V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tackled removing my lower fork legs this past weekend. I noticed alot of the bolts where torx and 12 point sockets. Digging around my tool boxes proved to be a pita! Can anyone tell me what are the average sizes and type torx, sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers i would need to create a "HD Tool Box"? I know there are hundreds one can utilize. Im looking for some kind of general must have tools to do just about anything on the bike. This could be very helpful for others as well. Well... to n00bs like myself. :D TIA

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
t27,t40. I think 12pnt 10mm and 1/4. Someone can verify. After set of allens. I prefer 6point sockets. I do have one set of 12. Headbolts are 12point. Set of wrenches. I think rear axle is 11/16, going on memory. Most of it you should have if you do other stuff.
3/8 and 1/2 drive. Deep and shallow. Retaining ring pliers if you get into clutch.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
If you don't have a tool box, I would suggest visiting sears and get a good roll around cabinet. Then you can have different screw drivers, sockets, etc., all at your side in the sizes you need.

I have a drawer organizer of some kind in each of my cabinet drawers so I can sort the tools easily like this one.

I have a set of torx bits all lined up for easy access, standard and metric sockets, etc., all in that one drawer easy to get to.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
1/2 breaker bar comes in handy. Set of chisels and punches. rubber mallet. Electrical meter.

I would start with wrenches,sockets, socket and T handle allens, socket torq. Shallow and deep well 3/8 drive. These are the things in my mind most men should already have in the garage.

Then just buy as you need.

I would get torque wrench too. I started with just ft/lbs for years, when doing engine work bought inches. Which I probably should have had the first time I went in primary.

Also locktite.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I have tool chest. One drawer standard wrenches, one standard 3/8, one standard 1/2. Then one with specilty stuff. And big one top full of crap. Also one with all metric.

Personally I never found tool set I liked, built my own. Most people have some stuff already. Also how many damn screw drivers do you need.

Also couple differant size channel locks come in handy. Needle nose pliers too. Utility knife, wire strippers, diagnol cutters. Lot of this is stuff you use around the house.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You all for your suggestions. Yes, most of them I allready have but i have them spread out through out several toolboxes. I am trying to round up all the ones i need to work on my bike so that i can move them from my storage area, and move them into a tool box for the HD. I have WAY to many tools to carry them all out. Thanx a bunch for the help. ;)

[off-topic] Could someone tell me what size twelve point socket will disasemble my brake calipers? 10mm removed the big bolts. What are the smaller two. Thanx [/off-topic]

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I think it 1/4 12pnt for breaks. Somebody????

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I'm fairly sure that a lot of the bigger Torex screws are T-45. That was the one Torex socket that I bought at Discount Auto Parts, (3/8" drive.) :hmmm:

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
aren't we forgetting the tq wrenches, the most importat h-d tool? inch and ft lbs are a must when wrenching

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Yeah, Torq wrenches both inch and foot are a must. I have those in one of my drawers in a nice organizer.

I got all my organizers from www.harborfreight.com. They have good prices on things like that including non-skid liners already cut to fit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Torque Wrench in in-lb

TXCHOP said:
aren't we forgetting the tq wrenches, the most importat h-d tool? inch and ft lbs are a must when wrenching
Where do I get one for the low values needed on some fasteners? All I've found are ft-lb and start at 15 to 20 ft-lb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You will want an inch-pound torque wrench. Sears has them... but you can check around on the net and save a few bucks by watching for sales, etc.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
OneBlackFly said:
Where do I get one for the low values needed on some fasteners? All I've found are ft-lb and start at 15 to 20 ft-lb.

www.harborfreight.com sells a 1/4 inch drive 20-200 inch lb. I have a 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch I got there that is ft lbs also. I have seen a 3/8 20/200 inch lb that I want to add to my tool box also. I just need to go to The Tool Shed to pick it up.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Cruz Tools has some pretty good travel kits.
http://www.cruztools.com/

The MOCO also sells a pretty good kit but it costs about $200. I got a list of all the tools in the kit, went ot Sears and built my own kit for less than $100 and it has EVERYTHING I need.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanx berserker and JRS! I purchased the "12 pnt. - 1/4" wrench this morning and it fit like a glove. :thumbsup: I'm making my list for the HD toolbox. Thanx everyone! Keep em coming! ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
The "Fix My Hog" DVD is a good start and when you get the DVD you can get the script on a pdf file that lists the tools used in the DVD.

MJ

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good Tip mjdeucea, You wouldnt happen to have that .pdf now, would ya? :D

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts