V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I guess this is an over used question, but what is the better oil for 88B motors in Florida?

·
Banned
169 Posts
I guess I don't see why you would want to use a oil with friction modifiers in the motor if the clutch (BT) has it's own oil supply. I know, I know, everybody and their dog has spoken to a oil engineer. Mostly at Mobil by the sound of it. Guess what, I did too...He uses Mobil-1 15w50 auto oil in his Twin cam for just that reason, as does Donnie Peterson and quite a few others.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Mobile 1. I even run it in my lawn mower. The thing is nearly 15 years old and runs like a top.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mobil1 v-twin is a full synthetic oil..... HD syn3 is a synthetic blend.....that says it all

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry to chime in this thread.
I use AMSOIL. JMHO you can't buy a better oil.
When spending $20,000 on a motorcycle why use a inferior
or buy oil just because its less money????:huh:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would use Mobil 1! Have used it for years without ever having any oil problems at all! I have 214,000 miles on a hard worked engine in my Chevrolet Express cargo van, loaded to the hilt and to this day it still runs like the day I brought it home with only 100 miles! I just do not see any reason to change now!

·
Registered
98 Posts
ahill said:
I would use Mobil 1! Have used it for years without ever having any oil problems at all! I have 214,000 miles on a hard worked engine in my Chevrolet Express cargo van, loaded to the hilt and to this day it still runs like the day I brought it home with only 100 miles! I just do not see any reason to change now!
no reason to change at all..theres been a flood of amsoil dealers on other motorcycle boards,,the few that tryed to sell there stuff just got a rashing of **** and left...just a way to drum up sales...its like selling avon

·
Registered
81 Posts
plasterhead said:
no reason to change at all..theres been a flood of amsoil dealers on other motorcycle boards,,the few that tryed to sell there stuff just got a rashing of **** and left...just a way to drum up sales...its like selling avon
I guess I missed something????I never even brought up Amsoil here!
But, As for Amsoil dealers getting a rash of ****! I have nothing against Amsoil, but like this very question, the person was asking a concern between Syn 3 AND Mobil 1 , not even bringing Amsoil into the question, yet, here it is Amsoil was brought up!
Just maybe some do not want to pay just for the right to buy or some might not want to pay to have it shipped and wait for the oil to come in, when they can just go and buy it at a parts store or something!
Again, Amsoil might be very good oil, and the difference might look big on paper, but as to the total damage to actual engines, I would bet, it is not as bad as the info put out wants us to believe!This is just my 2 cents worth!

·
Registered
98 Posts
ahill said:
I guess I missed something????I never even brought up Amsoil here!
But, As for Amsoil dealers getting a rash of ****! I have nothing against Amsoil, but like this very question, the person was asking a concern between Syn 3 AND Mobil 1 , not even bringing Amsoil into the question, yet, here it is Amsoil was brought up!
Just maybe some do not want to pay just for the right to buy or some might not want to pay to have it shipped and wait for the oil to come in, when they can just go and buy it at a parts store or something!
Again, Amsoil might be very good oil, and the difference might look big on paper, but as to the total damage to actual engines, I would bet, it is not as bad as the info put out wants us to believe!This is just my 2 cents worth!
You didnt miss anything..your still sharp as a marble..:cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
synthetic?

The major advantage synthetic oil to you the customer if you're not a nut and try to stretch out oil change intervals (a false economy if there ever was one) is that synthetic oils maintain viscosity better in heat. And air cooled engines are not well known for having perfect temperature control. So, use synthetic in your heat-producing, lean-running TC 88.

Your TC sprays oil on the underside of its pistons for cooling. Guess what conducts the heat away? There are other threads on oil coolers, oil temps, etc., but use of synthetic minimizes heat-related oil problems. If you're never stuck in traffic, no big deal, I guess. But I'm not always that lucky.

My bikes have always used synthetic, as well as my other air cooled engines.
(Since I don't own an older Porsche or VW, that doesn't include my cars). No problems with any, including Briggs&Stratton and Honda lawnmowers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Red02FXST said:
Sorry to chime in this thread.
I use AMSOIL. JMHO you can't buy a better oil.
When spending $20,000 on a motorcycle why use a inferior
or buy oil just because its less money????:huh:

I needed a good laugh

·
Registered
129 Posts
I believe any of the synthetic 20w50 oils are just fine in a TC engine...this whole debate is splitting hairs.......I'll never go over 3000 miles between oil changes to save $25 after I spend $16,000 on my dream cycle. I'm using Syn3 and maybe sometime Ill try Mobil1 but Amsoil is way too much like Amway for me. After seeing the vitamin division link on the Amsoil website that just xxxx-ed out Amsoil for me for the next millenium. Amsoil is just hype!! And now that I said that I'm certain there is some born again moonie Amsoil freak pulling up in my driveway pushing the Jehovah's Witnesses out of the way to ring the doorbell first.:duh?:

·
Registered
792 Posts
KBFXDLI said:
I believe any of the synthetic 20w50 oils are just fine in a TC engine...this whole debate is splitting hairs
I couldn't agree more.
KBFXDLI said:
I'm using Syn3 and maybe sometime Ill try Mobil1 but Amsoil is way too much like Amway for me. ... Amsoil is just hype!!
You just disagreed with yourself.
I use Mobil1, if I had as easy access to AMSOIL I'd probably give it a shot. As you said earlier, all syn 20W-50s are fine; these two appear to be the finest.

Don't totally rule out AMSOIL - while some of the AMSOIL delaers might come across like Amway jealots, Geroge (one of the resident AMSOIL folk on this forum) seems totally straightforward and honest.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
I think Mobil 1 or any other major brand of a FULL synthetic is a better choice than Syn 3 for an engine.

I don't think Mobil will tell you their V-Twin Mobil 1 is the best choice for your trans., they most likely would say their Mobil 1 75 / 90 gear lube.

That said Harley made the Syn 3 for all 3 holes, although there is argument for using any engine oil in a trans., Harley compromised to try to make it fill the bill for all 3 holes.

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
KBFXDLI said:
... And now that I said that I'm certain there is some born again moonie Amsoil freak pulling up in my driveway pushing the Jehovah's Witnesses out of the way to ring the doorbell first.:duh?:
:hystria:

Thanks, I needed that!

·
Registered
886 Posts
:hmmm:
Mysterous how AMSOIL always pops up in these threads...
...do ya think that if I put AMSOIL in my bike, and rode it backwards that I would hear satanic chants?
:hystria:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts