V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that my siren no longer makes noise. It is silent. I am unsure when this began, but I think it may have been yesterday. Any ideas what to look at this evening when I get home?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Other than no siren, does everything else with the security system still seem to work ok?
If yes, check the basics like making sure the siren connector is seated properly.
There are 3 wires at that connector, one is 12v from the battery, one is ground, and one is the logic signal from the TSSM.
Check for shorted wires etc if voltages are missing.

If all checks out, chances are the siren or the TSSM is bad. You can test the siren by connecting it to another bike and see if it works.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RK,

Everything else with the security system still seems to be okay. The siren had been working fine for the last year/20,000 miles.

I will check the basics and also look in my Electronic Diagnostic Manual when I get home. I was just checking if anyone basically knew of anything that one would not typically think about, e.g. I silent mode of the siren triggered by ...

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
dcfatboy said:
RK,

Everything else with the security system still seems to be okay. The siren had been working fine for the last year/20,000 miles.

I will check the basics and also look in my Electronic Diagnostic Manual when I get home. I was just checking if anyone basically knew of anything that one would not typically think about, e.g. I silent mode of the siren triggered by ...

Thanks,
I am unaware of a silent mode of the alarm activation. If the siren is connected and all is working as it is designed, the siren should sound upon activation.
FYI, my siren stopped working a few years ago and it turned out to be a bad TSSM.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Check its battery.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
RustyG said:
Check its battery.
My understanding of the siren's 9v internal battery is that its only function is to power the siren if the bike's battery is disconnected. This is called the siren's self driven mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
05 soffty deluxe smart siren

help all
i won a smart siren on EBAY
no instrcutons, where and how do install on 2005 softail deluxe efi?

i cant figure it out, please help me!

garage is open and beer is in frig.......cmon over
please email me

[email protected]

·
Banned
48 Posts
dcfatboy said:
I just noticed that my siren no longer makes noise. It is silent. I am unsure when this began, but I think it may have been yesterday. Any ideas what to look at this evening when I get home?

Thanks,
Did the siren start making 3 chirps instead of 2 when you set it? If it did, it was telling you that the battery was dying or that there was a power supply problem to the siren battery. The siren has a replaceable battery (Harley sells a kit with a new door, seal and battery) that does die after time. The battery in the alarm siren charges off of the bike battery - hence it is a parasite. If the TSSM sees that the battery has been trying to charge for more than 24 hrs, it chirps 3 times when setting instead of 2 when it is set as an audible warning.

Also, it is possible that the siren has just died and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Along that same line, if someone knows the Smart Siren II system. I just bought the system (68328-06) for a new Street Glide. It is still at the dealers getting 95 Stage II upgrade while I am small trip with Uncle Sam. I also ordered the pager (91660-06). Question; If I upgrade the older "sirens" on my 02 Dyna & wife's 05 Sportster, to the newer Smart Siren IIs, do I have to buy 2 additional pagers or can I link them all to the one pager????

If not, I would just keep the older siren kits on the other bikes. Way too much thought into what pager-what bike. I let myself into this stuff. Riding use to be simple.
Thanks

skip

·
Registered
65 Posts
Camera, you will need a pager for each bike. The pager can only be programmed for 1 bike at a time. Got this system, it works great, BTW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
road_king said:
There are 3 wires at that connector, one is 12v from the battery, one is ground, and one is the logic signal from the TSSM.
Check for shorted wires etc if voltages are missing.
I´m about to install a battery backuped siren to my alarm on my -01 Fatboy (the 01 models came without siren). This siren was 35 $ and an original was 200 $ in Sweden. In the connector from the bike there is 3 cables, but on the siren it is four (why cant it just be simple, equal amounts of cables with the same color coding. Lifes a bitch) Anybody smart enough to know wich is wich on the connector of the bike? Please?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thomas Emblad said:
I´m about to install a battery backuped siren to my alarm on my -01 Fatboy (the 01 models came without siren). This siren was 35 $ and an original was 200 $ in Sweden. In the connector from the bike there is 3 cables, but on the siren it is four (why cant it just be simple, equal amounts of cables with the same color coding. Lifes a bitch) Anybody smart enough to know wich is wich on the connector of the bike? Please?
Black wire = Ground
Brown/Gray Wire = 12v
Green/Brown = TSSM connector 11

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dcfatboy said:
I just noticed that my siren no longer makes noise. It is silent.
It turned out to be a defective pager transmitter. They are not sold separately, so I think I will get the new Pager II. Anyone need an extra pager :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Road King

road_king said:
Black wire = Ground
Brown/Gray Wire = 12v
Green/Brown = TSSM connector 11
It seems mr Road King is the wire king. Thanks Road King. You´re the hero of the day. Today I´ll defeat the snow in front of my garage and get dirty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dearest Road King
My English is not perfect and my electrical skills are hmmmm....
I defeated the snow, but got a bit worried to ruin my alarm.....
The siren has a minus trig cable and a plus trig cable.
I guess I connect the plus trig cable to the TSSM connector 11, and dont use the minus trig at all?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thomas Emblad said:
Dearest Road King
My English is not perfect and my electrical skills are hmmmm....
I defeated the snow, but got a bit worried to ruin my alarm.....
The siren has a minus trig cable and a plus trig cable.
I guess I connect the plus trig cable to the TSSM connector 11, and dont use the minus trig
at all?
Is the siren you are connecting a Harley Davidson siren?
The wire designations I gave you were taken from a schematic listed in the 2001 HD Electronic Diagnostic Manual.
The HD siren only needs those 3 wires to operate.
Even if the siren you are using is not a HD unit, I would suspect that it would still need a gound. Is there also a ground wire?
If I were to guess which wire goes to the TSSM, I would pick the plus trig cable. Keep in mind, I'm guessing at this point since it seems that the siren you are connecting is not a HD unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nope, no HD siren, coulnt afford it

The HD siren is 200$ in Sweden. I bought abother for 35$ on the net. Bad choice! Listen forumfolks, dont buy the 35$ alternative! Save and spend!
It was bigger than it seemed on the picture, so its difficult to mount it too! I´ve had the damn thing 3 months already and havent put it in yet!
Thanks to the King I´m finally about to do it!
Yo, King, do you think I should ground the minus trig?
As I said, its got 12v +, ground, +trig and - trig. I now know what to do with the first 3 cables, but the - trig....... ground or disgard?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thomas Emblad said:
The HD siren is 200$ in Sweden. I bought abother for 35$ on the net. Bad choice! Listen forumfolks, dont buy the 35$ alternative! Save and spend!
It was bigger than it seemed on the picture, so its difficult to mount it too! I´ve had the damn thing 3 months already and havent put it in yet!
Thanks to the King I´m finally about to do it!
Yo, King, do you think I should ground the minus trig?
As I said, its got 12v +, ground, +trig and - trig. I now know what to do with the first 3 cables, but the - trig....... ground or disgard?
If its got a wire marked ground, use that one for the ground. No need to ground the - trig wire. My guess is to leave that one disconnected.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts