

·
Lookin' for '09 FLHRC
84 Posts
Mufflers

The #65259-00 are for '95 and later bikes. They also have the better chrome job to resist dicoloration.
I don't think you will have a lean condition until you change the air cleaner.

I just recieved the 65115-98b mufflers today.
I do have a DFO, upgade on the air cleaner and the remap.
Before, without the DFO on anything but stock mufflers it ran very lean.
New AIR CLEANER being the key to lean. DFO corrected that.
Looking to relpace DFO with Power Comander shortly.

Can't wait to hear them this weekend!

?prty: ?prty:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I searched for 65115-98B on Harley's web site but nothing came up. Anybody got a link to the product page?

·
I'm gonna powder his nose
537 Posts
Harley-Davidson® Touring Mufflers P/N 65259-00 1995 up

These chrome performance mufflers resist discoloration and provide the ultimate in street-legal sound. Just add the end caps of your choice, and your ready to rumble. (End caps are not included and must be purchased separately.) (Not legal for use on California catalyst-equipped vehicles.)

Touring Mufflers P/N 65255-96 Years 1985-1994

These newly designed mufflers utilize welded-in baffles and eliminates the wrapping material used in the earlier design. In addition, the flow of the exhaust gases has been re-routed to improve performance and better distribute heat, improving cosmetic durability. Designed for easy, bolt-on replacement of stock factory mufflers. Kit includes an improved baffle design and a pair of mufflers with mounting clamps. Shown with Howitzer® End Caps. End caps sold separately.

Screamin’ Eagle® Performance Mufflers P/N 65115-98b 1995-up

These race track proven mufflers have been updated to improve cosmetic durability while delivering the increases in torque and horsepower that racers need. Featuring and embossed Screamin' Eagle® logo these mufflers will definitely keep you looking good in the winner's circle. End Caps not included and must be purchased separately. For Race Application ONLY!
*95-up WARNING IMPLICATION: Harley-Davidson® voids warranty when performance parts are added or modified. *Note: Installing on motorcycles operated on public roads may be prohibited or limited by local, state, or federal laws and may be restricted to closed course competition. Not legal for sale or use in California on any pollution-controlled motor vehicles. *Note: These pipes may not meet EPA standards for 82-up Harley® road use. *Warning: Some pipes may reduce right cornering clearance. Note; There is no warranty on exhaust or mufflers with regard to any discoloration(blueing) is caused by turning characteristics, cam timing,carburetor jetting, overheating, etc. and is not caused by defected manufacturing. *Caution Harley-Davidson® motorcycles modified with some Screamin’ Eagle® high-performance engine parts must not be used on public roads and in some cases may be restricted to closed course competition.
http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewiteminfo.asp?SKU=65115-98b&SKUQuals=

·
Registered
769 Posts
my suggestion is to save your money ,, ride your new bike 20 k and it will sound pretty much like it will sound with the touring mufflers...... Noise is fatigue ,, you dont need more fatigue on a touring bike.......spend your money on hotels on the road.......you can see alot more of america from the saddle than you can from the parts counter or reading the parts book on the crapper......rat

·
Lookin' for '09 FLHRC
84 Posts
Screamin Eagle 65115-98B

Geoff
They are in the Screamin Eagle / Race section.
Try this.
Go here and download the 1.8MB exhaust pdf.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/content/pages/racing/screamin_eagle_parts.jsp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US&HDCWPSession=DvWLNJgQ6dv6jJNP3XJv9wMgRTgdKF4JpnKQCsxcd2G2T9hQDQGk!-1408360015!-215179590

I'm putting mine on tomorrow. Been thru Hell and high water deciding on pipes / mufflers.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
Whatever you do, avoid the SE one-piece performance mufflers. Very annoying note. Maybe the worst I've ever heard.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Does anyone have the HD 65259-00 mufflers along with the SE re-flash and the SE A/C? I currently have the flash and the SE A/C and would like to go with a more quiet (restrictive) muffler such as the 65259-00. Just wondering if the bike will run right or will I have to go back to the original intake configuration? I need something quieter for touring. :hmmm:

·
Registered
225 Posts
njyamahauler said:
Does anyone have the HD 65259-00 mufflers along with the SE re-flash and the SE A/C? I currently have the flash and the SE A/C and would like to go with a more quiet (restrictive) muffler such as the 65259-00. Just wondering if the bike will run right or will I have to go back to the original intake configuration? I need something quieter for touring. :hmmm:
I have that exact set-up and I haven't had any problems with it. As has been said earlier, the "00's" are almost stock-like when you first install them but as time goes by, the exhaust note changes a bit and becomes a bit more "throaty." I can still hear my tunes without a problem!

·
I'm gonna powder his nose
537 Posts
Geoff:

IF you do not want to fiddle with the EFI and intake, but plan to do mods in the future, why not get SuperTrapp slip ons? they are tunable and will work with stock intake/EFI then when you want to add more performance items they can be tuned to those items. You cannot do that with any other muffler out there, you are stuck with the flow/sound they offer.

Some people just do not like SuperTrapp because they may have had problems with the discs OR they just do not understand how they work, but for someone that is planning to make mods later on OR if you live in a Northern climate you can make small changes to the discs to compensate for cooler/hotter ambient temps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
786 Posts
njyamahauler said:
how do the Kerkers compare to stock and the touring mufflers?
The Kerker slip-ons are the same muffler as the H-D performance muffler ending in the 98B part number,(button head capscrews for the tips, not the countersunk screws) Kerker made the H-D performance mufflers for years but I don't think so now. One nice thing about the Kerkers is the step reducer at the end of the baffle, which helps to reduce popping if you have that problem. If the pipe is a bit too mellow for you then grind off the spotwelds, remove the reducer for loud. Get the standard baffles, not the PAT baffles. These pipes are nice and mellow with a decent bark as you roll up the RPM's.
Stock and H-D touring mufflers are just about the same, put about 5k miles on the stockers and they wil lsound like the touring ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put the Kerkers on my 05 RKC. I found the Kerkers to be a bit harsh under full throttle and to have a raspy exhaust note even under cruise. They're not all that loud, but the raspiness does get old after a while. Perhaps that's my problem - maybe I'm becoming too old - but I'm inclined to try the Touring mufflers to get the throatiness w/o the rasp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts