V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
?? concers the running light/turn signal module that HD offers. Would someone who **has** the module installed answer this for me please.

The Badlander module I have seen that serves this same function operates like this: rear signal light is on (running light), when you turn on the directional signal - it starts to blink. When the directional signal is turned off, the light goes off for a few seconds and then turns on as a running light. Having followed bikes with the badlander module I do not like it - every damn time it resets and turns on I instinctively grab for a brake cause I see a new flash of red light. Just don't like that at all - for the record maybe the newer badlander modules does not do this - no idea.

What I'd like to know from someone who actually **has** the HD module installed, is if it workes the same way. In other words, when the turn signal turns off, does the light turn off for a few seconds and then turn on as a running light?

Normally I just change the guts of the signal housing and rewire - my g/f thinks this may be easier.

TIA

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Rustler, I don't know if Harley makes more than one type but the one I have installed operates as a brake light and turn signal, not running lights. Both light when the either brake is applied. When the turn signal is on with the brakes applied one stays on the other blinks. When the turn signal is cancelled with brakes applied both lights are immediately on, no delay. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The HD thingie just plugs in and operates like Dawg said. The Badlands you have to splice in. Kuryakyn has a new module for about 29 bucks that plugs in like the HD module and has all three functions.

I have used the Badlands modules on other peoples bikes due to the need to additionally equalize the load, and now and then ride behind them and have never observed the behaviour you mention. Maybe there is some sort of bad connection or a defective module on the particular bike.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the HD module on my '02 Roadking and like the others have said it only makes the turn signals function as brake lights and turn signals, no running lights.

The front and rear signals on my bike are the same housings, the only difference is the front ones have dual filament bulbs and the rear have single. I was going to change the rear sockets to dual filaments but it will not work on my bike as the socket housings are different. So, I bought a set of front signals and installed them on the rear and soldered the third wires into the running lights on the pigtail for the taillight. They work great, but it is more costly than buying the kuryaykn module, but I already had the HD module and the new signals were cheaper for me than buying another module.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts